Apple Announces new iPhone 5

I think it's some sort of reflection or chromatic aberration within the lens.

I don't know if this can be corrected in software.

Sent from my iPad 3 using SatelliteGuys

Here is a quick example.

image-4109395288.jpg

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

I took a photo inside, and there was bright light from one window, and I observed pretty much the same thing. Boo! Hopefully they find a way to fix this. But I agree, I am not certain how software would do it.

I did some experiments. It's definitely a flare. I can cover the source of the light with my hand, and right before my hand enters the frame, the flare disappears. So, it's not coming from any light within the frame, it's from the light source just outside the frame. Some sort of lens hood could do the trick. ;)

What worries me is that this issue, like the antenna issue in iPhone 4 should've been caught and corrected in early stages of development and prototyping...

Got home today to find a FedEx box. Odd, I wasn't expecting anything. Opened it. Guess what was inside?

Original order was on the 14th, corrected one on the 24th. Today, the AT&T website shows a shipping date of 9/30. BTW it's the 64 model.

Arrived quite early, per what I was told verbally, not sure I can mess with it just yet, due to time constraints and an injured left paw.

My iPhone 4 had the oddest flare pattern in low light situations, so I think we're dealing with the limits of usable optics here. I have not noticed the purple flare, but if I did, I'd move my shot to eliminate it or minimize it. Or, I'd hold up a hand to shield the camera lens from the offending light source.

It's photography, people. You want the light source behind you if you can. Here's two examples of having the light in your face taken with my iPhone 5:

Attachments

• image-3194910421.jpg
    image-3194910421.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3352818360.jpg
    image-3352818360.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 92
John Kotches said:
i think there's an hdr (high dynamic range ) option in the camera, I wonder if that alters the purple skew.

Not much. I get the purple flare whether the HDR mode is on or off.

Sent from my iPhone5 using SatelliteGuys

I just noticed that when I look at Facebook pictures and turn the phone sideways, the picture no longer fills the whole screen. Is this an issue because of the bigger screen on the phone or is this an iOS 6 issue. I could have sworn that the entire screen was filled on my old iPhone 4.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I just noticed that when I look at Facebook pictures and turn the phone sideways, the picture no longer fills the whole screen. Is this an issue because of the bigger screen on the phone or is this an iOS 6 issue. I could have sworn that the entire screen was filled on my old iPhone 4.

I think it depends on the photo's size. I don't think all photos automatically shifted to full-screen.

smokey982 said:
They were my vacation photos I put on Facebook a few months ago. I'm sure they were full screen on my iPhone 4.

If they filled the 4's screen and looked correct then they'd either have to be stretched or zoomed in to fill all of the 5's screen. Think SD signal on an HD screen.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I did some experiments. It's definitely a flare. I can cover the source of the light with my hand, and right before my hand enters the frame, the flare disappears. So, it's not coming from any light within the frame, it's from the light source just outside the frame. Some sort of lens hood could do the trick. ;)

I wonder if something as small as a felt washer or something would act as enough of a hood.

I took a bunch of pictures tonight at the football game, if I had a 5 with this problem I'd bet most of them would look strange.

IMG_20121003_184937.jpg

I do not want to jinx this, but man, I am incredibly impressed with my battery life on this phone. I have said it before, but it has been a rock star for me.

And I like that compared with when I switched from one Droid to another, I did not feel like I had to learn anything to use the iPhone 5. Part of that has to do with the elegance of iOS; part of it has to do with the fact that I had been using iOS6 for several months in beta. But regardless, its been a good couple weeks with the phone.

Clock Widget

Creepy Android malware jumps from your phone to your PC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)