Anyone using Hopper/Joey with cable ISP?

bjwilsonesq

Original poster
May 29, 2008
We currently have AT&T Uverse internet, but service and equipment haven't been great. When my AT&T promo pricing expires, the only other ISP option in our area is Comcast. Although overpriced, Comcast's broadband service blows the doors off of Uverse. Hopper/Joey use the coax cable wiring to communicate. Can that MoCA connection coexist peacefully with cable internet service through the same coax wiring in the house, if we decided to give Comcast our internet business again?

Hopper/Joey is my first experience with MoCA, but years ago when I set the Home Distribution up on the 722, picture quality on the 2nd TV was horrible until I went out to the cable/phone panel on the side of my garage and disconnected the main cable TV service line, so I assume that the coax network is not good at sharing bandwidth. But I am not a network engineer, and don't know the science behind this, so is anyone using cable internet with a Hopper/Joey today? Or do you have to choose one or the other?

Thanks!
Brandon

It cannot be shared with the cable. Howerver, all you need is one loan cable going from the cable box to wherever you want the modem / router for your internet. Any room thats not in use on the satellite will work. My experience is that can usually be had without too much trouble.

I just switched from using Comcast for all three services (phone, internet, and TV) to using Comcast for two services (phone and internet) and Dish for TV only. It works fine.

To the best of my understanding, the installation involved isolating the Dish coax wiring that feeds the Hopper and the Joeys from the Comcast coax wiring between the Comcast source and the internet modem. In my case, one coax cable runs beween the dish and the Hopper and another coax runs from the dish to the coax cables that feed the two other TVs in my house (total of 3 TVs in the house). This was relatively easy for the installer, as all of the coax runs under my house and so the installer only had to run the second coax from the dish to under the house and then disconnect/connect the appropriate coax wires to accomplish things. I would guess that some homes may not be so easy if the coax feeding the 'Joey' TVs is not so easliy accessable.

For getting internet to the Hopper, there is an ethernet cable running between my router and the Hopper. I understand that there are altenatives if a wired connection from the Hopper to a router is not feasable (e.g., wireless network or Hopper Internet Connector).

Last edited:
First of all, I hate AT&T worse than I do Comcast.

However I will say that if your getting 12, 18, or 24 Meg Uverse service then your probably better off keeping it over Comcast.

I have seen Comcast offer 50 meg service, but the truth is that you internet will run just fine with 12 Megs. You may see a little improvement when downloading a large file, however you will never see a true 50 megs down.

Uverse is a good solid connection for me!

Heck I even have a 50 Meg Fiber Comcast connection at the office. Besides the awesome 50 meg upload speeds, I do not notice a difference between the fiber and my Uverse internet.

Even though your intnet comes into the house on cable, it goes right to a cable modem, nothing else and comes out either on a Ethernet cable or WIFI and looks just like the network you had before cable isp. I have comcast without WIFI in the modem and it looks like:
Cable ----> Cable Modem --> Cat 5 Ethernet ---- My WIFI Router -----> WIFI to the house AND CAT5 Network to non-wifi things

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)