Anyone else missing EHDs this morning?

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Mine (2) went away after last night's update. Came back after powering everything down.

Had this issue 2 days ago. But my atsc tuner dissappearing issue went away when I switched to a self powered EHD.
Before my EHD(usb no power) would be fine but will loose the tuner.

Looks like the USB power interfacing with the software is where the bugs are at.

No problem here. The 2 ehd's on each of my 2 HWS's show up. But that is not always the case. Usually at least 1 will. It's not a big deal unless I want to transfer to or watch something on the ehd

Disappearing EHD's has been an ongoing issue for the last three (two?) updates for weeks and weeks. Just red button reset after my regular morning (after the news) recordings, and it comes back. I'm sure it's a "known issue."

And maybe,eventually, it will get fixed when something else stops working the way it's supposed to.

You may not need to do a red button reset. Try unplugging the power supply from the ehd then plug the power back in. Often that will bring up the prompt for connecting an ehd. Worst that could happen is the Hopper will reboot.

You may not need to do a red button reset. Try unplugging the power supply from the ehd then plug the power back in. Often that will bring up the prompt for connecting an ehd. Worst that could happen is the Hopper will reboot.
Agree.

I'm running 4 EHDs for reorganization. When one stops (often) I can sometimes just restart it. I can usually unplug and replug just that one. It's a lot more hassle to do all 4 or wait for the recorder to reboot. I find, however, that I generally have to reboot a drive, not the whole thing, if I wish to change its being a "to" drive to being a "from" drive, or vv. Expect sometimes messing with the EHDs will start a system "soft" reboot.

The biggest help is the front LED showing activity. If it stops for more than 15 sec., it may be time for drive-power off-on. The stop may be longer while changing to another drive. The source of information is the Main Menu>External Hard Drive>Transfer page. This gives the Total and Free Spaces and Busy/Idle indication. (1TB drive = 931GB while the internal user area is 1231GB.)

Caution: error messages will say the drive number you last looked at, maybe, and not the real culprit.
You can only delete shows from the DVD>(location)>External Device menu, which limits it to just 2 drives.

-Ken

slightly off topic..but what is the steps for moving a movie or program from a EHD to the hoppers internal drive?

I just for some reason can't figure this out.

The same steps you take to move it from the Hopper to the EHD. Except that you pick the EHD (From) first then the the Hopper (Second) then press transfer....

The same steps you take to move it from the Hopper to the EHD. Except that you pick the EHD (From) first then the the Hopper (Second) then press transfer....

Aww ok yeah I really didn't know how to move them from the other way lol but I figured it out, you have to start in the menu then select the external. Thanks

Aww ok yeah I really didn't know how to move them from the other way lol but I figured it out, you have to start in the menu then select the external. Thanks
Don't feel bad, I have moved hundreds and I sometimes forget.
These are my steps:
(Sometime, reset the drive by un-powering or do a red-button reset at a convenient time, resetting all and the receiver too.)
Connect USB from drive to recorder. For simplicity, I'm talking about a single drive.
Power up the USB drive. Connector-powered drives may work but it's safer with external power.
With no menus up, press Menu + Down + Down + Left + Left (2L=3R) + Select (you are then on the Transfer menu.)
Select the FROM and the TO devices. They improved this by allow left and right selection of FROM, TO, Next.
Click the shows to move + Press Yellow to Transfer. (One at a time is more reliable than multiple, YMMV.)
If the time comes down to under 6 seconds and you have waited more than 20 sec, press stop.
It may instead come up with "An error occurred while transferring events to your "External Device #".
For multiple transfers the # is for the last drive set, not the offending drive, which will be at idle or not advancing.
When that does not work, you will have to reset the drive.
Do that by returning to the Transfer menu, if you can, and un-powering the drive, do a short wait and re-power it.
Sometimes this will effectively do a red-button reset so do it at a calm time.
If it says 'Events successfully transferred to your "External Device #"', then congratulations you have won.
Some events never will transfer even when they came in from another drive. Guess you will have to re-record.
Multiple events of the same name can be sent as a whole or switch to No Folders.
I have gotten a 2 indicator for 1 event and it gave some trouble.
I have had more than a dozen recordings duplicated--a no-no. And some were lost, I think.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts