AZBOX Anyone turning OFF the fan on the AZBox P+?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

papabruski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2011
mountain west
The fan produces so much noise that it gets distracting.
I turned the fan off the last few days. Touching the top of the box shows it to be warmer than my hand, but not by much.
Ambient temperatures around the box do not exceed 70*F this time of year and it is protected from sunlight shining on it. I can see the value of running the fan when summer temperatures indoors are much higher.
So, I'm wondering what others have learned in this regard.
Thanks...

i can go about 8 or 9 hours in the summertime before i lose sync on the azbox. that was when i had the fan off. the azbox was new and i thought it was defective. i learned that turning on the fan solved that problem. and when i put the box to sleep the fan goes off also so it is not a problem. charlie

Don't think it is a good idea to turn off the fan. Yes it is a bit noisy but I personally wouldn't risk cooking the electronic components on a $500.00 Sat Box, the Fan is there to keep those valued components cool.

If I"m not using the azbox, I pick the shut down option on the remote and then turn it off using the switch on the back of the receiver. I don't want to take a chance
on damaging the expensive receiver by turning the fan off using the remote option.fu

Last edited:
I think the fan is more important when a hard drive is mounted inside the case as some of those things produce a ton of heat. That's one reason I prefer to have an external drive instead of an internal one when it's practical.

Not a lot of air movement around the CPU and other components without the fan running. The Ultras I have are really quiet, quieter than the Bell receiver I have. Not sure if the latter is a fan or a noisy hard drive. Maybe the fan is wearing out or out of balance (dusty) to cause extra noise?

One last FYI for ya. I've got an AZ Box Elite which has an INTERNAL power supply but no hard drive mounting provision. That thing runs hot as hell but has never had a heat related problem that I'm aware of and I've had it now about 3 years. That and I've never heard of anyone else having heat problems with them either. Go figure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)