Anyone else get Windows 8?

Just put it on my home laptop last night (whilst the site was having "fun" no less). IE10 seems to crash on me constantly, but Chrome seems to work.

We'll try some more tonight to see if I can figure out the IE crash.

Just put it on my home laptop last night (whilst the site was having "fun" no less). IE10 seems to crash on me constantly, but Chrome seems to work.

Good luck with it and hope you figure it out :) It can be a pinta sometimes :)

Sounds like something got corrupted. Which IE are you seeing crashing the IE on the new Start Screen or the normal IE for your desktop?? Yeah I have seen Chrome cause some issues not only with Win 8 but Win 7 as well. Due to it overrides things on the system and there some security things it does not support with the OS like IE does. So basically it can cause issues with the OS. The 1st thing I would try is going to your IE settings "Tools" "Advance" then do a "Reset" on IE then bring it up and see how it works. If you have no crashes then you can adjust it the way you want. :)

Both seem to crash just after hooking in LastPass. I'll try your reset idea.

Thanks! (That's what makes this site great, people helping people).

Although people have been forcasting MS Windows fall from grace for the past 15-years, I'm actually seeing major cracks in the Microsoft fortress.

Yeah I think there is so much propaganda that people and not drinking the Apple Juice and eating the Ginger Bread as much. Reality Microsoft was slow to come out with a really good OS for awhile waited a long time. I think they have learned you cant wait too long and now they have gotten more serious about the touch market and the mobile market as well. So they will be fine and with all the top hardware manufactures on board as usually things will be big for them between now and 2014. Your going to see allot more new hardware coming out on the tablet side as well as the mobile.. So the competition already knows this that the giant is awake and they will be put in their ranks like it has always been. In the end use what you like but don't buy on trends due to in the real world things don't always work like the so called experts think it should the ones who know are those who deal with it on a day to day basis. But yes Microsoft adjusted somethings I think over the last year or 2 thats been good. These forecasters you can always tell who they are do to they all drink from the same well. So at this point the sky is not falling. :)

Last edited:
Poke:

There's a key on the keyboard labeled either RETURN or ENTER. When you use it it breaks up your typing into things called paragraphs. When your typing has paragraphs, it makes it much easier for others to read instead of being a giant block of text. Without them, it's hard to tell where one thought / idea ends and the next begins. Try it sometime, you might be surprised at how well it works.

Yeah I think there is so much propaganda that people and not drinking the Apple Juice and eating the Ginger Bread as much. Reality Microsoft was slow to come out with a really good OS for awhile waited a long time.

Poor sentence structure not withstanding, the world is moving towards a post desktop/laptop era. MS is very late to the game, and they have some huge ground to make up in the mobile market. Here, I'm referring to mobile as both the phone and tablet space. Android activations are north of 1 Million units/day. Apple has quite a bit daily as well although I can't cite you statistics. Has WP8 even activated its first million handsets? If WP8 can't keep up with the sales of the competition, let alone surpass it, MS can't make market share gains on the leaders. It's fairly simple mathematics to see that. The best they can hope for is to mop up with what's left. If 7 out of 8 smartphones sold run Android + iOS (and that's the current share) that leaves 1/8 for MS at best.

They are late to the game with their product so they have a very difficult time in the mobile space. They are haunted by their earlier failures and the brand image is tarnished. Steve Ballmer isn't Bill Gates, and he doesn't have the same gravitas either. For that matter, neither does Tim Cook compared to Steve Jobs. That it took years to come up with Windows 8 after the perceived failure of Vista and the modest success of Windows 7 (basically Vista polished up) means that they've become slow and cumbersome. This is the path to diminished relevancy.

In the mobile space, they basically cut off the WP7 adopters from an upgrade path. This is bad PR that they sincerely can't afford.
By comparison the competition (Apple and Android) have pushed multiple major versions of their mobile OSes.

The numbers are what they are, but feel free to argue the math if you'd like. Feel free to say that I eat too much Gingerbread.

Poke:

There's a key on the keyboard labeled either RETURN or ENTER. When you use it it breaks up your typing into things called paragraphs. When your typing has paragraphs, it makes it much easier for others to read instead of being a giant block of text. Without them, it's hard to tell where one thought / idea ends and the next begins. Try it sometime, you might be surprised at how well it works.

Poor sentence structure not withstanding, the world is moving towards a post desktop/laptop era. MS is very late to the game, and they have some huge ground to make up in the mobile market. Here, I'm referring to mobile as both the phone and tablet space. Android activations are north of 1 Million units/day. Apple has quite a bit daily as well although I can't cite you statistics. Has WP8 even activated its first million handsets? If WP8 can't keep up with the sales of the competition, let alone surpass it, MS can't make market share gains on the leaders. It's fairly simple mathematics to see that. The best they can hope for is to mop up with what's left. If 7 out of 8 smartphones sold run Android + iOS (and that's the current share) that leaves 1/8 for MS at best.

They are late to the game with their product so they have a very difficult time in the mobile space. They are haunted by their earlier failures and the brand image is tarnished. Steve Ballmer isn't Bill Gates, and he doesn't have the same gravitas either. For that matter, neither does Tim Cook compared to Steve Jobs. That it took years to come up with Windows 8 after the perceived failure of Vista and the modest success of Windows 7 (basically Vista polished up) means that they've become slow and cumbersome. This is the path to diminished relevancy.

In the mobile space, they basically cut off the WP7 adopters from an upgrade path. This is bad PR that they sincerely can't afford.
By comparison the competition (Apple and Android) have pushed multiple major versions of their mobile OSes.

The numbers are what they are, but feel free to argue the math if you'd like. Feel free to say that I eat too much Gingerbread.

Yeah don't get me wrong not saying Microsoft has done things right but I think they are learning from some of their mistakes and are starting to see somethings that they waited too see from other. Hey if you like the Gingerbread and Drink the Juice that is fine not saying those are bad things plus I deal with all of it dealing with users. In the end like I have always said and tell my friends to use what you like if you like Google and Apple that is fine they make some good things as well. My point was is mainly Microsoft not going any where is all and that people are finally starting to that their are plenty of options to choose from. What you choose is up to you is all so I really don't knock anyone for using something they like. So if you like the Ginger Bread or the Juice that's great that's what matters most.. :)

I did the reset and only turned back on LastPass and it's MUCH more stable now. I didn't like the interface at first, but it's growing on me.....

We'll see.

Although people have been forcasting MS Windows fall from grace for the past 15-years, I'm actually seeing major cracks in the Microsoft fortress.

The cracks are forming: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Windows-8-Devices-Microsoft-Sales,19430.html

NPD has said U.S. sales of Windows devices during the four-week launch of Windows 8 dropped 21 percent when compared to the same period a year ago.

The research firm said that the already-declining sales of notebooks decreased further by 24 percent. Desktop sales, meanwhile, sunk by 9 percent.

"After just four weeks on the market, it's still early to place blame on Windows 8 for the ongoing weakness in the PC market," Stephen Baker, vice president of industry analysis at NPD, said. "We still have the whole holiday selling season ahead of us, but clearly Windows 8 did not prove to be the impetus for a sales turnaround some had hoped for."

Curious about something.

There are a lot of posts in this thread about people tweaking Windows 8 to look and run more like Windows 7. Why not just keep Windows 7?

Curious about something.

There are a lot of posts in this thread about people tweaking Windows 8 to look and run more like Windows 7. Why not just keep Windows 7?

I dont think they are doing it for that reason, I know I did not. I "tweaked" it to have the start menu in desktop mode as I think that it is easier to navigate, in that mode, with that option.

Most of the time I use the metro interface though.

Even all else being the same, 8 simply runs faster and better IMHO. Worth the change for that reason alone, for my uses anyway.

I dont think they are doing it for that reason, I know I did not. I "tweaked" it to have the start menu in desktop mode as I think that it is easier to navigate, in that mode, with that option.

Most of the time I use the metro interface though.

Even all else being the same, 8 simply runs faster and better IMHO. Worth the change for that reason alone, for my uses anyway.

Faster load times, shutdown and navigating for me on my desktop, this notebook and looks like the netbook I put it on last night... I haven't needed the start button on mine, I go to metro>apps and find what I need pretty quickly.

If you are using Metro most of the time, then that makes sense. But many are installing Windows 8, putting the start menu tweaks on it to run and look more like 7, and then mostly using the standard desktop mode. If they are running desktop mode pretty much all of the time, then why not just run 7?

If you are using Metro most of the time, then that makes sense. But many are installing Windows 8, putting the start menu tweaks on it to run and look more like 7, and then mostly using the standard desktop mode. If they are running desktop mode pretty much all of the time, then why not just run 7?

For what was mentioned above. It is simply faster, in my experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)