Anyone Interested in the Canadian Football League?

Bodo Fenrirsson

On Vacation
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
Grovetown,GA
I'm only asking because the CFL season starts this July 1st. I've been on the Winnipeg Blue Bomber forum trying to get a feel for the CFL. I know that it is hard to compare the CFL with the NFL talent wise when each league has players tailored for their unique rules. In my "fantasy world(filled with unicorns)" the NFL & CFL would merge & play a unique style known as "North of the Border/South of the Border" rules. In games played "North of the Border(Canada)," teams would play CFL(12 men,3 downs,110 yard field) rules. In games played "South of the Border(USA)," teams would play NFL(11 men,4 downs,100 yard field) rules. It is the same principle for inter-league play in Major League Baseball,the DH is used in American League ball parks,& the pitcher bats in National League ball parks. Of course purists would have a major conniption over such a "blasphemous" idea. Anyway,looking forward for the start of Football,even if it is the CFL that starts first,& Arena Football does not count.

Seriously,I understand that the CFL is a different animal entirely from the NFL. However,both leagues have been around for ages. It's hard to say one league is better than the other,each league has players tied to how they play(according to their rules). Doug Flutie,who was too small for the NFL,is a Hall of Famer in the CFL. The bigger playing field,& the fact that the defense lines up a yard from the football instead of right on each other like in the NFL,allows smaller QBs to flourish. Well,I'll find out. I'm going to order the broadband coverage of the CFL games from CFL Broadband.

I'm only asking because the CFL season starts this July 1st. I've been on the Winnipeg Blue Bomber forum trying to get a feel for the CFL. I know that it is hard to compare the CFL with the NFL talent wise when each league has players tailored for their unique rules. In my "fantasy world(filled with unicorns)" the NFL & CFL would merge & play a unique style known as "North of the Border/South of the Border" rules. In games played "North of the Border(Canada)," teams would play CFL(12 men,3 downs,110 yard field) rules. In games played "South of the Border(USA)," teams would play NFL(11 men,4 downs,100 yard field) rules. It is the same principle for inter-league play in Major League Baseball,the DH is used in American League ball parks,& the pitcher bats in National League ball parks. Of course purists would have a major conniption over such a "blasphemous" idea. Anyway,looking forward for the start of Football,even if it is the CFL that starts first,& Arena Football does not count.

Living in a border town with Canada, I have seen my share of CFL games on tv over the years. Yeah, I will watch some, when nothing else is on, however once the NFL season starts, I will watch very little other than just flipping through the channels. It helps when the CFL has some drawing power, like when they had Doug Flutie or even Ricky Williams. Right now, I doubt many on SatGuys can even name the league's teams much alone 5 players for Hamilton or Toronto the two closest teams to me.

Seriously,I understand that the CFL is a different animal entirely from the NFL. However,both leagues have been around for ages. It's hard to say one league is better than the other,each league has players tied to how they play(according to their rules). Doug Flutie,who was too small for the NFL,is a Hall of Famer in the CFL. The bigger playing field,& the fact that the defense lines up a yard from the football instead of right on each other like in the NFL,allows smaller QBs to flourish. Well,I'll find out. I'm going to order the broadband coverage of the CFL games from CFL Broadband.

Simply put: because the CFL has less talent than the NFL. Why would one settle for mediocrity when they could have the best?

Simply put: because the CFL has less talent than the NFL. Why would one settle for mediocrity when they could have the best?

While I agree with your point in general HD, the NCAA tournament is successful, yet with rare exceptions the product is vastly inferior to the NBA.

Sandra

While I agree with your point in general HD, the NCAA tournament is successful, yet with rare exceptions the product is vastly inferior to the NBA.

Sandra

Off they top of my heat, there is 1 major reason why college football remains popular and works as a secondary source of football entertainment, while the CFL will forever remain a distant 3rd or basically a non entity among most Americans....

TRADITION

In tradition, I speak of the unrivaled passion, rivalries that date back over a century, hallowed stadiums full of 100k plus screaming fans, larger than life coaches, loyalty of fans and alumn, the marching bands, fight songs, cheerleaders, mascots, the storied dynasties, the history of sacred teams. I could go on, but I think you get my point. The CFL doesn't offer any of those "intangibles" that let CFB work as a supplement to the NFL.

Off they top of my heat, there is 1 major reason why college football remains popular and works as a secondary source of football entertainment, while the CFL will forever remain a distant 3rd or basically a non entity among most Americans....

TRADITION

In tradition, I speak of the unrivaled passion, rivalries that date back over a century, hallowed stadiums full of 100k plus screaming fans, larger than life coaches, loyalty of fans and alumn, the marching bands, fight songs, cheerleaders, mascots, the storied dynasties, the history of sacred teams. I could go on, but I think you get my point. The CFL doesn't offer any of those "intangibles" that let CFB work as a supplement to the NFL.

Totally agree with that, although my point was more regarding NCAA basketball than it was football.

Sandra

Been watching CFL games for years, in July and August. Canadian football is better than no football. But when real NFL games begin in September, it's all over until next summer.

Was a fan when the Stallions were here in Baltimore.

I believe many give the CFL a bad rap, but it isn't deserved. The game is different enough to require a different skill set than the NFL in many positions. And there have been many people to play in both leagues with varying degrees of success. If I had more time and the CFL actually had a US TV contract, I'd watch it...

When I lived in Buffalo, I was able to see a lot of CFL games (close to the Canadian Border).

Canadian football intrigues me- I find it cool.

I really enjoy the CFL and its higher scoring and faster pace. It has also been a great launching ground for many all time greats. For example, I am originally from Edmonton and had the privilege of watching Warren Moon win five Grey Cups in a row (78-82) as quarterback of the Eskimos when the NFL would not give him a shot, and now he is a NFL Hall of Famer. Not to mention other players like Flutie, Garcia, and Theismann. Even though the overall talent level is not the same as the NFL I think it is still a fun and exciting game to watch.

Was a fan when the Stallions were here in Baltimore.

I believe many give the CFL a bad rap, but it isn't deserved. The game is different enough to require a different skill set than the NFL in many positions. And there have been many people to play in both leagues with varying degrees of success. If I had more time and the CFL actually had a US TV contract, I'd watch it...

They actually did have a US Contract last year. I was able to see the games on MSG+; as well as I get them on cbc and ctv out of Toronto.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)