Anyone Know About The Future Of NYC?

Yes616

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Poinciana Place, FL
I know it's way too soon to be asking about this but does anyone know if New York City TV transmitters will go to the top of the new World Trade Tower once it is finnished?

Originally they were at the top of the Empire State Building then moved to the top of tower 1 at the World Trade Center from the early 1970's until 9/11 then they went back to the top of the Empire State Building.

The new tower will be much higher than anything before. The transmitters could be as high as 1776 feet! That would really help us folks way out in the boonies as long as they don't cut down on the power at the same time.

Back in the early days of TV when the transmitters were on the Empire State Building, if you were in the city there was lots of "ghosting" then the move to tower 1 made things much better. I know. I was there.

For the last 35 years I have been around 80 miles away so I am not sure whats happening there now. Any NYC people care to chime in on this? I am high on a hill and VHF always was good when I used to have a Channelmaster Quantum VHF antenna. I never had (nor have my neighbors) UHF from NYC but I am still hoping it might work.

I don't want to get into a very crazy set-up with more than one antenna and I have no interest in lo-VHF so I am thinking about the Weingard HD 7698P and a Channelmaster CM7777 pre-amp / amplifier. A rotator is also a possibility so I can look at both NYC and Scranton.

Last edited:
Do you know if you will be alive on completion of the new WTC? Try waiting for reality.

There is an interesting dynamic in NYC. Some stations are looking at a distributed transmission system (DTS). With DTS, multiple transmitters would be located on medium height towers. DTS in New York offers advantages covering into urban canyons. Yet it's also possible that the DTS idea is a ploy to get more favorable terms from the WTC management.

In the event that DTS is deployed in NYC I'd expect poor results for distant reception.

There is an interesting dynamic in NYC. Some stations are looking at a distributed transmission system (DTS). With DTS, multiple transmitters would be located on medium height towers. DTS in New York offers advantages covering into urban canyons. Yet it's also possible that the DTS idea is a ploy to get more favorable terms from the WTC management.

In the event that DTS is deployed in NYC I'd expect poor results for distant reception.

Maybe they will have sort of combination system? A DTS system that works good in Manhattan and a traditional system for people outside the city.

All the main channels like CBS2, etc. used to have an analog UHF counterpart for many years. This was before their digital counterparts for around the last 10 or so years. I believe those counterparts were in fact what eventually became the original digital channels. Of course this all ended on June 12th.

So maybe they will have DTS on one channel then a separate traditional system on a different channel so they don't interfere with each other? Again, this is not too different than what they were doing for many years.

Is it possible that those UHF counterparts was DTS before? Maybe that was what that was all about. It would make sense.

To buckspaul: Where did you see that info? Maybe online? Do you have a link?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts