Anything new on @#%^(* OTA PG Issue?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Just wanted to see if there is any information from E* about this issue. I have no OTA PG info on my 942. I had one channel, but it went away with the last software upgrade. Is this an issue that E* is looking at, or are we just sucking wind?

I love the 942, but I'll agree that the OTA/PG issue is still annoying. After more than 2 1/2 weeks of service, I finally had to reboot my 942 this weekend (actually twice). I rebooted the first time because digital OTA channels crapped out - they were still in the PG but all channels scored 0 on the signal strength meter, yet worked perfectly on the 811s. I was tuned in to a Baltimore station (90+ miles) on Sunday morning and the signal was fading out as the morning sun was got stronger - anyway, it locked up the receiver.

On my 811, when I just had 61.5 satellite, for Voom and HD only pkgs. I was getting ota for 1 channel.

I added 110 and 119 to the mix, did not change my subscription at all, and now I get guide for all ota locals that dish happens to carry in LIL, so I assume
that the ota is being mapped with guide data by the 811.

There are 9 channels, not in Dish's lineup for LIL and I do not get guide data for these channels. Here in boston, I do not get guide data for:
02-02, 05-02, 44-02, 44-03, 44-04, 68-01, 68-02, 68-03, 68-04

But I do get it for:
02-01,04-01,05-01,07-01, 25-01,38-01,44-01, 56-01....these are the channels dish carries too, so go figure!

philhu:

I think that is the best you can hope for. It has been stated that you won't get any info for subchannels, non-major network channels, or any channels not carried by E*. Consider yourself fortunate. Many of us can't get any PG info for OTA channels.

Yea, that is what some of the CSRs I have talked to have said is that I should get programming guide data on the channels that they carry. That means I won't get programming guide data for a couple of my local channels like WMAK even if they do get the problem fixed. What ever happened to the must carry law? I thought that the law said that if satellite opted to carry any channel in a market that they had to carry all the channels? But, since they have to negotiate with the channels, and that could allow channels to take advantage if the satellite company didn't have a choice but to pay what they wanted, then I could see how that would be a problem. Did this law get struck down because of this?

By the way, the last time I called Dish about this problem was on Thursday. I was told they are currently working to fix it. Unfortunately with Dish I won't be holding my breath.

dogpoobob said:
philhu:

I think that is the best you can hope for. It has been stated that you won't get any info for subchannels, non-major network channels, or any channels not carried by E*. Consider yourself fortunate. Many of us can't get any PG info for OTA channels.

That really does suck big time!

It was so much easier with the voom sat pg!

My tv has an hd tuner in it and DOES get guide data for the sub channels! You would think that dish could release a product that could do what we want, ie, OTA channels with guide data, with a fallback to psid guide data.

The whole LIL thing is stupid. Voom's idea of OTA was so much better than LIL, hd for locals on sat, etc. Voom's integrated guide was the best. And, I know it failed is some locations, but alot of it was due to gross installer incompetence. When it was setup correctly, it worked great!

philhu said:
That really does suck big time!

It was so much easier with the voom sat pg!

My tv has an hd tuner in it and DOES get guide data for the sub channels! You would think that dish could release a product that could do what we want, ie, OTA channels with guide data, with a fallback to psid guide data.

The whole LIL thing is stupid. Voom's idea of OTA was so much better than LIL, hd for locals on sat, etc. Voom's integrated guide was the best. And, I know it failed is some locations, but alot of it was due to gross installer incompetence. When it was setup correctly, it worked great!

My Voom guide for locals worked great for a long time. Then, I complained about audio dropouts on RAVE, and they insisted on sending me a new Voom box even though I didn't think that was the problem. The new Voom box would never display local program guide data. They tried swapping boxes a couple of more times, but it didn't help (they couldn't give me my origional box back, and the new boxes didn't fix the audio dropout problems anyway). So, I was really looking forward to getting my program guide data back when I went with Dish after Voom went under, but now this :(.

I just called Dish Network again about this problem. I was told he still didn't have any new info on it. He then said that really if I want to get this resolved and get any real information, then I shouldn't call the tech department. (Never had them admit that to me before!) He said that I should email the Tech Forum through their web site. So, I did that. I'll post here when/if I get a response.

Yes, is it the section for asking questions to the shows. According to the tech guy, they will reply directly to me, though, and if they think the question is good enough they will also put it on the show.

I just got a call from Dish Network a little while ago telling me that they have a work-around for the PG information on local channels now showing up. They also said that they plan to have this problem fixed in the next 942 release of software which should be within the next month and a half at the latest. Here are the steps she told me to do for a temporary work-around:

1. While the receiver is powered up, press the MENU button.
2. Press 8 (Preferences)
3. Press 5 (Updates)
4. Set the time to a couple of minutes in the future, and then click DONE.
5. Press the power button on the remote to power off the receiver.
6. Wait about 5 minuts past the time you entered above.
7. After 5 minutes past the time entered has elapsed, power the receiver back up.

Repeat this process 3 times in a row.

I am told that after doing this, the program guide data for the channels will then be there for about 7-10 days until the programming guide data runs out. At that time, the procedure has to be repeated.

I am in the process of trying this now, and will post how it turns out.

They told me the same thing, which did not work, then had me go to an OTA channel and do a "Check Switch" which also didn't do anything. Hope the 1½ month date is a good one. Amy told me that the Techie who was supposed to meet with the engineers was out sick today and so the issue has not got a finish date on it. Who knows?:(

Yea, no luck here, either. I went through those steps multiple times, and haven't been able to get my program guide data. I have a call in to them waiting for a call back.

I got a call back from Dish, and was told to try changing the channel to a local channel that didn't have info and to try the steps again, but unfortunately it still didn't work. I was told if that didn't work, I'd just have to wait for the next software update to fix this problem. sigh.. guess I'll have to wait a while.

seandudley said:
I got a call back from Dish, and was told to try changing the channel to a local channel that didn't have info and to try the steps again, but unfortunately it still didn't work. I was told if that didn't work, I'd just have to wait for the next software update to fix this problem. sigh.. guess I'll have to wait a while.
Ditto...tried the same...still not working...told the same lame story. I record a lot of OTA and, although I can still set manual timers, seeing multiple "Digital Service" entries in the DVR menu isn't my idea of user friendly.

riffjim4069 said:
Ditto...tried the same...still not working...told the same lame story. I record a lot of OTA and, although I can still set manual timers, seeing multiple "Digital Service" entries in the DVR menu isn't my idea of user friendly.

Yea, and it's also really annoying when there is a 2 hour special or a program ends for the season, or changes time slots, etc. and you end up recording the wrong thing or only getting part of the episode because you were forced to use a manual timer. I hope they get it fixed soon!

Sometime during L2.27, the problem with missing PG data for my OTA digital locals was corrected (I am in the Washington DC DMA). Yesterday, I noticed that I am receiving PG data for OTA digital locals in the Baltimore DMA. :confused: Ok, I'm lost. I received L2.29 while I was at work yesterday and, to be honest, I didn't notice if I was receiving PG data for Baltimore digitals prior to that time. Also, when I use the Search function (say I'm searching for CSI), it will match both the DC and Baltimore digitals. :)

Ok, I thought the 942 was not using the PSIP datastream; it was my understanding that PG data was provided by E* and that you had to subscribe to your local channels package in order to map OTA digitals in the PG? The 942 must be using PSIP for the Baltimore channels, because I can't see E* providing this data.

I can also receive Richmond and Charlottesville VA channels, but that antenna feeds directly into the built-in tuner on my Sony GWIV. I haven't had time to check if the 942 will integrate PG for these digital locals...yet...but I will certainly do it this evening.

Anyway, is the 942 now capable of using the PSIP datastream and integrating this information into the PG? If so, then is it safe for me to cancel my local channel subscription and save $5.99 per month?

Also, folks like dogppoobob are still having problems. :confused:

Yes, even with 2.29, I am still in the same shape. :( I get PG info for one of the seven channels in Memphis. Digital Service on all the others. I sent an update request to Tech Support yesterday. If I get any info, I'll post it. I see that seandudley has just given up or gone away or something. :no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts