Anyone here like the Smooth Jazz format?

Been streaming smoothjazz.com using Winamp since 2002, been listening to Watercolors on XM since 2003 (and Jazz Cafe on Sirius when they were separate companies). While it mostly all sounds the same to me, I can pick out Michael Lington and his sax in a second.

I like the fact that this is a live FM station with real DJ's and is educating students at UNLV on how to operate a radio station. I hope to make a donation soon.

I do like Smooth Jazz, no vocals, maybe with a very few exceptions.

And I concur that smooth jazz is not the same as Jazz (classical or "real") very different.

I think the term Smooth Jazz started being used around the time Kenny G became known, and his music was played on the weather channel.

I find this track by Paul Hardcastle very soothing.

If you like a broader variety of Jazz (from Dixieland to sounds that only Jazz musicians could appreciate), give a listen to KMHD.org. They have been operating on the campus of Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, Oregon for a long time and went into partnership with the area PBS group (Oregon Public Broadcasting) a couple of years ago.

Just don't try to listen during a pledge period.

I'll be listening to the "Trad Jazz Show" later this morning.

Like with any music genre, there are plenty of subgenres. In addition to smooth jazz, I used to listen the nu jazz/acid jazz format that was on Beyond Jazz on XM and Planet Jazz on Sirius.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)