AP regarding 3D penetration, or lack of it

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
Article in AP (example USA Today reprint here) http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2012/09/29/3d-tv-viewership-rate/1602741/ states: "3D viewership is so tiny that The Nielsen Co.'s methods are unable to capture any meaningful data about viewers' programming preferences."

ESPN producer Phil "Orlins' problem is that fewer than 115,000 American homes are tuned into 3-D channels at any one time."

while it may be true that the author couldn't find something else to write about, it doesn't change the numbers. And those number are pathetic.

If you substitute 'good' for 'great', you'd be right! :)

Yeah, they are doing lots of new 3D movies, but with way too many of them being made to 3D in the studio and not actually filmed that way, the quality of all too many of them just isn't very good. And redoing an older movie with studio tricks to 3D isn't going to help imo. And strictly in my own opinion, most of the new 3D movies are at best 'B' grade movies and not always even that good.

but aside from that, I've got a nice, small 3D display that has had (1) 3D game that came with it, and (1) 3D movie played on it. I was really underwhelmed. Enough so that I've decided to not add a receiver to the room that display is in and instead just use a computer and DirecTV2PC.

The big problem for the home viewer is that the 3D content is too expensive.

Why is a HD movie $4.99 on Satellite but if you want to watch the 3D version its $8.99?

Why in some areas must you be subscribed to the top tier or pay an extra fee to watch channels like ESPN 3D?

If they made it equal to other programming you would see a lot more people using their 3D.

Hold the phone!

Did I read that right? I recognize the author wanted to paint a negative spin on the facts but read just the facts:

Before 2009 there were zero TV's capable of 3Ds in the homes, then Avatar sparked a resurgence of 3D TV's to 2011 growing to 2% of all the TV's being 3D and after this year's buying season, to grow to 6%! This growth spurt is occurring during a time of 8+% unemployment; 16+% real/underemployment and zero wage growth. Not too bad! Remember, you can't advertise 3Ds on a 2D TV. You have to go into the stores to see it.

I told you. 3D is dead.
I know the article had a negative agenda but the facts are there to show this art form is far from dead. It is growing faster than any other art form from introduction. What was the penetration of 5.1 audio in 3 years from it's introduction? How about 7.1 audio? I'm surprised televisionarchives isn't out posting his anti progress agenda about that too? Got news for you- Talkies are here to stay, too. Now go back in your archives crypt and let the rest of us have fun in the 21st century 3Ds TV. We'll knock on your door when we want to watch some old B&W films. :D

There's not enough channels available to watch. I looked into what dish had and I'd have to upgrade my receiver too. Cable isn't any better. With the price of the TV's coming way down, if there was a fair amount of content people would watch it. I don't think they should charge extra. Its kind of like when blu ray dvd's first came out, there was quite a price difference between the blu ray and a standard dvd. Now the blu ray discs are more in line with the others. Look at the price of older blu raytitles at wallymart..lots under $10

Supposedly, my Oppo BDP-103 will auto-magically convert 2D video to 3D. No need for the studio to go mucking about with an older catalog title. I'm SURE something like that will get more folks to buy into 3D in the home.:rolleyes: I don't think it will ever catch on until all those Plasma and LCD TV's pushed during the HD upgrade start to die. I bought a 3D-ready TV in early 2008 because I was thinking it MIGHT be something I might want later on. I can't justify spending $500 on a 3D kit just to watch a few programs. I'm happy with just going to a cinema during off-peak hours and seeing a 3D movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)