Apple Announces new iPhone 5

navychop:

We are in the early adoption / chicken versus egg phase on NFC. Not that large a number of devices with NFC which doesn't give the clearing houses (Visa, MC, AmEx etc) motivation to get the capable readers out . I'm not sure what the tipping point is, but clearly we aren't there yet. Would Apple including it push that point on the phone side? Quite possibly.

LTE reached tipping point (IMO) late last year so Apple had to include it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I certainly agree. I just don't see the business for Apple to include it at this juncture.

4inch? No NFC? They are definitely sticking to their guns of releasing tech that is 1.5 to 2.0 years old time and time again. How's that yearly milking going?

I'm sure I'll hear the fanboy spin of NFC is pointless or is stupid and that's why they don't need it, I thought the same at first but now I use mine all the time where it is available, just so much easier and have all my transactions and their exact locations right on my phone when I need to check them. And if only a 4 inch screen phone fits in your pocket, then you need to trade in your skinny jeans for some manly ones.

You have places that accept NFC? I've yet to see one, and you'd think the DC metro area would get it early.

Even though I am going to upgrade I will still wait for all the hype to die. I do not need it the first week it comes out. Heck I may even be able to wait a few months, if my phone last that long.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone 3GS using SatelliteGuys

If you want to keep your unlimited data you will have to pay full retail for your next phone. :(

From what I've read, this is Verizon only. AT&T will let us keep it for the discount price. The only catch is, you get throttled after 5GB. Of course, AT&T's current price for 5GB is $50, and the $30 you pay for unlimited would otherwise buy 3GB, so it is definitely a deal. I was worried AT&T would use LTE as a excuse to kill it.

Certainly it will be a upgrade from my 3G. I'll worry about NFC in another 3.5 years (i.e. the time since I got my 3G). My guess is size and/or battery life considerations kept NFC out. Seems to me the Passbook onboard app was set up for it.

I expect in a year (or more, returning to the spring release cycle) we will see an iPhone 5s with the missing features. NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, a higher rez camera, a slightly faster A6X chip, and some software features.

Even though I am going to upgrade I will still wait for all the hype to die. I do not need it the first week it comes out. Heck I may even be able to wait a few months, if my phone last that long.

The longer you wait, the sooner you will likely get JB

4inch? No NFC? They are definitely sticking to their guns of releasing tech that is 1.5 to 2.0 years old time and time again. How's that yearly milking going?

I'm sure I'll hear the fanboy spin of NFC is pointless or is stupid and that's why they don't need it, I thought the same at first but now I use mine all the time where it is available, just so much easier and have all my transactions and their exact locations right on my phone when I need to check them. And if only a 4 inch screen phone fits in your pocket, then you need to trade in your skinny jeans for some manly ones.

Yet they beat everyone to the punch with the A15 core, and top of the line graphics processing. I can see the market for the huge phone screen, but I can also see the smaller screen market. I personally prefer the smaller screen, but then again I do not surf the web 24x7 on my smartphone. Every phone will have compromises, Apple targets the maximum number of selling points, but given that they only have 1 phone per year they are not going to hit ever market. I still do not see NFC at merchants I go to, perhaps this will change in the next year or 2, probably about the time Apple includes NFC.

From what I've read, this is Verizon only. AT&T will let us keep it for the discount price. The only catch is, you get throttled after 5GB. Of course, AT&T's current price for 5GB is $50, and the $30 you pay for unlimited would otherwise buy 3GB, so it is definitely a deal. I was worried AT&T would use LTE as a excuse to kill it.

Certainly it will be a upgrade from my 3G. I'll worry about NFC in another 3.5 years (i.e. the time since I got my 3G). My guess is size and/or battery life considerations kept NFC out. Seems to me the Passbook onboard app was set up for it.

I expect in a year (or more, returning to the spring release cycle) we will see an iPhone 5s with the missing features. NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, a higher rez camera, a slightly faster A6X chip, and some software features.

Yes, so far AT&T seems to allow us to upgrade and keep that unlimited plan. I will take advantage of that, quick, before they reconsider. And I really don't use that much data. But it's an ever increasing amount, I'm sure.

But somehow, I doubt they'll do such a spring release. I think they're sure they can stretch a year out on this one. Not really much more than NFC that will be ready in time to start manufacturing for a spring release.

navychop said:
You have places that accept NFC? I've yet to see one, and you'd think the DC metro area would get it early.

Anything with pay pass is NFC...any credit card reader that you can tap a credit card on will take NFC...we have them all over here in Akron (CVS, burger king, speedway, McDonalds, arbys)

Yes, so far AT&T seems to allow us to upgrade and keep that unlimited plan. I will take advantage of that, quick, before they reconsider. And I really don't use that much data. But it's an ever increasing amount, I'm sure.

But somehow, I doubt they'll do such a spring release. I think they're sure they can stretch a year out on this one. Not really much more than NFC that will be ready in time to start manufacturing for a spring release.

I do not see AT&T really getting rid of the "unlimited" plan. Considering they have really gotten rid of it by limiting it to 3GB 3G or 5GB LTE before slowing it down to edge level of speed. VZ on the other hand would only throttle if the tower was too busy.

Yet they beat everyone to the punch with the A15 core, and top of the line graphics processing. I can see the market for the huge phone screen, but I can also see the smaller screen market. I personally prefer the smaller screen, but then again I do not surf the web 24x7 on my smartphone. Every phone will have compromises, Apple targets the maximum number of selling points, but given that they only have 1 phone per year they are not going to hit ever market. I still do not see NFC at merchants I go to, perhaps this will change in the next year or 2, probably about the time Apple includes NFC.

Since my wife got an iPad3, the screen size issue isn't important. I think the 4" over my 3GS will be nice, as a slightly larger keyboard will help when posting from the phone. And I really think NFC is rolling out slowly, so a year, maybe even two years from now, will be fine. And I'll probably be one of those with an aluminum foil case, since some NFC theft has been reportedly been documented. ;)

It has struck me: I have decided to buy a new release of an Apple product, without any concerns. For Microsoft, since DOS days, I would NEVER buy ANY first release. I'd wait until the second or third version. Simple self preservation.

DodgerKing said:
Very true.

Since you use location spoofer for MLB, you might want to hold off until the end of the season if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

John Kotches said:
dangue:

nfc roughly 2 years ago? With absolute certainty, Nexus S. The original Nexus 1 may have had it. Im sure there were others, but I haven't done an exhaustive search.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks John, I had no idea it's been actively implemented for that long.

Digi, I've never even heard of the non-payment NFC passes you mentioned. That does sound really interesting.

Please... There are tons of Mastercard paypass machines around. Even this little backwoods gas station near my buddies house had one.

Take the Apple goggles off guys so you can see. It seems just about every where you look people are taking a dump on this thing.

Trade in those skinny jeans for some real man pants to fit a 2012 smartphone.

Peace out... I'm leaving the Apple spin zone.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

JamesJ said:
Anything with pay pass is NFC...any credit card reader that you can tap a credit card on will take NFC...we have them all over here in Akron (CVS, burger king, speedway, McDonalds, arbys)

Haha, I thought those were RFID payment. Stupid me, I have seen NFC payments options here (my local CVS).

Haha, I thought those were RFID payment. Stupid me, I have seen NFC payments options here (my local CVS).

Tons of them around... I love the look on people's faces as they think you just hacked the credit card machine.

Gotta give it to some folks in this thread. Your following is strong. But don't sit here and try to explain to me that you don't need a feature. That's like you explaining to me that I don't need a trunk on my car because it clutter up things. But what about my groceries? Put them in the front seat so you can see them better. Just sounds downright retarded and dumb doesn't it? Man up, I have no issues telling you what sucks and is stupid on any products I buy, nothing is perfect.

The sad thing about all of this is I came here looking for the real info on the phone as I found a blog with slides of the speech. I really thought that website was playing a joke with the new features and things it had posted. Kinda of like the leaked keynote speech on YouTube the other day.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Can't wait to compare this with the galaxy note 2 when it's available.

It's funny you say that. Wife and I were talking about what we value the most out of her phones

hers: frustration free, just works, physical keyboard - her iphone has been the opposite of all of those things to the point where she'll probably never buy another Apple product again

mine: large screen, reliable, take decent photos, fast, not really brand loyal if my needs are met

...and realized in the last week or so I've only made/recieved 1 phone call that would require me to even put it to my ear... the rest were quick calls to my wife that I wouldn't want to text message.

One of the absurd looking larger phones may end up being perfect for me, I don't have small hands, I used mine constantly to browse the web/email/etc.

So yeah, we'll see what the Note 3 looks like in a year when it's time. Or the 5S, or whatever WP8 and other Android offerings are available. Maybe HTC will have a 2nd iteration of their Note rival by then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)