Anyone notice that BD advertising has fallen drasticly the last few weeks.

akodoreign

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
A few weeks ago on any channel I would see a PS3 or BD ad. Last few weeks though I haven't seen any or very few.

Come one BDA don't get arrogant now that HD-DVD has fallen. (btw saw 10 x more advertising for Beowolf HD-DVD directors cut than BD this week).

Surprised ? I'm waiting for the price drops on BD hardware too.... How long will I have to wait ? :)

Yeah, I am surprised. I would be slamming home my product until no trace of the other was around anymore.

I just hope for the BD crowds sake they don't leave a hole big enough for something else to squeeze in and destroy everything.

The only thing I am surprised at is that some of you are surprised. Sony has the upper hand. No more Sony funded buy one get ones (notice right after the defeat they started having a few buy 2 get 1 free sales but not anything else.) Now they have an opportunity to really make a PROFIT off of the next gen. As I said before this is a whole new ball game. Not even worth comparing with the rise of the DVD format.

Sony will be putting barcodes on the back of our necks in no time! Yeah!

This tends to be a slow time for CE companies. Christmas and the Super Bowl are over. All the CE companies tend to switch out lines now, clear out the old and start to release new models over the summer in time for the Christmas/Super Bowl events next year. Advertising of CE products tends to drop at this time of year.

This year with the Olympics I expect a lot of HDTV advertisements during the summer leading up to the Olympics. Then I expect to see BD being pushed hard to fill content on all the new TVs that were bought to watch the Olympics.

Sony thinks they won the war. They won the HD disc based media war, but not the bigger one yet.

Right now, they are having a hard time convincing people to ditch $15 New release DVD versions of movies for $35 versions on BluRay.

Right now they are priced like Laserdiscs used to be positioned vs. VHS and look where THEY wound up.

The pricing need to come down drastically or they will stay stuck at a 2-3% market share.

If the BluRay boys are drinking bubbly thinking they've "won" they may be in for a rude awakening. Players need to fall below $200, and media has to be in the $15-25 range to gain mass acceptance....

So why do you doubt that prices will come down over time?

Because they never came down for DVD Audio or SA-CD..... The media companies refuse to properly price content produced for the audiophile/videophile crowd...

With HD DVD going away as a competitive threat, I look for them to leave prices where they are. I hope I'm wrong, because I'd much prefer paying less... I'm just not holding my breath.... although Amazon and a few others run some decent online sales occasionally..

Sony thinks they won the war. They won the HD disc based media war, but not the bigger one yet.

Right now, they are having a hard time convincing people to ditch $15 New release DVD versions of movies for $35 versions on BluRay.

Right now they are priced like Laserdiscs used to be positioned vs. VHS and look where THEY wound up.

The pricing need to come down drastically or they will stay stuck at a 2-3% market share.

If the BluRay boys are drinking bubbly thinking they've "won" they may be in for a rude awakening. Players need to fall below $200, and media has to be in the $15-25 range to gain mass acceptance....

Where do you see such a price difference? Street prices are much lower (for both) but for example MSRP
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 35.99 (Two disc set HD/BD)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 34.99 (Two disc set Sd)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 28.98 (sd widescreen)

Where do you see such a price difference? Street prices are much lower (for both) but for example MSRP
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 35.99 (Two disc set HD/BD)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 34.99 (Two disc set Sd)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix 28.98 (sd widescreen)
SSSSHHHH!!!! let them think what they want..

Really! I've seen dvd prices on ebay as high as BD's.

BD can slow the marketing and lower the prices as far as Im concerned.

You guys who think BD players will stay at $500 need to take a pill.

I dont know anything about prices for dvd's or BD's but if you are going by ebays prices, then you apparently dont know either. Stuff on ebay is always WAY overpriced.

Profile 2.0 BD players will be $500+ well into next year.

They have already stated that the PS3 will be profile 2.0 in the summer. I know that many don't count it as a player but that is the only reason I bought one. So if you count the PS3 as a possible player then profile 2.0 players will be below $500 as soon as 2.0 is released.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts