Anyone else quiting when the new prices kick in?

queefer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2004
Had Voom for 9 months good service.

But can't justify paying the extra 10 bucks I work for the .gov and our raise is only 2.9% Voom wanted a raise of 10%.

So I quit and went to Direct TV. Hopefully in 1 year Voom will still be around and finally a PVR with no bugs then I might come back because I don't like paying money to Murdoch.

Thanks for all the help from here on these forums I guess I need to start lurking the Direct TV forums now.

Stickin with VOOM

No I'll stay with VOOM. I just did a bit of comparison shopping with the local cable provider in my area and for all the same premium channels (as with VaVa Voom) and less HD content, I would have to pay about $145.00 with two rooms of service. I'm still "Officially Upset" about the new promotion and having to pay 14.95 per box. But, it still isn't that bad considering.... Unfortunately, I can't get D* because of trees. So Voom is still my best option. I hope they continue to add more content (starting to miss Lifetime and HGTV..oh and Food Network). They really need to get on the ball with these channels.

I will stick with VOOM and I am on SS diability and a former Government worker. As a Goverbment workeers 2.6% increase is far more than the average worker gets. But to the point, Why should I give up all the HD and change services to take on SD from Dish or E with very little HD. I think VOOM is a bargain and whatever happens with VOOM I feel as a consumer that someone else will fill the HD void. Until then, I will stick with VOOM. And I don't even have the premiums and don't want them. I would rather stick with the old movies in glorious HD. Better than the new ones out anyway.

queefer, I hate to ask how you came up with that name. ;)
I'm on the fence, with the crappy PQ, no PVR, no super dish, no new codecs that were all supposed to be here by now, I am having a real problem paying $64/month for this service. If I were only paying the programming fee, I would keep it, but $74 for Basic service and 2 boxes is way too much $$. :no Get the new codecs up and chase away the mosquitos and I just might consider it. :yes

I am undecided.

I don't watch VOOM enough to justify its costs. Most everything on it in HD I have seen many times over now.

And I do not watch any of their SD channels at all.

I wish they had a HD only package.

Is this talk about the start up customers loosing the price lock of 39.90 and being bumped up to $49.90?

Because the $49.90 price they got going now is actually pretty fair.

Since I'm a numbers guy I like to do some comparisons and when comparing just the "cable" networks of what voom has to what Dish AT120 heres what you get:

Dish AT120 - 63 Networks w/ 5 HD channels - $44.98
Voom Basic - 58 Networks w/ 25 HD channels - $49.90

I know most people don't watch the SD channels on voom, but it is a very good bang for the buck considering that voom is $4.92 more and you get 20 more HD channels than dish.

Keeping it. Any other package from any other provider pales. THe SD quality is better than D or E compared to my friends. THey can't believe the amount of HD I get. Sure, Im actually tired of looking at Cheryl Crows ass in HD, but it still better than most anything on SD channels. I smile whenever I sit down in the evening and watch Reanimator, or Easy RIder, or some other old cool movie and it's in HD. Not to mention Discovery, TNT, and the upcoming Universal HD (formerly Bravo)

Leaving to Direct.

Just more savings. HD Content anywhere you look is repetitive.

So HDNet will be fun for a while, like Cinema 10 was.

Since sports is my main attraction I get all local HD Sports, and ESPN-HD. This is simply what I watch the most, cause sports usually push's the technology first.

This weekend I had a real fight with myself whether or not to jump ship to TWC. The basic package TWC is now offering is $52.95 which includes rental of the HD receiver. Plus 8.95 for their HD pack. So for a little over 60 bucks I would get...CBSDT, NBCDT, FoxDt, ABCDT, PBSDT, DiscHD, TNTHD, INHD 1 INHD2, HDNET, HDNET Movies, and ESPNHD. Thats a good amount for 60 bucks a mth. Compare that to VOOM which would be the same price....CBSDT, ABCDT, FoxHD I am able to get OTA. I can not receive NBCDT or PBSDT in my area OTA...I have tried everything. I already am getting DiSCHG and TNTHD.....so it comes down is INHD 1 and 2 and HDNET and HDNET Movies worth me switching. Would I watch INHD 1 and 2 and HDNEt and HDNET Movies more or less than I watch all the VOOM exclusives. SO ....I have had VOOM for 9 mths I have yet to watch more than three movies on Cin10 , I like MonstersHD but havent watched it much lately, I havent watched any of the other ch's except for RaveHD which I like. But the concerts on INHD seem better to me than Raves. To answer the question...I will jump ship if VOOM rasies rates and doesnt add any HD. I want HD not Food Net or anything else. If VOOM added INHD 1 and 2 I would be on for the duration. I dont feel that Voom can justify raising rates for their most loyal customers without adding something. And if they do raise rates and dont add anything...like a DVR or the new format that has been talked about...it will be difficult to stay around.

I have signed up for cable and their HD-DVR.

Come January I will need to make a decision and I hope it will be Voom.
I would love to have Voom put me on hiatus until the DVR is ready. I think that would be the best deal for both of us but I can't get them to go along with the idea.

I dread going back to cable, good service good product, the owners are evil.

Kentstater72 said:
I have signed up for cable and their HD-DVR.

Come January I will need to make a decision and I hope it will be Voom.
I would love to have Voom put me on hiatus until the DVR is ready. I think that would be the best deal for both of us but I can't get them to go along with the idea.

I dread going back to cable, good service good product, the owners are evil.

UUUUMMMMM....are they(Voom) not owned by Cablevision.

I am sorry, Buckeye Cable is my cable company.
They are owned by the same group that owns the Toledo Blade, and I just do not like giving them my money.

The price increase combined with the recent drop in equipment rental is probably not too bad. As our contract equates to about $25 more per month due to leased equipment, the increase in programming cost bites hard.

I second Scott's statement on Voom addressing the issue of HD-Only option.

Comcast just turned on On-Demand in my area. With it comes HD PPV. Choices are pretty limited but at least it's a start.

I can say that my stb hasn't lock up because of this upgrade and I use a PIN!

VOOM will forever stay at release 6.20 I'm convinced.

You're talking about quitting 40+ channels of HD and going to what? 9 HD channels on D*? 10 HD channels on cable? That's a no brainer! I remember how depressing it was to scan HBO, Showtime & HDNET Movies on D* and if there was nothing on these 3 HD channels turning the set off or settling for DVD. Between Cinema 10 and the 10 Premium HD channels I can usually find something to watch. And thank goodness there's always MONSTERS for laughs.

Tvlman said:
You're talking about quitting 40+ channels of HD and going to what? 9 HD channels on D*? 10 HD channels on cable? That's a no brainer! I remember how depressing it was to scan HBO, Showtime & HDNET Movies on D* and if there was nothing on these 3 HD channels turning the set off or settling for DVD. Between Cinema 10 and the 10 Premium HD channels I can usually find something to watch. And thank goodness there's always MONSTERS for laughs.

I think that its a matter of what you want to watch. Yes VOOM has the most HD....but how could I count the ch's I never ever have watched for more than a couple of mins at a time. I dont count Ultra, or Auction, or Gallery, or Moov, or most of the CIn 10 ch's. If the 10 ch's on cable included INHD1 and 2 , HDNET and HDnet movies, DiscHD, TNTHD, and ESPNHD and all of your locals would that be enough? I really dont know. Sunday night I would like to watch a concert that will be on INHD2 live...but only my cable provider has that. The 10 Premium ch's is what makes VOOM worth it....but with Directv and VOOM in my house I cant afford the Va Va Voom pack.

I wonder why the Voom price is never compared to C-Band ?
I had seriously planned on switching to Voom, but with the current pricing C-Band is clearly still my best option.