Anyone Else Losing Signal?

SpencerCat

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
I was wondering if anyone else has been losing parts of programs recently? I have a 622 and live in the Tucson DMA. The weather has been good, with no significant cloud cover. I don’t use OTA.

On 11/25 the last 10 minutes of a network program were lost due to the “Acquiring satellite signal” message. On 11/26 the last 7 minutes of a network program were lost due to the “Acquiring satellite signal” message. In the second case, the message showed various satellite and transponder numbers, and “Progress: 0 of 5”, but it never got past “0 of 5”. After 7 minutes, the picture came back. The same thing happened about a month ago when we lost a 40-minute block of a one hour network program.

The HDD average temperature is 111 degrees. Signal strengths on 129/119/110 are 37/55/73.

This morning I unplugged the 622 for awhile, plugged it back in, and then ran the check switch procedure. Since the “Acquiring satellite signal” message appears only occasionally, I don’t know if the problem is fixed.

What should I do next? Wait and see if the “Acquiring satellite signal” message appears again, and then call Dish? Call Dish now so that they will have a record of my problem?

Thanks,
Richard

nope, might be your LNB might be bad or dish wasn't install right, call Dish Network. i had that issue before twice and had it fixed twice too.

Dish needs to be peaked

The 129 signal is too low. You should be getting over 50 on it. It looks like the dish has been peaked on 110 at the sacrifice of 129. Also you may want to get an ext HDD and hook it up and transfer shows just in case it is about to go bad (if you haven't already).

Followup Information

I called Dish on 11/29 regarding my loss of signal problem.

The CSR (very good, by the way) had me display several system screens, and the information on one of them indicated that my hard drive is going bad: a field had a value of -2 instead of 4.

They will be sending me a new (probably refurbished) 622, and it should arrive in a few days.

The hard drive is less than 3 years old, so it should not have failed, but Dish handled the situation well.

Richard

Interesting. I, too, am in the Tucson DMA and have been experiencing the same problem. The CSR I spoke with told me that it was a "known issue in the area" and that they were "working on it."

The hard drive is less than 3 years old, so it should not have failed, but Dish handled the situation well.
Three years is pretty much a career for a modern hard drive in DVR service.

You may have noticed that most consumer grade drives only carry a three year warranty now.

I have had the same problem in Indy with my 622 for the past few weeks. I called DISH and they wanted me to pay $50.00 for someone to come check my leased receiver".

Final Followup

After calling Dish on 11/29 about my failing 622, the refurbished 622 arrived on 12/2, only 3 days later, so I was quite happy. Especially since I didn't have to pay anything.

I was hoping for a 722, which I understand some people have received, but what I received was a used 622 with scratches and a little gummy residue on the top, probably from a sticker.

Anyway, it took about an hour to set it up, get it activated, and download the program guide. I wish there had been a way to import all my timers and channel lockouts, but, all in all, not a bad experience, and everyone with whom I spoke at Dish was helpful and pleasant.

Richard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts