Anyone use/have the Spitfire 0.1 KU LNB?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I was wondering if anyone has/used the Spitfilre 0.1 Ku LNB?
Any better than 0.2 or 0.3 ones?

Thanks

Ken2400,
I bought one and tried it. I had a hard time finding the satillte signal with it. I thought the neck was pretty short to slide it closer to the dish. I bought another type and have the spitfire for a backup.
Keystone7

I did not see any diferences between Spifire and Invacom QPH-031 in signal strenght. Invacom QPH-031 is much better on 103W separating V and H Tps.

The gain I obtained with a Spitfire was marginal... I am not using it right now because the neck didn't allow for adjustment towards the dish, and my current setup needs the lnb closer to the pan...

0.1db noise, I find that hard to beleive, thats an incredibly low noise figure. like crazy low. still wouldnt mind trying one, who sells them ?

a spectrum analyzer will show you the noise floor quite nicley. makes it easier to test 2 lnb's side by side to and you can really find a nice tp where its buried in the noise to try and see if one works better then the other.

The Spitfire LNBs are wholesale distributed by DMS International through a dealer network.

For the difference in price($14.89 vs. 12.00 shipped) between the Spitfire and a standard .02 LNB I tried one on 101w after the switch to SES-1. Difference was some improvement but not enough to really notice.

If there is not much difference to really notice then that is probably going to be about as good noise figure we may see unless another company wants to brag about it and try to get more sales as a result.

accounding to one of the ebay listings
stable 500khz

So the next question is. Are the numbers below good?

Thanks

SPECIFICATION

Input Frequency Range 10.7 ~ 11.7 GHz 11.7 ~ 12.75 GHz
Reflector Type Offset
F/D Ratio 0.5 ~ 0.7
Cross Pol. Isolation 20 dB (Min.)
Conversion Gain 58 dB (Typ.)
Gain Flatness ±0.6 dB / 27 MHz
Output Frequency 950 ~ 1950 MHz 1100 ~ 2150 MHz
L.O. Frequency 9.75 GHz 10.60 GHz
L.O. Phase Noise -55 dBc / Hz @ 1 KHz
-80 dBc / Hz @ 10 KHz
-100 dBc / Hz @ 100 KHz
Output Power Level
(1 dB Gain Compression)
0 dBm
Image Rejection 45 dB (Min.)
Output VSWR 2.5:1 (Max.)
Output Connector 75? F type Female
DC Current Consumption 90 mA
Operating Voltage (1) 11.5 ~ 14.0 V - Vertical Polarization
(2) 16.0 ~ 19.0 V - Horizontal Polarization
(3) Continuous 22 KHz ± 4 KHz - High Band Selection
Operating Temperature -40ºC ~ +60ºC

Also beware that this is a universal LNB, which means it has a 22Khz switch built in. (to get the high band LO @ 10.6Ghz). This has implications if you are already using 22Khz switches to get more LNBs off your DiSEqC 4 X 1 switch.

I was wondering if anyone has/used the Spitfilre 0.1 Ku LNB?
Any better than 0.2 or 0.3 ones?

Thanks

Also beware that this is a universal LNB, which means it has a 22Khz switch built in. (to get the high band LO @ 10.6Ghz). This has implications if you are already using 22Khz switches to get more LNBs off your DiSEqC 4 X 1 switch.

here in north america you can just use a universal lnb on the 22khz on section of switching with an LOF of 10600 and itll work fine. i use 2 spitfires and the are pretty good lnbs. but they are only single output so i dont recomend them.

crackt out,.

I'll just chime in -- I have a .1 LNB, and if you only have a .4 LNB or a .6, this will be a nice upgrade. On my 30" dish, getting .2 or .1 was quite helpful in pulling in a few weaker transponders -- such as some of the PBS and NBC feeds for S2.

That said, going from .2 to a .1 will be a minor change, and likely not worth it. I saw little change, and nothing that was marginal before came in better. I still have the .1 on there, but it's mostly because it's a Universal -- just in case something cool pops up on PAS8.

A .1NR LNBF is marketing hype! A manufacturer will print anything that an buyer requests. We are always asked to provide the specs that we want printed on our products.

.2 and .3 units do exist, but they are not off the shelf units. These low noise units are specially produced then selected from the standard stock. The factory cost of these .2 - .3NR would not support these retail prices.

The majority of low noise LNBFs that we test are averaging .6NR, but labeled much lower!

Could you list any makes and models of these non retail LNB's

Thanks

A .1NR LNBF is marketing hype! A manufacturer will print anything that an buyer requests. We are always asked to provide the specs that we want printed on our products.

.2 and .3 units do exist, but they are not off the shelf units. These low noise units are specially produced then selected from the standard stock. The factory cost of these .2 - .3NR would not support these retail prices.

The majority of low noise LNBFs that we test are averaging .6NR, but labeled much lower!

It shall always be well with you my friend! I now know why you have a strong customer loyalty. If all marketers were this frank and candid, the FTA world would be a better place! If one wanted to buy the .2 & .3 NR LNBfs about how much would they cost?

Last edited:
Babadem said:
It shall always be well with you my friend! I now know why you have a strong customer loyalty. If all marketers were this frank and candid, the FTA world you be a better place! If one wanted to buy the .2 & .3 NR LNBfs about how much would they cost?

For both the importer and the reseller to make a sustainable profit, expect to pay at least $25 retail for this premium sorted stock sold in large quanties.

Europe has several brands that have premium models performing in the .2 - .3 range. The only model that is imported to the US that consistently performs within these specs is the Invacom SNH-031 ($33 - lowest Googled retail cost).

yep. And the people who sell them hype it as if its the best thing out there (to try and sell more) ;)

I always like these so called .3 LNB's that my old ExpressVu LNB (when they were linear) would beat...and the ExpressVu is a .8

This has been going on forever. I remember the C-Band channel in the early 90s that sold the "ice" LNBs. The difference is, the prices we are discussing here are an order of magnitude less than they were back then!

Thank you. That confirms my findings also. Even the best NASA LNBs have trouble achieving .1db NF. While I lack the equipment to accurately measure the NF I have interchanged a Spitfire with a 12 year old dual output .6db BEV linear from pre-circular days and they are about identical. The Spit has heart failure when I send Motor commands and takes several seconds to recover after the motor stops. The old BEV linear does not so I can watch the S meter scan past sats as the dish moves. The Spitfire, is small, cute and it works OK but its not revolutionary as they claim nor is it on my dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)