Anyone see Michael Jordan's Hall of Fame speech?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Kind of uncomfortable to watch. He starts out by crying when he first gets on the stage, then composes himself and goes through an 'I told you so' of his entire life. Derek Jeter he's not.

Really weird, every time you thought he was going to say something really nice, he came in with another jab at someone. Someone like his freshman high school coach, who was so stupid he didn't realize at 15 that Jordan was going to be the best of all time. Don't worry, Jordan reminded him.

Normally I like when shots are taken at Isiah Thomas, and as Knick fan I wasn't a big fan of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson either. But Jordan's complaint that they 'froze him out', or whatever, just made it seem like Jordan just has a chip on his shoulder.

And there were a lot more than that. It was just odd.

Sandra

Kind of uncomfortable to watch. He starts out by crying when he first gets on the stage, then composes himself and goes through an 'I told you so' of his entire life. Derek Jeter he's not.

Really weird, every time you thought he was going to say something really nice, he came in with another jab at someone. Someone like his freshman high school coach, who was so stupid he didn't realize at 15 that Jordan was going to be the best of all time. Don't worry, Jordan reminded him.

Normally I like when shots are taken at Isiah Thomas, and as Knick fan I wasn't a big fan of Larry Bird and Magic Johnson either. But Jordan's complaint that they 'froze him out', or whatever, just made it seem like Jordan just has a chip on his shoulder.

And there were a lot more than that. It was just odd.

Sandra
I had to cut my dog's nails, so I missed it.

I saw his speech and I guess I didn't take it the same way. The purpose of his speech was to explain how he used naysayers throughout his life as motivation to fuel his ''competitive fire'' as he called it. At least that's how I took it.

Perhaps some would view this as the wrong thing to say but regardless it was an honest explanatiom of what motivated to be the greatest of all time.

And he did thank several people during his speech too.

What about the poor guy who started ahead of him in high school/ college (forget which)? MJ even dogged him. The poor guy was even there in attendence and that's probably his one claim to fame.

I LOVED IT!!!!

After YEARS and YEARS of biting his tongue to be politically correct and watch PERSONALLY behind the scenes the kinda bull**** questions and things said about him, he FINALLY got out what he has had pent up in his chest for YEARS!

Though I DO NOT agree with the timing, it could have been better, he was NOT gonna have the COMPLETE world's attention like he did that night. IF he would have had a "sit down interview" with ANYONE, we would have gotten the same PC bull**** he has been saying for a long time. What you got out of his speech was HUMAN Michael Jordan, then one that shows he has insecurities like ANYBODY else.

People ALWAYS clamor for athletes to be real about how they feel about their careers and how they have been treated, well we finally got that from Michael Jordan and it was refeshing, scary and in some cases childish.....TOTALLY human.

I have BRAND NEW respect for him because that speech showed he is not a bad guy nor a good guy, neither Superman or Lex Luther.....just another human being telling ALL that said he couldn't.....that he DID!!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

He even threw Dean Smith under the bus for not letting him pose for an SI cover shoot as a freshman....

classy
That wasn't a dig at Dean Smith. Jordan views him as a father. It was more of a tribute that Dean had rules at Carolina, and Jordan got no special treatment. If that drove Jordan to work harder to prove that he was worthy, great. We got a NC out of it.

That wasn't a dig at Dean Smith. Jordan views him as a father. It was more of a tribute that Dean had rules at Carolina, and Jordan got no special treatment. If that drove Jordan to work harder to prove that he was worthy, great. We got a NC out of it.
I'm not surprised you take that stance, but the speech definitely had an uncomfortable feel to it. It was the world v. MJ and MJ letting you know that he won....

I'm not surprised you take that stance, but the speech definitely had an uncomfortable feel to it. It was the world v. MJ and MJ letting you know that he won....

It was both uncomfortable and MJ vs. the world! Like I said, for MANY years, the media, his peers and coaches did and said alot of things about Michael Jordan...I know because I saw AND heard alot of it. He took the high road and said ALL the right things ALL the time to protect his image as both a pitchman and more importantly, a role model. I was there in the locker hearing all that crap when I worked for the old Chicago Sportschannel.

Anders may have is NC reasons, but I saw and heard it all.

Now I am not gonna argue whether it was right or wrong...that all depends on how you feel about Michael Jordan...I am just telling you why I THINK he did it. I just think that for a very long time, he has wanted to get this off his chest.

I just watched it. It was nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. He's the greatest competitor EVER. I wish all pro-athletes had that amount of fire and drive.

I just watched it. It was nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be. He's the greatest competitor EVER. I wish all pro-athletes had that amount of fire and drive.

He's definitely still fighting his foes. No question about it.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts