Please reply by conversation.

. Raine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 6, 2013
North America, CT.
8footdish.jpg

I have to go pick this up tomorrow morning, looks like the dish itself is probably toast but I'm hoping the mount and actuator are good. The guy who has it says it's an 8' and about twenty years old, that's all I know of it. Anyone know what it is?

Thanks!

Is that a steel mesh dish? That sure looks like rust all over it??

Last polar mount I saw like that was on that 12ft Connifer that I got screwed out of a few years back.

The dish mover motor cover is something I've never seen. It's not a Von Weise because all old ones that I've seen were zinc plated not painted. Super Jacks are black but so are the older Venture movers I've seen. Hard to say exactly what brand mover it is but that's not an issue as long as it works and IMHO it's about the only thing I see worth keeping. Your mileage may vary though. :oldwink

Reactions: . Raine
Picked it up early this morning. Yup, steel perforated panels. The mount made me think of the Conifers too, but it's not quite as rugged as those.

The actuator is a Superjack, bound up. Motor is good. The panels are rusty, but surprisingly still solid, but three are bent badly from the guy that had it just pushing it off the pole and letting it drop to the ground before he'd posted it up on to C.L. as scrap. Wish he'd left it up and let me take it down.

One nice thing about this dish is it has a Chaparrel C/Ku feed on it, made me happy to see that, made it all worthwhile.

Picked it up early this morning. Yup, steel perforated panels. The mount made me think of the Conifers too, but it's not quite as rugged as those.

The actuator is a Superjack, bound up. Motor is good. The panels are rusty, but surprisingly still solid, but three are bent badly from the guy that had it just pushing it off the pole and letting it drop to the ground before he'd posted it up on to C.L. as scrap. Wish he'd left it up and let me take it down.

One nice thing about this dish is it has a Chaparrel C/Ku feed on it, made me happy to see that, made it all worthwhile.

I hate it when people do that. I guess they think no one has any use for them. I found one a while back where the guy took a backhoe and ripped one off the pole. It looked like a nice dish before he started on it. I also found a 10 foot Perfect 10 where a guy backed into it with the shell on his pickup. It bent the outer rib on one panel in 2 places about 6 inch apart, warping the panel. I think I can take a short piece of square 1 inch tubing and three or 4 "C" clamps and bend it back in place.

May have to pull it back in place and then drill through the dish and tubing and put 1/4 inch bolts through both pieces to hold it in place. If not, I can always take it apart, save the mount and the 3 good panels until I find another dish like it for parts. Hopefully, you can repair yours. If not, you still got a good find.

Reactions: . Raine
Exactly what this guy said, he told me he'd thought it was only good for scrap. I'm going to try and straighten the bent panels and if I can't, I'll just save the good ones.

Here's a closer picture of it as I and my daughter were taking it apart.

IMG_20170917_102020.jpg

A picture of the feed, C band LNB is a Cal Amp, Ku an Astrotel.

IMG_20170919_065945.jpg

Reactions: KE4EST and wvman
Exactly what this guy said, he told me he'd thought it was only good for scrap. I'm going to try and straighten the bent panels and if I can't, I'll just save the good ones.

Here's a closer picture of it as I and my daughter were taking it apart.

View attachment 128276

A picture of the feed, C band LNB is a Cal Amp, Ku an Astrotel.

View attachment 128277

If everything is good out front, it's worth the trip to get it. I've picked up a few LNB's in the 30 degree range that I'm sure are good. No Ku stuff. Most of the people around here wasn't interested in Ku. I may set up a Ku dish with a motor arm to play with on a separate receiver. I know there's a lot more up there than listed on Lyngsat and SatHint. It would take someone full time to keep up with all the feeds up there. It will test my abilities to get everything just right on Ku. :)

Reactions: . Raine and KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts