Apartment installation-1st floor (new customer)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

storey13

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
So I have an installation scheduled for this Saturday afternoon, and was wondering what the best way to have the installer mount the dish and if the installer will provide a couple of flat coax cables or if I will need to purchase them. I've walked around my apartment community and some have the dish mounted on a square concrete piece, like something you would find in a back yard patio. Others are using a tripod and some are using a pole mount. According to the rules in my satellite dish addendum, the dish should not extend past any portion of the balcony. I'm not sure if this rule applies to me on the first floor, because I have seen several tenants with a pole or tripod mounted dish off to the side of their 1st floor patio.

So what will the typical installer peform for me at no charge, and what should I have ready for the installer when they arrive? Thanks!

Have the TVs ready to go. I don't know if your standard tech has the flat cables ready. You may want to have some just in case. You should only need one. Max two.

Flat cables are normally an additional cost. Certainly have TV's ready and everything away from the area that the tech has to work and all pets secured in a room/area where he/she will not be going well ahead of arrival.
As for restrictions as long as your apartment balcony or outside area is facing the line of site needed to aim then you shouldn't have any issues however tripods are something you need to purchase so if you want that then go get it now. The rule of extending past any portion of the balcony does apply to all floors just FYI, I've installed many to places like this and there is no exceptions. Just be prepare for getting it and not getting it cause of restrictions and by all means tip the tech if they do good work, be sure to give them a good survey (leave all 0's which mean 10's if the survey comp calls you). Consider purchasing something from them aside from the flat cables like a screen cleaner or power strip if they sell them cause techs have a requirement to sell you things to make a living. And above all - no matter if a kid comes by and knocks it out of alignment do NOT call Dish within 12 days after the visit for them to come back out to fix something that wasn't their fault, they will get hit hard for this no matter what. Ask the tech if you have any small issues like that can you contact them directly if its in the matter of 2 weeks to avoid that and most will give you an email address or phone number to avoid that as Trouble Calls or RC12's are horrible for a tech's record.

I assume you have a "standard" letter from the apartment management on installation rules .
They all pretty much read the same and I have found that if you take the time to go and talk to them,you may find that they will allow more then what the letter states.
Just because you see other dishes mounted on poles or tripods or even to the building or deck using lag bolts , does not mean that you can do it too....ask.
Our company will charge for materials and extra labor that is not part of a "standard free installation"
Some companies or salesmen will eat those expenses ,The dish approved flat cable alone can be up to 20$
Tip... run the flat cable through back side of the normally non moving sliding door if possible (just remove small brackets and it will slide)
As for your mounting options I would stay away from using a tripod or other Jerry-rigged mount and go with a non pen mount designed for dishes ( the kind use on flat roofs and held down by concrete blocks) any other method is not really approved by dish except for pole mounting.
In order to mount on a pole (If allowed) the installer my have to first have underground utilitys located which can take days. don't install it where the grounds keepers ( Lawn mowers) will bang into it.
Sometimes the dishes can be located on the end of the building near the cable company's drop box and the use the existing cable from there.
this is not an option if you need that cable for your internet connection.

A rail mount would be another option if you have a rail around the patio. Not as common on first floor units but not unheard of. I would also go with pole or nonpen mount, and that is what in-house installers will try to do. We always provided the flat cables, and the tip from above about putting it through the stationary panel is an excellent point, especially if you use the patio a lot. Every time you open and close the door it will slowly damage the flat cable if it's in the operating panel. Not all the installers are going to be comfortable taking apart your doorwall though.

Have all the tv's ready to go, and anything you care about moved away from them. I can't tell you how many times I had to move a collection of jade and onyx elephants or pictures of grandkids out of my way. It gets pretty frustrating. Try to locate any cable wall jacks in the rooms and have any furniture slid away for access as well in case the installer can use them.

Above all, just be pleasant and respectful to the tech and you will likely get excellent service in return.

Thanks for all the helpful advice! So if want to mount it to a cement square, and place the square on the edge of my patio (no rails on first floor), is there a certain one I should buy from Lowes/Home Depot? Can someone provide a link to give me an example? I know what I'm doing with wiring home theater, etc, however I am a novice when it comes to satellite installation.

Here are a few pics if you'd like to give your opinion. The ones without the dish are of my patio and to the left of my patio. The others are examples of what a few have done for installation. I talked to my apartment manager and she said normally you need to have it on your patio, unless you have area near your patio where the landscapers do not need to take care of. I was thinking that area where the concrete slabs are would be a good spot to place the dish? It looks like there will be enough space for someone to get around if they need to look at the electric meters. Or maybe it would be a safer option to place it on the patio? Also, in a couple of the other pics, it looks like they are using some kind of metal bracket and then they use concrete slabs to weigh it down. Is this bracket available from the installer and how much does it typically cost the customer? Thanks again for all of your advice!

Attachments

• 2014-07-18_16-38-32_864.jpg
    2014-07-18_16-38-32_864.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 2014-07-18_16-39-00_605.jpg
    2014-07-18_16-39-00_605.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 276
  • 2014-07-18_16-39-41_221.jpg
    2014-07-18_16-39-41_221.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 294
  • 2014-07-18_16-41-42_287.jpg
    2014-07-18_16-41-42_287.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 285
  • 2014-07-18_16-41-59_894.jpg
    2014-07-18_16-41-59_894.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 248
The "slab" are really pavers. If they have been there a while, they have probably settled, but if they would do any more, it could affect your aiming.

The "slab" are really pavers. If they have been there a while, they have probably settled, but if they would do any more, it could affect your aiming.
I thought maybe I could get that bracket on top and then put some concrete blocks/slabs on top of the bracket as seen in the other pictures?

I thought maybe I could get that bracket on top and then put some concrete blocks/slabs on top of the bracket as seen in the other pictures?
I would remove the pavers entirely, then do as you imagine from the photo.

Pic 4 looks like how I would do it (except you have reverse floor plan) but I wouldn't skimp on the blocks.
Here is another tip, take a marker or tape and mark the corners of the mount on the patio so you could realign it if it gets moved.

Do any of you know if the installer will have the ground mount I need? Is this something most installers have available? And I probably need to have those concrete blocks ready to go by the time he/she gets here correct?

Do any of you know if the installer will have the ground mount I need? Is this something most installers have available? And I probably need to have those concrete blocks ready to go by the time he/she gets here correct?
If you want to play it safe,here is a Dish approved flat cable you can order from eBay . it is the exact same kind that I have,& it is a lot more stable than those flat cables with the copper wire in the middle of it.

Reactions: ds2600
If you want to play it safe,here is a Dish approved flat cable you can order from eBay . it is the exact same kind that I have,& it is a lot more stable than those flat cables with the copper wire in the middle of it.
I wish that just the link for eBay would show up & not the whole.......well what's showing up right now,besides the fact that I now realize that it doesn't show if it's a "buy it now" or way to go directly to the website to examine it more. It's a Holland Flat Coaxial Cable. Ok,it is a buy it now item.

In house techs roll with a van with everything they need including flat cables patio mounts/temp pad 's etc.
Cant speak for 2nd & 3rd party outfits.
Is there a way to know if your installer will be in house or 2nd/3rd party? I ordered directly from dish.com if that makes a difference?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts