Anyone Else Using a WISP??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dgenx321

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Calcutta, Ohio
I think I'm in heaven. I live in a area where I cannot get cable or DSL. But I can get a Wireless Internet Service Provider(WISP).

All I have is a Motorola Canopy:

5700_sm___canopy_sm_module-1.jpg

That is on a pole in my yard. It hits off a tower about 1 mile from my house.

My normal download is between 3-4mbs and normal upload is 500-800kbs.

All for $30.00 a month.

Besides running a fiberoptic network for iptv/phone/internet, my company also runs WISP using cisco products. we've had great success picking up farmers and members of small communities that would have never had high-speed internet offered to them otherwise. We can reliably get to people within 6-7 miles of one of our many towers as long as line-of-site is good for them.

I just wish they'd open up the network for us employees to hop around the wireless canopy using their personal handheld devices.. then I'd never be disconnected from highspeed wherever I go in this part of the state ;)

I am part owner of a wireless internet company and the service is great for those in areas without DSL and Cable. It is a godsend. You are getting a steal at $30 per month. I think those in areas around large cities are more likely to get a better deal since there is more competition, better deals on bandwidth and lower costs due to more people being able to hit one AP along with more people in the area cutting the overall cost as the cost spreads out.

I've been very tempted to get a wireless isp, but good luck finding one.. search on the net and mostly what you'll find it all the freebie's in the area. Which if I were so inclined I could connect to using a higher powered antenna and a little luck.. :)

I just found a WISP in my area and I too cannot get cable or DSL. They are coming out to do a site survey and hopefully an install if I have point to poin with the tower. They too are $30 dollars a month.

Wholeshoe

What about VOIP through a wireless provider? Is it any good? They have a deal where I can get VOIP for $10 bucks a month and keep my phone number. Does 911 usually work through a VOIP provider?

Wholeshoe

It's been about 6 years since I personally used one (Welcome to DLS Internet Services - (847) 854-4799) but they were great. I only got rid of them because I promised the wife that once DSL or cable became available I'd get rid of them, she hated the antenna on the roof.

I've also had a number of work at home staff use WISP and except for one company in Texas that had an oversubscription issue on that antenna no problems with them either. As for VoIP, unless the antenna is oversubscribed resulting in high latency or reduced speeds, you won't have a problem.

VoIP for $10 a month is also a steal. I think 911 through any voice provider is a requirement now. VoIP and broadband for $40 would be an unbeatable deal. VoIP works great through a wireless provider if they have plenty of bandwidth or if they have quality control software to manage it in which they give the voice packets priority over the other data. They are also great for those that like to game and do work from home because the pings are usually really good. Usually VoIP is $20-30 per month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)