Anyway to use Hulu plus on roku w/o a credit card?

While watching "Doc Martin" on Hulu Plus this morning I did notice that more ads appeared during the 30 minute program compared to when I last had the service about a year ago. I don't mind an ad or two for Hulu to control costs, but in comparison Netflix has "DOC Martin" without any commercials and I pay the same monthly fee.

While watching "Doc Martin" on Hulu Plus this morning I did notice that more ads appeared during the 30 minute program compared to when I last had the service about a year ago. I don't mind an ad or two for Hulu to control costs, but in comparison Netflix has "DOC Martin" without any commercials and I pay the same monthly fee.

I could see them having ads for newer content but,why have ads on the older stuff?

I could see them having ads for newer content but,why have ads on the older stuff?

I noticed there are lots of ads...even on older series (which makes no sense)....seems to be the same ads over and over

Also I was watching Smackdown and the roku locked up. It played fine but couldnt do anything else so I had to unplug it

Either I'm not understanding huluplus or I guess I'm not their "ideal" customer because other than WWE programming and some older episodes of Chilly Beach (was on CBC a few years ago) there really isnt anything on there I like

OK yeah it has Fox, ABC & NBC programming but out of those 3 nets I record 2 shows. Fox other than sports and TMZ I dont even turn it there (their programming IMO sucks). Alot of the older shows I typed in the name dont show up there.

I guess I'll watch a bunch of WWE programming in the next 6 days then cancel it

I never understood the value of Hulu plus with commercials. If they are going to charge show commercials on the current season and past seasons no commercials.

Ice, I agree that's why I didn't keep it. I browse thru the free stuff on Hulu but I didn't feel the Plus was worth it. I stuck with Netflix for the movies so far.
I'm not much of a movie fan but I played with it more last night and still really didnt find much. I logged into it on the computer (easier to scroll through titles) and really didnt see anything that was like "wow I need to see this".....

Yea hulu+ just isn't my cup o tea.I think it's geared more towards folks who don't have sat/cable or ota.

...OK yeah it has Fox, ABC & NBC programming but out of those 3 nets I record 2 shows. Fox other than sports and TMZ I dont even turn it there (their programming IMO sucks). Alot of the older shows I typed in the name dont show up there...

I watch Hulu using the Windows Hulu Desktop on my HTPC (during the summer when I place DISH on vacation mode) to watch the USA shows (Burn Notice, etc). Tried the HuluPlus on the Roku when the app first came out, but not all of the shows were available using the Roku, had to use the HTPC instead, so I dropped the Plus. Using your computer, go to Hulu and search that way instead...

I'm not much of a movie fan but I played with it more last night and still really didnt find much. I logged into it on the computer (easier to scroll through titles) and really didnt see anything that was like "wow I need to see this".....

That's the problem with Hulu Plus. It really isn't offering anything other than allowing you to see some shows sooner than the non-pay Hulu, and of course it works on the portable devices and add-on boxes. Certainly not worth much to me and I like watching regular shows and movies. I can see no real value to Hulu Plus given you still get the ads, don't get really good video and at $8/month doesn't represent value at all compared to Netflix or Amazon.

I've never figured out how Hulu (plus or plain) can be so bad at streaming for me when I can get HD (and 3D) from Vudu at their highest resolution and HD from Netflix with no hiccups and smooth video.

well I went online and cancelled. SO you click cancel and then it plays a video of various clips of someone saying "dont go"....interesting most of them are from those animated fox shows that I dont watch

They asked why and I gave them a good reason (commercials and there wasnt anything on there that made me say "wow i need this". I love the fact it says you can call us and below it says "average wait right now 28 minutes"...yeah I'm sure I'll wait 28 minutes to talk to someone

Yeah sorry about that I scrolled over the the next pages area and thought the thread was only one page long, I just went through the whole thread and read that you cancelled before I posted about RAW being heavily edited.

Anyways I read an article that the next guy in charge at Hulu plans on serving more ads to free users and less ads to Plus users. While I agree I think it's low that Hulu+ shows ads it doesn't really bother me as I record everything from Hulu with PlayLater/PlayOn via my PC and fast forward through the ads like a DVR with a 10 second forward skip.

Yeah sorry about that I scrolled over the the next pages area and thought the thread was only one page long, I just went through the whole thread and read that you cancelled before I posted about RAW being heavily edited.

no worries. I watched part of last weeks raw (and then the roku froze) and some of Smackdown. I did watch all of Superstars (well the matches at least) ;)
I didnt see enough of Raw to see how much it was edited

I read somewhere that the difference between Hulu and Hulu plus is that the "Plus" has more episodes of any given show found on Hulu. I signed up with credit card and canceled the next day. The shows we wanted weren't on Hulu the next day after airing.
I was looking for some shows from Nat Geo, History channel etc the day after they aired. I think I found them elsewhere... I Tunes? or Amazon maybe it was...anyway at $1.99 or more an episode I said forget it.
plus is a pale imitation of regular Hulu..they make you pay to use the ROKU then cut programming back

There are a few things Hulu+ has going for it, one is that the shows are in 720p, while regular Hulu is in 480p. But I've been watching a lot of Hulu through Hulu Desktop lately and the video has been really good. Maybe because I've upgraded my HTPC? And then there are a few shows that aren't available on regular Hulu at all. For example, the cancelled Fox show, The Finder, is only available through Hulu+. And the last time I looked, it wasn't even available on dvd yet.

But if you already have pay-tv and use a dvr, then Hulu+ is a big waste of money. I've been watching regular Hulu through Plex on my Rokus to catch up on stuff. Plex also has a CBS app (since current CBS shows aren't available on Hulu). Great to watch The Mentalist those times when NFL games crap on my Sunday dvr'ing.

Iceberg, I noticed tonight that the UK station "Challenge" on Nowhere TV airs a lot of wrestling that I thought you might be interested in seeing.

Also, I have been watching a lot of the TWIT network on Nowhere TV which looks great in HD.

Iceberg, I noticed tonight that the UK station "Challenge" on Nowhere TV airs a lot of wrestling that I thought you might be interested in seeing.

Also, I have been watching a lot of the TWIT network on Nowhere TV which looks great in HD.

I'll have to watch more NowhereTV, now that I know that it has wrestling channels!

Twit and Revision3 both have their own official Roku apps. I haven't watched Twit yet, but Revision3 hd loooks just as good, if not better than Dish Network hd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)