switch (back) to Dish now, or wait (ie. any new equipment worth waiting for?)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

zim2dive

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Cary, NC
Was with Dish for 4-5 years, then figured I'd try Direct and switched 2 years ago.... without trying to get in to a D* vs. E* debate, I'm leaning towards switching back (I was always happier with the Dish equipment, GUI, etc.. I find my HR34 a constant aggravation)...

only thing I was wondering was whether there was any new gear worth waiting for (ie. the new Super Joey, etc). If it matters, I'm in the Raleigh NC area.. I know for D* it seems to often be a beta site for rolling out the new gear.

From a "requirements" point of view, a Hopper with 3 tuners + 2 Joeys would meet our needs (we aren't a family that needs 10 tuners.. the 2 tuners we have in the 622 were enough 98% of the time) .. but if there was newer/better gear available in 1,2,3 months, I'd be willing to wait rather than signing 2 years of life away on 2-year-old equipment.

Particularly interested in whether any wireless clients are on the horizon.

thanks,
Mike

Wireless Joey's were reviewed at CES as well as a Super Joey that when connected to a Hopper adds more tuners. As far as Hopper goes, I think for now nothing on the Horizon I think

You can make a Joey wireless today, or you can wait for the official wireless Joey in the Spring.

The Super Joey comes out in May. It adds two tuners to the Hopper plus a remote viewing location. Does not sound like what you'd need or want.

Go with a Hopper With Sling and your two Joeys.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

May would be the time to wait till. Any big news would be announced at Team Summit then and you could make a good decision based off the info then.

Personally, I would wait until there is a definitive answer (contract) with ABC/ESPN. I know Scott's "gut" says there's going to be a new deal signed, but I wouldn't want to be locked into a two year contract and then find three months later ESPN has been pulled because of a contract dispute. If you're not that big into sports, that might not matter to you.

My .02

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts