Anyone using the new 1080p ATV3?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I was wondering if it has to have a high internet speed like vudu HDX, or if it will buffer enough/download the 1080p movie and then let you play at full quality?

Thanks.

Well, got it hooked up.
  • Same size and look as ATV2, hooked it up via HDMI thru the Marantz, and then to the GT30.
  • Set it up for 1080p/60 output and selected 1080p for iTunes.
  • Same remote as ATV2, and very snappy in the menus
  • Been awhile since Ive used the ATV2, but having a plasma, I enjoy having a vast amount of screen saver options, as well as sleep adjustments
  • Colorspace has 4 options that are "Auto" (in my case that output ycbcr 444), "ycbcr "(444), "RGB High" (444) and "RGB Low" (444)
  • RGB Low crushed blacks, so I avoided that. RGB High and ycbcr looked good, but in a few scenes were I saw banding, it was more pronounced with RGB. I left the ATV in "Auto" since it is sending out ycbcr 444, which is pretty much the same as a lot of set top boxes.
  • Spent some time with two movies Ive recently watched on Blu, Underworld Awakening and War Horse, and I thought the PQ was quite impressive. It's a little off from Blu-ray, but IMO if they keep improving 1080p streaming like this, wont be too long before more people move from optical. I've been looking for a good service to dump optical over for awhile, and while Vudu HDX is a good option, my HSI is not fast enough.
  • I'm gonna try a couple of new releases this weekend, I planned to watch on disc, and see what I think overall about the PQ and AQ. If I like it enough this may be something I use more than buying discs, but we will see. I'm starting to look at it this way, these things are easy, 1080p rentals arent expensive, and PQ (better) and AQ (as good) is like what I watch on Directv 30+ hours a week. It's fine for me there, so why not use the easy way on movies :) . Of course Im not just dumping optical, but I am gonna put this new 1080p from Apple thru its paces.
  • On to iTunes tv shows. I currently only buy Top Gear UK from Amazon, because Directv does not have BBCAHD yet. Got the newest episode, gave it a whirl, and in my opinion it looks as good or better than Top Gear HD on Dish Network when I had it, so no complaints for sure.
  • The Netflix app works well, 1080p and 5.1 when available, and it takes my connection 10-20 seconds to get to top PQ. I'd say the PQ is not as good as Ive seen from Netflix streaming on the Roku 2, but its pretty darn good.
  • I have a 6mbps DSL connection with tests around 5.6mbps, Id say a 1080p movie would need to buffer around 10-15 minutes to get a good start, but you can by all means start it earlier. I'll probably get on there, pick my movie and hour or two before Im ready, start it buffering, then come back to it when Im ready. Should be 1/2 to 3/4 downloaded by then and no worries on outrunning the buffer. I think the estimate is that 1080p movies on iTunes are 4-6gb's.
  • I know the wifi reception was improved with a second antenna on this model, and with my wireless N router in another room, about 50 feet away, I get full bars.

All in all, I think it's a great unit for $99, and the 1080p quality is a super bonus. My only comment right now would be for them to tweak the Netflix app a little more.

I did not see this yesterday but I have the Apple TV 3, and love it. But I also have 50MB service, so I couldn't tell you how fast it needs to function, but I have never had it (or its predecessor) hiccup. And the 1080p is really quite good. My DVR failed to record 2 of the last episodes of Desperate Housewives, and so we bought them from iTunes on the Apple TV; and the PQ compared to dish really was quite noticeable. Indeed, it put Dish to shame.

I just wish Amazon would dump the flash video so Prime Video would even be a possibility on the Apple TV.

What don't you like about the Netflix app? I'd say its the best Netflix client I have used. And the PQ on it is very good too.

Oh, and we have rented several films in 1080p from iTunes, and I can't say I saw a lot of difference between it and renting a BD. Except it was more convenient to use Apple TV.

It works fine on my 6mbps connection, just needs to buffer a little bit of the movie before starting. What I love is Apple realizes many of us do not have fast connections (but may like good PQ) so they have the 8gb NAND for buffering the film (as well as other things), instead of adjusting PQ based on your streaming speed, which is unfair IMO. Ever since Vudu moved away from making boxes with hard drives for downloading movies, Ive had no luck with the "tiered" streaming from Amazon and Vudu for great PQ. Netflix has been about it, but they suck for new movies.

Im not willing to get all giddy yet, but if I see more of what I saw today, the ATV3 may become my main choice for watching new release flicks on the weekend. I like the Netflix app, especially since it actually gives you 5.1 DD, it just seems like the Roku 2 may eek out a little sharper image. The image on the ATV3 is good though for sure.

I don't have anything to compare with except Netflix and Amazon on a Sony BD player, but in the year I have had Apple TV, I have been very satisfied. AND with iCloud, I can stream everything I have ever purchased, music, tv, and movies (and some movies I got as Digital Copies with BDs). But with easy access to 5000 songs, its pretty nice. AND I can stream from Spotify on my iPhone/iPad using Airplay.

I just signed up for Match on my laptop with iTunes, then set both iphones up for match. Only thing I did is cut off use cell data for store and music so it would only do downloading when the phone is on wifi.

I assume this cloud/match just makes sure all setup devices have the same music at the same time. If I download new music on my laptop, which will then put it on the could, does that mean the phones will download it next time they are on a wifi connection? And with regards to ATV, it will stream all my music over the net from the cloud?

Just finished setting up Match, very cool how it works with the ATV. Easy as heck to get in and start streaming your purchased music from the cloud.

Also watched the charging scene in War Horse, AQ and PQ was pretty damn good.

I just signed up for Match on my laptop with iTunes, then set both iphones up for match. Only thing I did is cut off use cell data for store and music so it would only do downloading when the phone is on wifi.

I assume this cloud/match just makes sure all setup devices have the same music at the same time. If I download new music on my laptop, which will then put it on the could, does that mean the phones will download it next time they are on a wifi connection? And with regards to ATV, it will stream all my music over the net from the cloud?

iTunes Match is first a foremost a streaming service, my Mac, iPad, and iPhone have it setup, my entire library is available to stream on any of the devices, and if I want, I can download music for off-line listening. Since I have unlimited 3G on my iPhone, I don't worry if it uses cellular data.

If you download new music on your laptop (say you purchase music from Amazon) and then include it in your iTunes library, it will migrate to iTunes match; usually almost instantly, but there is a control update match if for some reason it doesn't sync immediately.

As far as the apple tv, it will stream from the cloud; OR from the machine it is on via home sharing (if you have it setup). I have a PC that store my full library on, and if I turn it on, I can stream via the home network; but most of the time I just use iCloud. Works quite fast. It has gotten a lot better (in terms of lags) then when it first came out last summer.

And I also like how I can go to TV or Movies and the first option is for purchased items, and they will stream. Watching an episode of Big Bang Theory Season 1 via iCloud right now. And even though that episode is in SD, the PQ is really excellent.

I love how the ATV uses the buffer and does not do the varying quality on HD like Netflix and Amazon VOD. For those of us with slower connections, it gives a decent options to enjoy full PQ.

We are watching Chronicle tonight. Got on around 5:30, rented it in 1080p, hit play when it was ready and then paused and went back to Directv. That way it's fully buffered and ready to go when we fire it up here in a sec, very cool.

I love how the ATV uses the buffer and does not do the varying quality on HD like Netflix and Amazon VOD. For those of us with slower connections, it gives a decent options to enjoy full PQ.

We are watching Chronicle tonight. Got on around 5:30, rented it in 1080p, hit play when it was ready and then paused and went back to Directv. That way it's fully buffered and ready to go when we fire it up here in a sec, very cool.

I guess I am lucky, the most I ever have to wait is five or ten seconds when I first hit rent/purchase. But then again, for $99/month for 50MB service, I shouldn't have to wait :)

Haha. Well, I could watch at about 5 mins, but I like letting it buffer the whole move. Man, the pq on Chronicle is awesome. I'm sold.

I couldnt do shows, we record 30+ hours a week, Id go broke LOL.

But when it comes to getting mailed rentals, or buying discs, I think I may just be using ATV from now on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)