Apartment w/ central dish install question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dlindsay17

Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
I'd like to order Directv and I live in an apartment complex (in SoCalifornia) with a central dish on the roof that each unit is wired to. Would any installer be able to hook me up and activate me (i.e. short wait for install), or do I have to go with the company that wired the dish up top (several week wait for install)? Thanks for your assistance!

Ask your apartment manager if it is set up as an MDU or if everyone has thier own REG accounts. If its an MDU, the manager will tell you how to get started. If REG, give Directv a call to get your account set up.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
Ask your apartment manager if it is set up as an MDU or if everyone has thier own REG accounts. If its an MDU, the manager will tell you how to get started. If REG, give Directv a call to get your account set up.

I'm not sure what the difference between REG and MDU is, but there's only 16 units in the building (if that would help determine if it is REG or MDU...) My manager says that connecting should be as simple as plugging the coax lead into the proper apartment lead in the big comm box downstairs. He gave me a number to call (Multiband satellite) and they sound like they're just a regular installer -- but they have a long wait, that's why I'd like to go with someone else if possible. I also think I'd need a stacker/downconverter for the directivo. Thanks again.

MDU is a Multi Dwelling Unit, which most apts are set up as. This means that the apt has a company contracted to do all the work on the satellite, and install/set up new accounts. This would be the system operator.

I'd still ask him for clarification, if you call in a second party installer, and Multiband Sat is contracted for your apt building, it could cause some problems down the road, if you needed a service call for some reason. It could cause the account type to be set up incorrectly in our database, and if someone needed to come out to do repairs and we sent someone out, it would violate said contract with MS. When an account is set up as an MDU and something needs done, MDU accounts are referred to the system operator to get the contracted party to the premises to fix the problem. Anyway, Id ask just to be sure. If he gives you the go ahead to call whoever you want then it would be fine.

DirecTVTechCSR said:
MDU is a Multi Dwelling Unit, which most apts are set up as. This means that the apt has a company contracted to do all the work on the satellite, and install/set up new accounts. This would be the system operator.

I'd still ask him for clarification, if you call in a second party installer, and Multiband Sat is contracted for your apt building, it could cause some problems. If he gives you the go ahead to call whoever you want then it would be fine.

Thanks very much for the info. I'll see if that's the case and then proceed accordingly.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)