Apartment Install questions

jcdgoad

Original poster
Jul 2, 2004
I just moved into an apartment that has a clear view of the southern sky. Satellite dishes are allowed as long as no holes are drilled to get the wires in. Are there kits to install the dish on the facing of the deck. Also I have to figure out some way to get the wires in with out drilling holes. The door that leads to the deck is a sliding glass door. I've seen some flat wire but I have heard that it is only rg59 and I'm not sure how well that will work. I'm considering getting the Dish 522. If anyone has any apartment install advice I would appreciate it. Also the apartment is in Hot Springs, AR. If a dealer that does dish network installs in the Hot Springs are is interested in this install please post a reply.

Your going to need 2 flat cables since the 522 needs 2 satellite inputs. I install for Dish and have used them with no problem. You do lose alittle signal but as long as the cable run isn't to long you should be alright. I love these stupid apartment rules that let you have a Dish, but you can't drill any holes...catch 22

just to clarify. Its going to be a dish 500 install. Thank God in Hot Springs they don't have to put up those huge Super Dishes to get locals. I'n not sure if I need a tripod or not. The guy below me has DTV and his is mounted to the deck facing/fence. I'm hoping I can mount it to the facing of the fence so that it doesn't obstruct the view from my deck. Does anyone know if a website sells kits to mount to metal apartment deck fences.

Mounting the dish to the railing shouldn't be a problem. You can buy mending plates or u-bolts at any hardware store that will do the trick.

The bigger question is how will the cable be backfed to your 2nd TV?

I'm guessing there isn't access to the attic space above your apartment... Are you OK having a loose cable (maybe running along your floorboards) going from TV1 to TV2? Is there any way to run a new cable inside the apartment (without tearing anything up, obviously)?

The apartment is pre-wired for cable and I believe that I can use the cable wiring in the apartment for the second tv. A local install company that I called said that they had done installs in my apartment complex and as long as the cable company disconnects there connection it shouldn't be a problem. I wish I didn't have to put a dish up but I just moved into this apartment and the cable picture quality is not great and they have already screwed up my bill. The good thing is that I got my first month of cable and internet for free. Unfortunately the basic cable price is more than the top 120 price and they don't have as many channels. It's a no-brainer to go with Dish network. I just don't want to get screwed on the apartment install. Thankfully I think I've found a reputable local satellite company. I can't wait to get the 522. I know it's buggy........but its better than no DVR and the upfront cost makes it a good deal.

Nobody mentioned that the system MUST be grounded to local and NEC codes, 90% of apartments cant be grounded to code, if its not done maybe you can tell us the name of the company that done the install, we need to start a list.

What needs to be done to ground the dish properly. I live in a second floor apartment and I would prefer for the dish to be mounted to the rail. Does a ground have to be put into the ground?

You need to find where your common ground is, ( the power meter area of the apt bldg.)

Are you near that end of the Bldg? if so they need to run #10 green wire from that common ground, to your ground block. ( where your line from dish meets line going into apt ) Dish should be grounded too...

as for attachment of the dish, The way you describe the fence, I would use U-bolts, and to come into the apt. I would use Flat wire.

If I couldnt ground it, I wouldn't install it...

Some guys are saying who cares about the ground, but thats them... It's code, and it's there for a reason.

Anyway, hope you get it installed ... properly and enjoy

Added: Here are some helpful Links to check out credited to basicinstall.com and dbsinstall.com

1. Installation in apt / condos

2. Grounding Properly

jcdgoad said:
I just moved into an apartment that has a clear view of the southern sky. Satellite dishes are allowed as long as no holes are drilled to get the wires in. Are there kits to install the dish on the facing of the deck. Also I have to figure out some way to get the wires in with out drilling holes. The door that leads to the deck is a sliding glass door. I've seen some flat wire but I have heard that it is only rg59 and I'm not sure how well that will work. I'm considering getting the Dish 522. If anyone has any apartment install advice I would appreciate it. Also the apartment is in Hot Springs, AR. If a dealer that does dish network installs in the Hot Springs are is interested in this install please post a reply.
The flat cable inquestion is no longer used by Dish network as it has lead to a high amount of service calls due to broken filament ( the copper conductor is twice as thin as rg59 ) casings that become punctured and allow moisture inside causing contamination, and in one instance that Ive seen having the potential to cause a fire due to sparking from a damaged casing. It is my advice that you do not use this kind of solution, rather you should go to the hardware store and buy a one inch by one inch by 8ft length of wood slat, cut it to fit the hieght of your door wall allowing for 1/4 of an inch gap for the cables to pass under. One other problem your going to have though is bigger and thats grounding of your satellite dish and coax lines and unless theres a viable ground source for this installation and in most instances there isnt one to be found on apartment buildings then your taking a risk by having an ungrounded satellite system installed, specialy on a MDU.

Flame all you want but by law any satellite system must be grounded per NEC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)