Anyway to fix a dead motor??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
I have a SG2100 that will not respond to anything. I tried resetting it, but the led doesn't even light up any more, nor does it respond to pushing both buttons when powering on the FTA box. Any chance of fixing this thing??

Best thing is to bring it up to the receiver on a short cable, and make sure that the problem still exists. If it IS totally dead, it may be possible to get a interface board from someone.

Several years ago, I tried repairing one which simply had the connectors over-torqued and twisted off.
Never got any satisfaction out of that one. :(
Hope you do better. - :D

I brought it in to the receiver, with different cable, but same thing. Might try the board route.

1ADAM12: How much to repair?

Timmy1376,

How much usage has this motor seen? If you have used it a lot, it may be possible that the relays have failed. This is common as the relays are not very durable nor properly rated. You can obtain replacement relays that are better suited for this application, but you might have to do some minor circuit modifications (the better replacements are not a direct replacement due to physical size).

That is one problem that can be repaired without sending the motor in for repair. If you have the tools and the where-with-all, you can do this yourself.

The other common failure is the solder connections of the F-type connectors where they attach to the PC board within the motor. They can break loose or fail due to a cold or poor solder connection. Resoldering these connections is a simpler repair than replacing the relays.

Walrus1957 has found the replacement relays if that is what is needed and has instructions on how to replace them if you desire.

I don't recall if he has posted the information regarding the relays here within the forum, but he has the information if you wish it. He had to repair one of his SG-2100 motors due to the failure of these relays.

If you do not feel yourself to be adept at such endeavors, sending the motor in for a repair might be your best strategy.

RADAR

I have taken it apart and it look like the coax connectors are soldered onto the board still pretty well.

What are the relays??

This motor hasn't gotten much use, I would go a month without using it, but wanted to get it running back for a couple of football games and basketball season. I may just get a new one...

timmy,
The two relays look like plastic rectangles, about 5/8' long (probably black, or grey), on the cicuit board. One is for West move, the other is for East. They function as electromagnetically operated switches. The circuit board sends 12 volts at low current to the relay coil, transferring the contacts from their normal state to their closed state (throwing the switch), which sends a higher current to drive the motor. If both relays become fused (stuck) in the closed state it will create a very low resistance (Short) across the power supply causing the unit to not function. As mentioned by AcWXRadar, these relays are somewhat light duty, but I think they should last quite a while if not abused. One way to abuse these relays is when moving the dish in one direction, then immediately reversing to the opposite direction. Doing this repeatedly WILL overheat, and fuse the relay contacts. If you have multiple sats programmed in your reciever, which is likely the reason you have the H-H Motor, and channel surf while in the "All Satellites" mode, the motor will be reversing repeatedly as it attempts to goto whatever sats each of those channels are located, and the relays will fuse eventually. This is how I fused the contacts on my SG2100. To avoid this I don't use the All Satellites mode when surfing.
Now to the relays. A direct replacement I found is Song Chaun 842-1C-S 12VDC. I bought them on fleabay from Budget-Electronics-Online. (Song Chaun 12VDC 3A SPDT PCB Mount Relay)
I replaced mine 18+ months ago, and it's still working well.

Greg

timmy,
The two relays look like plastic rectangles, about 5/8' long (probably black, or grey), on the cicuit board. One is for West move, the other is for East. They function as electromagnetically operated switches. The circuit board sends 12 volts at low current to the relay coil, transferring the contacts from their normal state to their closed state (throwing the switch), which sends a higher current to drive the motor. If both relays become fused (stuck) in the closed state it will create a very low resistance (Short) across the power supply causing the unit to not function. As mentioned by AcWXRadar, these relays are somewhat light duty, but I think they should last quite a while if not abused. One way to abuse these relays is when moving the dish in one direction, then immediately reversing to the opposite direction. Doing this repeatedly WILL overheat, and fuse the relay contacts. If you have multiple sats programmed in your reciever, which is likely the reason you have the H-H Motor, and channel surf while in the "All Satellites" mode, the motor will be reversing repeatedly as it attempts to goto whatever sats each of those channels are located, and the relays will fuse eventually. This is how I fused the contacts on my SG2100. To avoid this I don't use the All Satellites mode when surfing.
Now to the relays. A direct replacement I found is Song Chaun 842-1C-S 12VDC. I bought them on fleabay from Budget-Electronics-Online. (Song Chaun 12VDC 3A SPDT PCB Mount Relay)
I replaced mine 18+ months ago, and it's still working well.

Greg

Capned,

I believe that Walrus1957 may have ordered the very same relays - the Song Chaun relays - to repair his SG2100. That sounds awfully familiar to me. I am sure that brand was at least one of the ones he investigated.

He also did not have many total hours of service on his motor, much less than you would expect a failure to occur within. But, he was also doing a huge amount of wild feed hunting and blind scanning and therefore, driving the dish all over and back and forth.

I also personally try to avoid channel surfing from sat to sat. I drive to one sat, channel surf there, then move to another sat and surf there. Otherwise, it is as bad for your dish motor as being stuck in the snow or mud with your vehicle and rocking it between 1st and REV and 1st and REV over and over when you know your stuck good. Save your tranny!

RADAR

Is it dangerous for the SG2100 to remove the cable from the receiver with the receiver powered on? If so, what component in the motor would get damaged? Do they have a fuse? Thanks.

Is it dangerous for the SG2100 to remove the cable from the receiver with the receiver powered on? If so, what component in the motor would get damaged? Do they have a fuse? Thanks.

I'm going to say it probably is a bad idea. I don't know what will get damaged, but I'm sure someone around here can chime in. I would imagine removing the cable could be like powering the motor/lnb/switches on and off rapidly. The cable could come in and out of contact as you unscrew it. Applying power and turning it off rapidly is a bad thing.
Lastly, what would be the point of removing the cable with the receiver powered on? Are talking about removing it from a motor outside while the receiver is powered on inside?

I have always been told that removing any HOT cable is a no-no. However, there are several reset procedures for different H-H motors that tell you to do exactly this.

That goes against my grain and previous teachings, but evidently the motor manufacturer's don't view this as a problem. Maybe it is only detrimental for the switches in the circuit.

Regardless, I will play it safe and not disconnect the cables if there is power ON. If I need to reset my motor for some reason, I will use the alternative method that doesn't suggest removing and reconnecting the cables with power ON.

RADAR

I brought it in to the receiver, with different cable, but same thing. Might try the board route.

1ADAM12: How much to repair?

If you go to their website and email tech support, they will tell you what their rate is, Shipping cost more then the repair. There in Georga.

Even though mine was a year old they did a warranty repair for me, just paid shipping.

I always try to REMEMBER to power down my cables before changing any connection, however, I have accidentally disconnected/reconnected cables on ground blocks, LNBs, and motors with the power on and sustained no damage. Switches (especially the cheap DiSEqC variety) are another story.

Replace relays

I found a source for the relays they are $2.00 each. I donot want to write anything about replacing them until I can get the motor down and replaced. It was -27 degrees last night and may be somtime before I take the motor off the pole. I will try and take some photos and step by step instructions. This is not something you should try onless you know your way around a soldering iron and have good eyes. I have been a Ham radio operator for over 50 years and building my own equipment for longer.

For people wanting to check it our my source is Omni Pro Electronics at WWW.omnipro.net the part number is PC312-12-X. They will ship out small qty. and will take your credit card. It looks to me that this is the same amp rating voltage rating and has the same foot print.

I hope some time next week I can start on this project and take some photos on a how to do for those with the skills. When I signup I wanted my name to be Radioguy but hit the wrong keys. More later.

Rodioguy.

Welcome! Rodio>maybe a moderator can help you fix that mis-spelling. Thanks for the tip on the parts dealer. Have a soldering iron, but not too sure about the good eyes part, haha!

Status
Please reply by conversation.