Anyone w/ Experiencing repairing LCD screens?

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
Got 3 LCDs on my office floor: 55" Toshiba Regza, 40" Regza and a 40" Westinghouse.

All three power up but the displays don't light up.

Any thoughts on this? If it makes financial sense, i'd like to repair them and keep 'em as loaners.

Cheers, K

Do you see faint images on the screen when you shine a light on them? If so, it is the backlight that isn't working. Probably an easier fix than a panel replacement.

I doubt the Westinghouse is worth fooling with. Even if you could get part numbers, getting the parts may be problematic.

It's probably like Jayn_j said the fluorescent backlight lamps. They can be a real pain to replace and there's a bunch of them, usually ten or more. It could be a connector to the bulbs too, sometimes they burn up, especially on the cheaper sets, usually you can smell a burned smell coming from the set if it's a burned lamp connector. Do like Jayn_j said and shine a light sideways onto it and see if you can see a faint picture, usually you can if it's the backlight lamps, but not always. You usually have to tear the set and the panel down to nothing to replace those, takes a lot of time. Westinghouse is one set that I've seen burn up the backlight connectors quite a bit. Sometimes when the lamps are bad the picture will light up for a second or two when you first turn on the set and then it'll go dark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts