Anyone recognize this dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gillham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Morgan Hill, CA
I saw this on craigslist today and I'm wondering if you guys could help me identify it? I'm guessing 2.4M with narrow enough mesh for Ku, but I thought someone here would probably recognize this and know the exact brand / model.

Not that I really have anywhere to put this, but I'm liking the idea. ;)

Attachments

• bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 232
its a small picture :( but if i was to guess 6 ft dish 7 1/2 tops
someone here has a dish like this but larger i think maybe they will chime in

its a small picture :( but if i was to guess 6 ft dish 7 1/2 tops
someone here has a dish like this but larger i think maybe they will chime in
Oops, that should have been 1.8M. I had some metric failure. I was thinking 6' and wrote 8' instead. :)

My first guess is either a Zenith or Winegard 7.5 foot dish by the 4 panels design, a better picture sure would help.
Here's a picture of a Zenith dish...

Attachments

• img147.jpg
    img147.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 181
  • img146.jpg
    img146.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 193
  • img145.jpg
    img145.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 173
My first guess is either a Zenith or Winegard 7.5 foot dish by the 4 panels design, a better picture sure would help.
Thanks for posting those. I emailed the person about it, we'll see if they have more information or just know there is a BUD in the backyard. :)

HEY! I've got one just like that, except it does say Winegard, the box steel frame is rusted in-two in one place and the hand crank is frozen, but other than that it's perfect.........lol
Yup I believe you are right. Based on what can be seen in the pic, it does appear to be a Zieneth/Winegard unit.
For reference, here's some pics of mine

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=27569&d=1218017644
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=27570&d=1218017644
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=27571&d=1218017644
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=27572&d=1218017644
http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=27573&d=1218017644

A word of warning...first watch out for hornets making a nest in the mount...and second the mount is really heavy, you really need two people to remove it from the pipe.
I believe that Winegard made both of them and Zenith just stuck their name on it, at least that's what it appears to be on the two mounts I have.

Thanks guys, that is good to know. It is still listed for $100 on the sfbay craigslist. I emailed them that I could probably take it down for free if they can't sell it. :)

Unfortunately I'm in a subdivision with an HOA so I don't know that I could put it up anyway. I was trying to calculate if it could be mounted low to the ground and hide behind my fence, but probably not really worth the complaints I might get.

We'll see if the person gets rid of it or not. Then I might have to decide.

I gave $65 for mine. He wanted $75, I countered with $50, and he said $65. I looked around and he had 4 little dirty faced kids from about 3 to 6 yrs old playing in the yard, so I didnt have the heart to go any further. Yes it is heavy. I took it down by myself [still all together] and almost dropped it. Always watch for wasps. Around here it's those darned red hornets, They love those C band LNB covers for some reason.

I keep hearing about these HOA's, I'm wondering if most people in the US live under these rules? I've never heard about them in my area, although they might exist in the 1/2 million plus home areas. One thing the US folks have is the ability to install up to a 1m dish in a rental. Here if your landlord says no dish then it means no dish.:(
Or you could be like me and just install without asking.

Just call it a Satellite "Antenna", a Satellite "Dish" does not have holes. :)
Now I like that! :up

SatPhreak said:
....................Or you could be like me and just install without asking.
I live by that philosophy. It's easier to apologize than it is to ask permisson. To ask implies that you actually care what the other party's position is on the matter.

I keep hearing about these HOA's, I'm wondering if most people in the US live under these rules? I've never heard about them in my area, although they might exist in the 1/2 million plus home areas. One thing the US folks have is the ability to install up to a 1m dish in a rental. Here if your landlord says no dish then it means no dish.:(
Or you could be like me and just install without asking.

It is mostly newer (well my place is 17 years old I think) planned urban subdivisions that have HOA plans. I might try to pickup some C-band on a 1 meter. The propagation maps give me the impression I could get a few hotter sats and a 1 meter is covered by FCC regs. :)

Besides the 1 meter rule, I believe the FCC rules say you can have as many antennas as you need to receive the signal you want. This is true for terrestrial signal for sure, but I'm not 100% about satellite earth stations.

I only need 1 more dish than I have now. (and that will still be true for each dish I add) :)

I just installed mine, nobody said anything, but than's my neighborhood.
To get around a HOA, you could install it on a movable platform, like a small trailer.
Then there is the extreme...
Dish COVER
scroll down towards the bottom

MY 2 cents. (1 cent accounting for inflation...)

I keep hearing about these HOA's, I'm wondering if most people in the US live under these rules? I've never heard about them in my area, although they might exist in the 1/2 million plus home areas. .

Why would a sane person give up their rights by purchasing a home in one of these developments ?
It will be a cold day in hell when some bunch of yuppie nimbies tell me what I may and may not do with my land and home. In an over regulated era, a person still has the right to do as he/she pleases (within reason) on their property.
How ridiculous !

I just couldn't live in a place where I wasn't allowed a few BUDS in the yard. :)

Out here in rural NY we still can have clothes lines and park pickup trucks in the driveway.

it takes all kinds . . .

I think the good intentions were to keep under control, thing like:
- cars up on blocks,
- cars in the front yard.

Then, the control Nazis went a step further.
Out here (in some places), if you paint your house an unapproved color (even wrong shade of approved color), or forget to mow your yard, the Home Owner's Association can take care of it for you and send you the bill.

People buy into those communities because they think the HOA will protect their property value.
Personally, I'd p|&& on 'em all.

Corrado,
I'm also in rural NY. (Norwich)

Yes, we have those with no pride of ownership ( every washing machine or hot water heater they ever owned on the front lawn ) but it's not the norm. All in all, a nice place to live. No floods hurricanes, tidal waves, earthquakes, rush hour,
etc... and the right to install 2 or 3 buds without pi$$ing off the neighbors that are 1000 feet away in all directions.
Can you say QUIET ?
Have fun, got to get back to work,

Why would a sane person give up their rights by purchasing a home in one of these developments ?
It will be a cold day in hell when some bunch of yuppie nimbies tell me what I may and may not do with my land and home. In an over regulated era, a person still has the right to do as he/she pleases (within reason) on their property.
How ridiculous !

That's the way I think too, but to each there own I guess. To me it just sounds like another form of government to deal with.

A website in Australia that I go to talks about having to get permission from the local government in order to install a Cband dish. If the neighbors complain about the plan it gets turned down! Property values might be one thing but the right to use your own land should take precedence.

Are HAM's allowed to put up their tower and antenna in a HOA?

Are HAM's allowed to put up their tower and antenna in a HOA?
Those are heavily discriminated against, in almost all instances.
Especially things like low band beams on towers.
A website in Australia that I go to talks about having to get permission from the local government in order to install a Cband dish.
If the neighbors complain about the plan it gets turned down!
Property values might be one thing but the right to use your own land should take precedence.
Yea, but I think that's more in-town, than out in the boonies.
Plus, I've seen some pretty back-woods dish farms on that forum, so a little control is probably okay.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts