Appeals Court Finds Echostar in Contempt in TIVO Case

I assume Tivo feels they have nothing to lose by suing everyone, since they're being driven out of business. The lawyers are loving this.

Yes as microsoft filed a suite agaisnst tivo on behalf of att!
Additionally, I recall reading Verizon's reply and counterclaim to Tivo complaint...the baby bell claims that Tivo is infringing on at least a half-dozen of the patents they obtained. One things is for sure...Tivo's case against the Telcos is a lot different than their case against E*. I don't see Tivo getting one dime out of AT&T, Verizon and their business partners. We shall see.

Anyway, I read the entire 36-page ruling posted on page 1 of this thread (27-pages affirming contempt and 9-pages of Judge Rader's dissenting comments). To be honest, I found Judge Raders' dissenting comments to be baseless and merritless - rantings not based on case law. IMO, this case is over. I don't see the entire appellate court "en banc" hearing this case and, if they do, siding with E*.

Additionally, I recall reading Verizon's reply and counterclaim to Tivo complaint...the baby bell claims that Tivo is infringing on at least a half-dozen of the patents they obtained. One things is for sure...Tivo's case against the Telcos is a lot different than their case against E*. I don't see Tivo getting one dime out of AT&T, Verizon and their business partners. We shall see.

Anyway, I read the entire 36-page ruling posted on page 1 of this thread (27-pages affirming contempt and 9-pages of Judge Rader's dissenting comments). To be honest, I found Judge Raders' dissenting comments to be baseless and merritless - rantings not based on case law. IMO, this case is over. I don't see the entire appellate court "en banc" hearing this case and, if they do, siding with E*.

And you are a lawyer?

I thought when this was going to the 3-judge appeal phase I read that it rarely goes to the full appeals court unless there's a question about the law, and not the facts in the case. I don't think there are any questions about the law here, just disputes over the facts of the case (whether or not there's infringement, contempt, etc).

So $300 million + another year of infringement and damages + $2-$5/month per DVR paid to TiVo. Ouch. No wonder people are buying TiVo, it should have a decent spike after that news becomes official.

Are they old series 2 units though? My DirecTV 2 HR22/HR21s get pretty clunky, especially with MRV enabled. If TiVo can provide better performance than that, and all the same features promoted in the standalone TiVo devices... that will be sexy.

Are they old series 2 units though? My DirecTV 2 HR22/HR21s get pretty clunky, especially with MRV enabled. If TiVo can provide better performance than that, and all the same features promoted in the standalone TiVo devices... that will be sexy.
Perhaps they do perform better, which is why I did not list it as a reason why I don't like TiVos in my first post.

The main thing is that TiVos have the worst UI

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts