Apple Announces new iPhone 5

I wonder if Amazon's elastic cloud could handle it? Given the sales Amazon has, I suspect that they could handle the rush. But, given the reality, yes Apple has to do in house given the AT&T/Sprint/VZ interface, Credit card and other billing information. They need a smoother failure method though.

It could have easily been done with a little innovation from the "innovator".

Another innovation I would have like to have seen is more colors. Given the anodized aluminum colors of the iPods, it would have been nice to have more than just a black or white phone. I have to admit I am a bit jealous of the iPod. I realize it is to keep the number of skews manageable. Given they B/W/GSM US/CDMA/GSMUS/16/32/64 or 18 skews right now, I can see why they limit the color selection.

mike:

Since we don't know what the one day of the year spike is, we can't say what can handle it. We also don't know where the bottleneck(s) are in the system or whether this is in house, colocated or outsourced.

We don't know the application architecture either. all of these are factors.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Anodized aluminum: it's pretty hard, and is beautiful when new.
After it gets scratched up a bit, there is no fix for the finish.

I picked up a Lance Armstrong thin carbon fiber case for my 3GS on clearance for a buck.
If the anodized snap-on covers were built similarly, they'd be easily replaceable.

But that might eat into upgrade sales. - ;)

Speaking of cases, I run a bumper on my 4.
Bought a whole rainbow collection of 'em for about $10 shipped, total.

Since when is anodized aluminum in colors an "innovation".

It would not be an innovation for an ordinary cell phone. But, it would be spun into a spectacular innovation for the iPhone by Apple, just like going to 16:9 is "groundbreaking"... Just look at how crazy people went when the white iPhone was delayed...

Of course it is not really innovating, just that I was replying to digiblur who was pointing out that Android phones have had all sorts of things in the past that now Apple has, but when Apple puts it in it is a "new innovation".

Scott Greczkowski said:
I ordered it without an issue, and already got my confirmation email. :)

It was the smoothest iPhone order I have ever had. :)

It wasn't such a smooth experience for me. It took me more than an hour around 6 AM!
First, it didn't work for me at all in the Internet Explorer, perhaps due to some aggressive security settings in the browser or maybe because Apple doesn't like Windows - I am not sure, so I had to switch to my iPad.
Second, I wanted it shipped to my work address, but it wouldn't let me change the shipping address. I even tried changing my Apple profile - still it wouldn't ship anywhere else except for my home address. Neither would it allow me to schedule an in-store pick-up: that option was grayed-out for some reason.
Third, it wouldn't let me expedite the shipping: the only choice was the free 5-day standard shipping. And it didn't even say when it is expected to be shipped or delivered - just something like within two weeks from the day of the order...

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Ilya said:
Neither would it allow me to schedule an in-store pick-up: that option was grayed-out for some reason.
Third, it wouldn't let me expedite the shipping: the only choice was the free 5-day standard shipping. And it didn't even say when it is expected to be shipped or delivered - just something like within two weeks from the day of the order...
I had the same issue with shipping options when I ordered mine, but I was using Safari on Lion, so I don't think it was an IE problem. I am going to call and see if I can have Apple send it to our local Apple Store for pickup.

I went with the normal shipping since it is "free" and my phone is showing up 9/21 whether it's Next Day Expedited or regular shipping.

My wife said our CC company tattled on me. I was trying to be somewhat stealthy about the upgrade since I'm sending in my iP4 to Gazelle and I know my son has this unreasonable expectation that he's going get it when I upgrade. So sorry, not going to happen...

Foxbat said:
I had the same issue with shipping options when I ordered mine, but I was using Safari on Lion, so I don't think it was an IE problem. I am going to call and see if I can have Apple send it to our local Apple Store for pickup.

I went with the normal shipping since it is "free" and my phone is showing up 9/21 whether it's Next Day Expedited or regular shipping.

My wife said our CC company tattled on me. I was trying to be somewhat stealthy about the upgrade since I'm sending in my iP4 to Gazelle and I know my son has this unreasonable expectation that he's going get it when I upgrade. So sorry, not going to happen...

From what I can tell it is shipping to the primary address on the phone bill. That might explain why people couldn't get other options. That might be for security reasons.

Scott Greczkowski said:
They are no longer taking online orders according to a report I just heard on the radio via CBS news.

AP just read that iphone5 orders exceeded supply and those who ordered just before the online was closed are in 2 week wait for shipment. Best to get in line Monday now for store inventory. I would avoid Apple stores and go to carriers. Seems the online orders were open only 9 hours before sold out. Amazing!

Sent from my iPad3 using SatelliteGuys app

As of close of business Friday night, Radio Shack had not shut down pre-orders.
The implication bring, get there first thing Sat morning, and you should receive yours in one week, like everyone who ordered ahead of you.
This applies to AT&T and Sprint only.
Verizon handsets go through a Verizon warehouse, and may be a week behind.
(you'll want to verify delivery)

Don:

Apple usually posts great numbers, but without knowing available supply we don't know how "good" it was. Same thing with retailers -- where we don't know the preliminary allocations.

If it stays true to pattern, it'll be quite nice, but without stats (and obviously Apple is looking for the 3rdQ boost) to validate it's too soon to tell how it compares to previous offerings.

My order status says delivery on October 5 :(
I guess it was my mistake to order at 6 AM. I should've ordered at 3AM!
I didn't expect them to sell out the first batch so quickly...

My order status says delivery on October 5 :(
I guess it was my mistake to order at 6 AM. I should've ordered at 3AM!
I didn't expect them to sell out the first batch so quickly...

A lot of people were surprised with early shipments last couple times around. Hopefully they will surprise you with one. I suspect the first wave is already staged at Fedex, and you are part of the second+ wave coming from China. If things go smoothly the second wave should arrive faster than expected.

I wish they had one in that Kimmel video where they said- This doesn't look any better than my iphone 4s. I need to go and cancel my iphone 5 order. :D

One of my coworkers walked in to the AT&T store in the mall Friday night and was able to pre-order a 64 GB iPhone 5 for pick up next Friday, no problems. The AT&T sales person did say that they were out of their allocation of 16 and 32 GB models.

One of my coworkers walked in to the AT&T store in the mall Friday night and was able to pre-order a 64 GB iPhone 5 for pick up next Friday, no problems. The AT&T sales person did say that they were out of their allocation of 16 and 32 GB models.

Not surprised the only thing left is a 64GB model. $$$$. Indeed, when I got an iPad 2, the only one I could find was a 64GB model.

In the process of doing the final upgrade to my 4S; to the gold master of iOS 6. The phone will be my kid's soon, and I know it won't run on the beta build forever. But do I despise full OS installs. So slow... And I haven't even dealt with my iPad yet...

Yeah! I was wrong. Software update, but didn't wipe the device! Yeah! :)

And the panorama feature made it to the final version of iOS6 for the 4S. Even better. :D Testing it now.

rockymtnhigh said:
Yeah! I was wrong. Software update, but didn't wipe the device! Yeah! :)

And the panorama feature made it to the final version of iOS6 for the 4S. Even better. :D Testing it now.

What method did you use?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)