Apple Announces new iPhone 5

It was never been carrier that couldn't do it. It has always been the phone.

No additional antenna needed either to do it.

Not going to even get on the subject of voice lte as that is a long way off from reality.

This company chose to not have this feature.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/...ous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

Long detailed article on why VZ and Sprint and all other CDMA vendors do not get simultaneous voice and data from the iPhone5.

Essentially they did not want to put another radio and antenna in the phone for just CDMA users. They went instead with a configuration that gives them a single hardware version that actually supports more LTE bands, just the baseline software is different between the 3 models (NA GSM, NA & JP CDMA, & EU GSM).

Perhaps when VoLTE is rolled out widely the iPhone6+ will finally support it (only Metro PCS in the US currently supports voice over LTE).

When we had Sprint and their version of WiMax with the EVO you could do both voice and data at the same time so long as you were on their "4G". I was hoping they would have continued this with LTE.

Thanks, I see that now. I had set my alarm to wake me at 2:55 AM EDT, and I don't think my brain was fully functional until sometime after the time when I had succeeded in ordering both phones.

You are very welcome, and I totally understand. I was so groggy when I struggled to get mine ordered from the Apple store, I forgot all about using tha app.:eek:

I woke up in the middle of the night and ordered my phone and got the confirmation email. I tried to check out the order status this morning but it looks like there is a meltdown of the Apple Store at the current time... One would think that they would be better prepared for these launches by now. Perhaps it is a marketing strategy to give the perception of scarcity.

I can't get thru online using IE I get to where it asks if I'm a current AT&T customer replacing or adding a new line. I select replacing a current phone and press continue and it refreshes the screen and asks me again. And the phone has a 20 minute wait.

Sigh.

I woke up in the middle of the night and ordered my phone and got the confirmation email. I tried to check out the order status this morning but it looks like there is a meltdown of the Apple Store at the current time... One would think that they would be better prepared for these launches by now. Perhaps it is a marketing strategy to give the perception of scarcity.

Or maybe the demand is so high it went beyond their best efforts to meet it... who knows... If I had to guess, they are selling a LOT OF PHONES today.

Or maybe the demand is so high it went beyond their best efforts to meet it... who knows... If I had to guess, they are selling a LOT OF PHONES today.

It is now being reported that the initial shipments were sold out within an hour: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-5...servers/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Initial stock from Apple for release day delivery sold out in less than an hour. Those looking to purchase the phone just after 1 a.m. PT discovered new orders from Apple's online site had estimated shipping times of "2 weeks" instead of the original "delivers by" September 21 message.

Looks like plenty of demand... Glad I woke up and ordered! But, I suspect that like in the past a lot of the "2 weeks" will still make it on launch day or the day after. They just are probably being conservative. The launch day ones are probably already at the Fedex depots, the others will come off the line in China.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6295/...ous-voice-and-lte-or-evdo-svlte-svdo-support-

Long detailed article on why VZ and Sprint and all other CDMA vendors do not get simultaneous voice and data from the iPhone5.

Essentially they did not want to put another radio and antenna in the phone for just CDMA users. They went instead with a configuration that gives them a single hardware version that actually supports more LTE bands, just the baseline software is different between the 3 models (NA GSM, NA & JP CDMA, & EU GSM).

Perhaps when VoLTE is rolled out widely the iPhone6+ will finally support it (only Metro PCS in the US currently supports voice over LTE).

It could have easily been done with a little innovation from the "innovator".

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

This is just like the 4S release last year. I was able to walk into a Verizon store on release day with no line and was able to leave the store within 10 minutes with 2 iPhone 4Ss.

Well, I couldn't get thru on the Apple site, but AT&T took my money. No estimated ship date, though.

Well the Apple store seems to be working properly again. I logged in and see it on track for the 21st. I hope it arrives a day early like last time.

as someone who makes a living on large scale IT stuff, the "slowness" could well have been a conscious decision to avoid having excess capacity sitting idle 350+ days of the year.

I'm not privy to their design or targets to know with certainty but am offering this possibility.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

as someone who makes a living on large scale IT stuff, the "slowness" could well have been a conscious decision to avoid having excess capacity sitting idle 350+ days of the year.

I'm not privy to their design or targets to know with certainty but am offering this possibility.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

"Lease"

Not worth the effort / expense for lease on something that's needed 1 or 2 days a year.

What level do you want to serve at your target response times, bearing in mind that the higher the % the more $$$$ you invoke.

98% percentile? Covers All but ~1 week of the year.
99% percentile? Covers All but ~ 3.5 days of the year
99.7% percentile? Covers All but ~1 day of the year.

You have a workload X that is in the 99.7th percentile. The last day of the year (.3%) could well require 10x. That is a very expensive proposition and the business has to make the decision to invest for that last bit or not. This is part of what goes into the decision making process for building large scale sites.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)