Anyone else get Windows 8?

I put it onto a pc that I upgraded. It was cheaper to get Windows 8 ($14.99 if you use www.windowsupgradeoffer.com and say you bought a new computer after July 2012 "there was no verification") than to get Windows 7, in order to have a 64 bit operating system. I had been using a pre-release of Windows 8 the past 2 months, so am used to it. My only complaints have been the lack of a start button, and that I haven't figured out how to make it boot into Desktop mode instead of the Start Page (I really don't care for the Start Screen).

I'd get start 8 but would rather just get used to the new UI. A few months later I have few if any real problems with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I got it just because of the cheap price. I am still keeping it in "metro" view most of the time.

Problem with Metro is that I tend to multitask a lot, and metro doesn't really allow for that. The reason I have a large widescreen monitor is to put more than 1 thing up at a time, and metro kills that.

I downloaded it over a month ago because I could get if for free through DreamSpark. I wasn't happy with Win 7 Pro x32 because PAE didn't do anything, and I wanted to UEFI boot. Windows 8 Pro x64 fixed all that, I now have boot times in under 10 seconds. After installing some software, boot time increased.

Windows 8 doesn't include any video codecs, Media Center costs an additional $10, and a lot of their support sites say, "use third party software for that" when they could have easily done it right the first time. I use my computer heavily for media-related tasks.

IE10 requires compatibility mode to be turned on to see Satelliteguys correctly and allow the 'enter' key to work. The site still doesn't look right.

I'm wondering how well explorer.exe and related programs out of 7 will work within 8 - the goal would be to have the kernel of Windows 8, but the UI of Windows 7 without "third party software". It worked with screen savers in the past.

It doesn't have backup options either.

Exiting the Start screen is the first thing I do. It's no longer called Metro because of a copyright infringement.

Last edited:
KC9TIK said:
I downloaded it over a month ago because I could get if for free through DreamSpark. I wasn't happy with Win 7 Pro x32 because PAE didn't do anything, and I wanted to UEFI boot. Windows 8 Pro x64 fixed all that, I now have boot times in under 10 seconds. After installing some software, boot time increased.

Windows 8 doesn't include any video codecs, Media Center costs an additional $10, and a lot of their support sites say, "use third party software for that" when they could have easily done it right the first time. I use my computer heavily for media-related tasks.

IE10 requires compatibility mode to be turned on to see Satelliteguys correctly and allow the 'enter' key to work. The site still doesn't look right.

I'm wondering how well explorer.exe and related programs out of 7 will work within 8 - the goal would be to have the kernel of Windows 8, but the UI of Windows 7 without "third party software". It worked with screen savers in the past.

It doesn't have backup options either.

Exiting the Start screen is the first thing I do. It's no longer called Metro because of a copyright infringement.

You can get media center for free by providing ms with your email info. They email you a product key within 24 hours.

I did a clean install of windows 8, so I have a newly formatted C: drive and a new registry. I think it works great. You can quickly get to a lot of system tools and file explorer by moving your cursor to the bottom left corner of the screen and right clicking, whether you're on the desktop or the tiles. I moved the taskbar to the right side of my screen and can still pin over 20 programs to it, as well as having other shortcut icons on the screen. I don't feel that I'm missing anything from Windows 7.

I don't think I'll be spending much time on the tiles, but it's nice for those whom buy a Surface or other Windows 8 RT tablet to have the same tiles in both places.

My current opinion is its a marginal upgrade from 7, some things look better and I get faster boot and shutdown times.

For $40 + $5 for start8, I'm happy. No way would I pay $100-$150.

Went smooth on the laptop....getting ready to upgrade desk top.

Shutdown is also a 10-step process until you get a shortcut. I put a command-line shutdown.exe shortcut on my desktop.
Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring up a power off button in the bottom-right corner. That's pretty much the only way I found to shutdown easily.

I did reconfigure the sleep button on my Logitech keyboard (FN-F11) to shutdown in order to make things even easier for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts