Anyone FTA in Cincinnati area?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
Just curious are there any fellow FTA folks in my area? I'm new at this and have two dishes stationary now. One at 101W and the other 123W. The 101W is an old 36"P...Star. The other is a 30" Wineg...
I have a motor that I've fought with putting on the 30" dish. I simply can't get it lined up correctly. I'm hoping to find a fellow FTA'er that can help me for an hour or so. Like most of us I can't afford to pay a couple hundred bucks for a D..network installer to hookup FTA. I just want to get this thing done, so my wife doesn't think I've wasted money. Thanks! Blind:)

Don't waste your $$ on a DN installer, you'll be lucky if he even knows what FTA is.

Get a cheapie inclinometer, set your dish inclination, and take your time. You may have to fab something to get it mounted, but once it's mounted and you can twist it on the post, you just have to fool with it until it works. A buddy in the house with a cell phone may be easier than dragging a reciever and TV outdoors in winter. Take and post some pix, lots of help available here. Don't give up.

Thanks! 4 the support

Well I'm thinking the motor is a SG2100? I'm doing that from memory...scary thought. It's an H-H motor. My issue is one lining it up on the arc...scanning and locking in something and then scanning and locking them all in. I tried using Usals today after I loaded in my Long/Lat etc...ran out of time. Holding the manual button in on the motor I can turn the motor east to west. Using the receiver and remote I can tell it to maually move using the button that says east-west. :confused:Someone who was good at this could finish it in 15 minutes probably. Oh well 68 outside today...lucky to hit 40 tomorrow. I'll mess with it maybe New Years Day. ThankS! Blind

Motor Latitude scale is set to Your Lat, do not use the Motor Elevation scale.
Since you had the dish properly aligned, was the Dish's Elevation scale off a few degs? If so, remember that when mounting the motor.

To me it seems easier to hit a Sat you are already familiar with, so I would have the Receiver drive the Dish using USALS to 101 or 123, whichever the Dish was originally pointed at.

You also might have one of the SG-2100s that has USALS issues. Search for the thread about it. I have one and I'm waiting to hear that DMSI has a real fix before trying to RMA. This issue shouldn't impact your true south or close satellites, so setup should still be normal.

SG2100 Issues

Can someone help me with the link to the possible issues with the motor? I spent most of the weekend messing with it again. Looks like if I try Usals I have no luck. If I try Disecq? I can move the motor east to west, if and when I found the bird I can store that setting. I think the motor I have is this issue....the issue that has driven me crazy now for weeks! lol. Thanks! to all for their hel pso far, Blind:)

Is this the motor with issues?

I found a link to the motor issues...several postings in november nothing since. Since i'm at work I'm not sure if 1. Mine is a genuine DM...motor or a knock off etc...Perhaps the knock offs wouldn't have issues? 2. Here's the exact motor that I have.
Got it from Galaxy M.....Moteck Digipower SG2100 Diseqc motor Sonset Digital. Any help is greatly appreciated. Blind:)

I can move the motor east to west, if and when I found the bird I can store that setting.
Are you Tracking the Arc?
Can you hit a Sat in the East, South, and West saving in DiSEqC 1.2 and not have to re-adjust saved DiSEqC 1.2?

I found a link to the motor issues...several postings in november nothing since. Since i'm at work I'm not sure if 1. Mine is a genuine DM...motor or a knock off etc...Perhaps the knock offs wouldn't have issues? 2. Here's the exact motor that I have.
Got it from Galaxy M.....Moteck Digipower SG2100 Diseqc motor Sonset Digital. Any help is greatly appreciated. Blind:)

If DiSEQc 1.2 motor positions work reliably, try adding 44° to your latitude in the USALS configuration and see if that is close. Experiment with the 44° number. :)

Definitely the newer "genuine" motors seem to have USALS issues, no idea on a clone. My STAB HH100 works so well I find this SG-2100 to be a disappointment by comparison. I guess I need to RMA it sometime soon or just live with this workaround. Either way, I can't recommend the SG-2100 to anyone as all indications are they are still shipping a defective product.

If DiSEQc 1.2 motor positions work reliably, try adding 44° to your latitude in the USALS configuration and see if that is close. Experiment with the 44° number. :)

Definitely the newer "genuine" motors seem to have USALS issues, no idea on a clone. My STAB HH100 works so well I find this SG-2100 to be a disappointment by comparison. I guess I need to RMA it sometime soon or just live with this workaround. Either way, I can't recommend the SG-2100 to anyone as all indications are they are still shipping a defective product.
I had problems with my newer genuine sg2100 when I tried it out. It came down and I finally had some time the other day to just experiment with it at the workbench. When using USALS it goes beyond where it should for all satellites to my west, which is everything west of 74°. I am going to try it with the new dish (Fortec 90cm) and the Mercury II with DiSEQc when I get a decent day to try it. I'll give the 44° thing a try as well. Got very frustrated :mad: trying to use it with the Visionsat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts