apartment mgmt got me!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tpayne105

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2006
Dallas, TX
I got a notice today that I must remove my dish from the balcony railing. Now I know this has been against their rules but I have had it up for over a year now, at least on the railing. I will abide by the rules but I am concerned about losing signal strength.

I am getting great strength now...but if i have to pull it off the railing, i will have to pull it back. There is an awning that is above the balcony railing. All my installers that have come out have said that with the awning, I will have trouble receiving HD channels.

Any suggestions on how to get the dish pushed out further without breaking our rules?

Also do I not have 30 days from today, when I received the notice, to abide by the rules?

Thanks

Todd

Nope, because technically hanging over or extending outside of the deck/patio's boundaries is also against the rules and not protected by OTARD. Neither is attaching to their rails, walls, using screws, bolts wall anchors, etc. Such area is considered to be common area; or not YOUR exclusive use area. You must get it all inside the boundaries; even if you have to make it lower to the ground and DO NOT attach anything nor drill holes.

I once put one on a 4X4 in bucket of cement. It worked great until it blew over and broke the reflector ....I just had to get a new reflector( plate, pan).

I'm just glad that it didn't fall backwards and break the glass door!

My landlaord made me get renter's insurance, but that ws OK with me.

Do the bucket trick, if there is an awning in the way do as charper mentioned and lower it closer to the ground.
Or you could possibly try mounting it inside in a bed room.

Jimbo

It should also work with a tripod.

Attachments

• 403043792.jpg
    403043792.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
I used an old microwave cart and weighed down the storage area to keep it in place. The dish will not be too high up and you can drill holes into the top of the cart. It worked great. My installer said the only way I could get a signal would be to have it hang over the railing. I was written up and moved it back 1 foot. The signal was fine. Give it a try if all else fails.

They will try the renters insurance trick. Anything they can to keep you from D* so they get the mounthly kick back check from the cable company.

I had to get the stupid renters insurance. They try everything to stop you. When I was written up, my dish was hanging over the railing by 4 inches. I took the office lady for a walk and pointed out all the flower boxes that were hanging on railings and all the flag poles mounted to the buildings. I told her I will move the dish back, but the next time I get written up I will be contacting a lawyer. If my dish goes, so do the flags and flower boxes. When I bought my house I told them my reason for leaving was that they discriminated against dish owners and getting their pockets lined by the cable company.

:) just another reason i became a full time rv'er. full freedom to go and do what when and where i want! it got to the point i did not want to be home. and most of the time i wasn't.

try this.
1. take a picture of every single thing hanging over a railing (like someone else mentioned) if they enforce the rule for you, they have to do it for everyone.
2. Ask them if they'll tolorate it if you paint it the same color as the building or balcony. they may go for that. my old complex let me do itl.
Remember. If you paint it, use FLAT spray paint not textured or glossy.

paint a picture of the balcony/house/flower pot on your dish, so it looks transparent :| or as if this is something else.

To update

I have an installer coming in the morning...we will see what can be done..I will suggest your suggestions if he doesn't know about them. Wish me luck!

Todd

Here waiting on the installer......They have never missed an appt with me. Actually this one appt, the retention agent worked me in with the local company...

We'll see if they show..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)