New Pricing options please! Stop the madness

My Two Cents…

My personal experience with other companies has been that although they do raise prices to cover added cost, fees, etc., these increases are fixed amounts assessed to all customers and NOT a change to your pricing plan, unless you call to request an upgrade of some sort.

This has been the case with my DSL service in which I had locked in the lower rate (at the time) of $40, while all new installs were being charged $50. Now the service is down to $29, but I enjoyed the $10 difference for some time. My Cell phone plan is another example. I’m locked in at a very low price level, and although they have tried time and again to get me to upgrade, I have kept the same plan at the same low price for years.

Although my examples are not cable or satellite companies, I’m hoping that my experiences carry over to my Voom service, and if they assess a certain fee or increase, it will be a fixed amount added to all customers. And if I add a package, again it will be a fixed amount added to my current plan. I know this is wishful thinking, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed... :)

Voom4Me said:
And if I add a package, again it will be a fixed amount added to my current plan. I know this is wishful thinking, but I’m keeping my fingers crossed... :)
I'm pretty sure it's already been established that if you make any programming change the new prices kick in. :no

TheTimm said:
I'm pretty sure it's already been established that if you make any programming change the new prices kick in. :no

I guess we will find out if and when the new channels are offered independently of VaVaVoom. If a new tier is created, then the pricing increase can easily be worked into the cost of the new tier, but if they are offered as a package at a fixed amount, (say $10/month for XYZ) then I would expect my bill to only increase by the amount of the package added. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I don’t think Voom will advertise two different prices for a package.

Voom4Me said:
I guess we will find out if and when the new channels are offered independently of VaVaVoom. If a new tier is created, then the pricing increase can easily be worked into the cost of the new tier, but if they are offered as a package at a fixed amount, (say $10/month for XYZ) then I would expect my bill to only increase by the amount of the package added. Wishful thinking? Maybe, but I don’t think Voom will advertise two different prices for a package.
They already have packages available at a fixed amount. And I think if you order one, you're price goes up ten bucks plus the cost of the package. I hope I'm wrong, but I hate to see someone getting their hopes up uselessly. Maybe give 'em a call and see what they'd do if you wanted to order the STARZ pack or something now. Could be interesting. I'd do it myself but I'm very lazy and just not curious enough. :D

As far as the advertising goes, I don't think they'd advertise two prices -- they'd just let those of us with the old pricing know when we called...if we're lucky. Wouldn't shock me if they just didn't say anything and began charging the new rate and then said it was to late to go back when you call to complain. But sometimes I'm a glass-half-empty kinda guy. Trust issues. :D

Curiosity killed the cat…

TheTimm said:
They already have packages available at a fixed amount. And I think if you order one, you're price goes up ten bucks plus the cost of the package. I hope I'm wrong, but I hate to see someone getting their hopes up uselessly. Maybe give 'em a call and see what they'd do if you wanted to order the STARZ pack or something now. Could be interesting. I'd do it myself but I'm very lazy and just not curious enough. :D

As far as the advertising goes, I don't think they'd advertise two prices -- they'd just let those of us with the old pricing know when we called...if we're lucky. Wouldn't shock me if they just didn't say anything and began charging the new rate and then said it was to late to go back when you call to complain. But sometimes I'm a glass-half-empty kinda guy. Trust issues. :D

I guess I’m a curious type of guy. I called Voom and asked if adding any of the current packages being offered on the web site would change my current basic price from the $39 and was told by the CSR that as long as an individual package was added my basic rate would stay at $39 and that I would only be billed the additional $19 for the package. :D

I also asked if there was any way of ordering the newly added channels without having to upgrade to VaVaVoom or if there was any intention of offering them as a package in the future and she said not at the moment. :(

Voom4Me said:
I guess I’m a curious type of guy. I called Voom and asked if adding any of the current packages being offered on the web site would change my current basic price from the $39 and was told by the CSR that as long as an individual package was added my basic rate would stay at $39 and that I would only be billed the additional $19 for the package.
Well, back to glass-half-empty trust issues:
I've been around too long to believe anything a CSR says. Personally, I would have to hear to the same thing from several CSR's and read a post or two from someone on these forums before I believed it.
Also, if by chance they do just add the $19 to your $39.90, what happens if you get sick of the new package or decide it's not worth it and cancel it? Does the $39.90 remain $39.90 or bump up to $49.90? And remember, even if they say now that it'll stay at $39.90 after you cancel, there really isn't much you can do months down the road if this is incorrect.
But that's just me. If anyone else feels comfortable enough with info from a CSR, by all means go for it. Enjoy. And if it all works out -- and even if it doesn't -- please post it at SatGuys and let us know.

Been burned a few times?

TheTimm said:
Well, back to glass-half-empty trust issues:
I've been around too long to believe anything a CSR says. Personally, I would have to hear to the same thing from several CSR's and read a post or two from someone on these forums before I believed it.
Also, if by chance they do just add the $19 to your $39.90, what happens if you get sick of the new package or decide it's not worth it and cancel it?

Well considering that the new channels are not slated for any package or tier, at least in the near future (according to the CSR), the pricing issue is a mute point.

That being said however, I don’t think the CSR would make such a statement about pricing if it were not true. Inaccuracies about dates, type of service, technical details, etc., are one thing; quoting the wrong rates for service is something different entirely. But I will heed your advise, and make sure to confirm any rates I’m quoted and verify any terms for terminating service, if I do decide to take the plunge. :)

DarrellP said:
I'd go for an extra $10/month IF (and only IF) Voom did not consider it a program change and bump me up $20, this would not be acceptable.

Those of us with the grandfathered rates (39.99 and 79.99) are already on borrowed time. Voom announced over 6 months ago that those rates would be increased the $10 like everyone else on 1-1-05. I think the only thing that stopped that from happening then was the termoil in the company with the board. I fully expect us to lose are grandfathered rates when all this gets sorted out and if VOOM survives!!! I am more then willing to pay my extra 10 bucks a month to help VOOM suceed!!!

I must have missed the announcement.

richard_rd said:
Those of us with the grandfathered rates (39.99 and 79.99) are already on borrowed time. Voom announced over 6 months ago that those rates would be increased the $10 like everyone else on 1-1-05.

richard_rd, your post is the first time I have heard about an increase in rates, and I was wondering as to how Voom made this announcement to its customers? Was a notice mailed out or include in one of our bills or posted on the Voom web site?

Please keep in mind that not all Voom customers visit this forum, so posting something here, would not be the best way to announce an increase in rates.

Kuddos for Wealth TV, Jeers that I can't afford VA VA VOOM to get the only channel I wanted :(

This is what I think VOOM is going to do:

VOOM Package-$49.95 Includes SD & VOOM 21.

Marquee HD--$12.95 Includes Discovery-HD, Universal, TNT-HD, Wealth TV, and additional SD.

Sports Pack--$12.95 Includes ESPN-HD, ESPN2-HD, Outdoor-HD, NFL Net-HD, and SD sports channels.

Movies Plus Packs--$12.95 same as always

VA VA VOOM--All the channels

We need to not forget that Marquee and Sports Plus Packs are currently included free, but that could change at any moment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)