Anyone else experience this?

peallen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I have been watching MNF OTA the past few weeks and everytime I watch it for a while I get this small black box that has some lettering in it, placed on the upper left hand corner of the screen. Looks like code of somekind. I can hit the info button on the remote and it goes away until the banner goes away and it comes back. I change channels and watch something non-OTA and it is there on those channels. But if I start on a satellite channel and watch that channel, say HBO it doesn't appear. Then if I go to OTA and watch it for an hour or so I get the box and it will follow me. I have to do a reboot and it fixes the problem until the next time.

The thing is that it is tiny. It bothers me because I know it is there. I'll try to post a pic the next time it happens.

Never seen that one on my 811.

A couple of years or so ago I had a very similar problem show up on my 501. I can't quite remember the fix but I believe it involved the Closed Caption setting on my TV.

NightRyder

It doesn't look like closed captioning but kind of DOS lettering. VERY tiny. I'll leave it on OTA tonight and try to get a pic.

I'll check it although I am positive that it isn't closed captioning. I mean I can't even read the stuff when I am at the TV. WAY too small. Probably not even a .25 of an inch.

peallen said:
I'll check it although I am positive that it isn't closed captioning. I mean I can't even read the stuff when I am at the TV. WAY too small. Probably not even a .25 of an inch.

The box I saw was slightly larger than that on the 36" Toshiba I had at the time, and at first it never occurred to me that it was Closed Caption related. Garbage ASCII characters in a small box appearing intermittently in the upper left of the screen. I know I blamed it on my 501 for many weeks and stumbled on the cure by accident. Just make sure CC is completely off in your TV setup.

Of course your problem may be totally unrelated to the one I experienced but the symptoms sure are similar.

NightRyder

Everything CC wise is OFF, I even turned it on to make sure. Saw the words on the screen and turned it back off. It is also turned off on the TV as well. Watched some OTA tonight hasn't happened yet, but camera is on stand by.

Here are some pics from last night

OK, I was watching MNF again OTA and the boxes came back. If I changed channels to watch something on the satellite the boxes remained, but they only appear when I am watching OTA, I have only seen it start on MNF though. When the banner on top of the screen is there stating what is on, it goes away. As soon as the banner goes away the boxes return. I have to reboot the 811 to get it to go away. Last night after a while, there were multiple boxes. Anyway, it is NOT the CC on TV or 811. Here are the pics:

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 169
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 200

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts