Apple Announces new iPhone 5

I think three things disappointed me about this event.

1) no NFC in the phone- and yes, this isn't a mature tech/field yet, but I think apple could have gone a long ways towards influencing the widespread adoption of this.

2) the camera is only modestly better than the 4S, I would have liked to have seen more innovation on this front

3) the change in the iPod nano. I like that they added Bluetooth, but I was hoping they'd keep the form factor and allow us to use it as a watch that can use Bluetooth to connect to our phones and check email/text/calendar/caller ID info without having to pull the phone out of our pockets. Granted there's a kickstarter project that aims at doing just that, but a unified iOS solution would probably be that much smoother.

I have a 4...not quite ready to jump out and get the 5 yet. The longer battery life is a nice touch though

I am not eligible for anew phone till May but I would want to her real world experiences on battery life before especially with LTE on. My son just got a galaxy S3 and he hates the battery life with LTE>

I guess I am just not sure the changes are enough and I prefer battery life to LTE speed.

The Galaxy S2 (without LTE) is routinely smoked by my Motorola Photon (With Wimax 4G) in battery life. I wouldn't expect the S3 to be any better; and by all reports it isn't.

I think three things disappointed me about this event.

1) no NFC in the phone- and yes, this isn't a mature tech/field yet, but I think apple could have gone a long ways towards influencing the widespread adoption of this.

What money is there to be made on this by Apple? Not trying to sound cynical, but if there's no Money in NFC for them why would they include it?

2) the camera is only modestly better than the 4S, I would have liked to have seen more innovation on this front

Pardon the pun, but that remains to be seen in real world tests.

Last edited:
What money is there to be made on this by Apple? Not trying to sound cynical, but if there's no Money in NFC for them why would they include it?

They don't make money on the camera, either, but it helps sell the phone. I don't think NFC will be making any inroads for the next couple of years, so no need for it in the iPhone just yet. It's not for Apple to spend the money on something currently useless, just to help drive the technology deployment so someone else can make some money.

I will preorder the 5 to replace my 3GS. NOW- got to see if I can pre-order an OtterBox defender for the 5. And a belt case large enough for the 5, with the OtterBox case. Man, that's going to get kinda large.

navychop:

We are in the early adoption / chicken versus egg phase on NFC. Not that large a number of devices with NFC which doesn't give the clearing houses (Visa, MC, AmEx etc) motivation to get the capable readers out . I'm not sure what the tipping point is, but clearly we aren't there yet. Would Apple including it push that point on the phone side? Quite possibly.

LTE reached tipping point (IMO) late last year so Apple had to include it.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

The Galaxy S2 (without LTE) is routinely smoked by my Motorola Photon (With Wimax 4G) in battery life. I wouldn't expect the S3 to be any better; and by all reports it isn't.

I traded my iPhone 4 in for a Razer Maxx and the battery life is unbelievable. I loved my iPhone but was sick of looking at nothing but Icons.Plus the 4S is was a disappointment IMHO. 6 years now and still nothing but Icons to look at? I hope they let you customize it someday. If so I will be back.

4inch? No NFC? They are definitely sticking to their guns of releasing tech that is 1.5 to 2.0 years old time and time again. How's that yearly milking going?

I'm sure I'll hear the fanboy spin of NFC is pointless or is stupid and that's why they don't need it, I thought the same at first but now I use mine all the time where it is available, just so much easier and have all my transactions and their exact locations right on my phone when I need to check them. And if only a 4 inch screen phone fits in your pocket, then you need to trade in your skinny jeans for some manly ones.

Who says there's no money for them in NFC. There are all kinds of competing NFC "ventures" for lack of a better term. Apple incorporating one of them into its devices would be a huge boon to that venture/platform. I'm sure apple could leverage that to profit either by being paid on the front end to adopt a specific NFC platform or on the back end as a small percentage of each transaction.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

John,

As far as the camera side of things, I say I'm disappointed because its not innovative, it's just iterative. They've managed to design a smaller camera that can do what the old one was capable of. Less time between photos, great. But that's really just the processor being able to do the job better. Panorama and photo captures from video, great, but that's software related.

I'd love for them to have improved the optics on this thing. I know there's an obsession with making phones smaller and lighter, but I'd they had opted for the same thickness they could have greatly increased battery capacity and still had more room to work some optics magic (better IS, resolution, larger sensor or even improved zoom, variable shutter speed). There's just not much of a wow factor that drastically sets it apart from the cameras on other phones. And yes, I know that much of what I've said is a bit impractical for a phone camera, but that doesn't mean that we can't hope for more and therefore push these companies to keep innovating.

Nothing really announced today to keep me with iOS. My dad and I have been checking out the Galaxy Note for a couple of weeks and he decided to go with a Galaxy Note this afternoon and he is already loving the larger screen. I think I am going to give up my iphone and get a Galaxy Note 2 when they become available. I still have 8 months on my contract, so probably just buy an unlocked one when Samsung makes them available. I can sell my iphone 4 and my Galaxy S, I got back from dad this afternoon, and probably break even.

digiblur said:
4inch? No NFC? They are definitely sticking to their guns of releasing tech that is 1.5 to 2.0 years old time and time again. How's that yearly milking going?

I'm sure I'll hear the fanboy spin of NFC is pointless or is stupid and that's why they don't need it, I thought the same at first but now I use mine all the time where it is available, just so much easier and have all my transactions and their exact locations right on my phone when I need to check them. And if only a 4 inch screen phone fits in your pocket, then you need to trade in your skinny jeans for some manly ones.

What phone had NFC 2 years ago? A year ago people were hoping Apple would adopt it to help spur widespread usage and availability, I honestly can't remember much talk of NFC prior to the six months leading up to the 4S announcement. How long has it been incorporated into Android phones? I'm thinking you 1.5-2 years behind jab has more to do with screen size than NFC, am I right?

And I have no doubt that it's useful "where available", but just how often is it available? And have you encountered any problems with fragmentation of NFC payment options? I honestly think it would have been a nice feature to have, but I definitely think Apple's failure to adopt it will impact the overall acceptance and maturation of NFC.

I don't think it will impact it much. Their time in the drivers seat is over. So many android phones out there with it now, I don't see many iPhones in people's hands anymore.

Yes it was about the screen size and them finally adding 4g. No I don't consider the HSPA re branded as 4g. There were many other features as well I saw on the slides that were just old features.

Kinda disappointed to see them take the easy road. They must be too busy in their lawsuits and figure they will end up being the only game since they sued everyone else. No point in new tech then since there would be no competitors.

I was hoping to see something new.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I don't think it will impact it much. Their time in the drivers seat is over. So many android phones out there with it now, I don't see many iPhones in people's hands anymore.

Yes it was about the screen size and them finally adding 4g. No I don't consider the HSPA re branded as 4g. There were many other features as well I saw on the slides that were just old features.

Kinda disappointed to see them take the easy road. They must be too busy in their lawsuits and figure they will end up being the only game since they sued everyone else. No point in new tech then since there would be no competitors.

While I Agree with most of what you say it just seems like it's coming from someone who hates apple.
I have never seen anything positive from you about them.

That's how I felt last year. The 4S had no LTE and it still had a small screen. Plus again with the nothing but Icons. Siri wasn't enough for me to upgrade and I was disappointed. I love Apple computers(27inch iMac and 15in Macbook pro) but I was ready for LTE and a bigger screen now. I got the Razr Maxx and haven't looked back. Great Battery life, big screen and 7 screens to customize. I had no idea what I was missing with widgets. I have 3 sports widgets running while I'm at Buckeye games. I love it.

Now my friends who would rather die than give up their iPhone give me crap but they love my Ohio State clock on my home screen. When college games are on it has live scores and updates in real time. Tap a score and it will give you info on the game. One thing they love more than Apple is Ohio State. They all want that clock and the sports score widgets.

When Apple lets me make my phone look different than everyone else s. I will probably go back. Then again maybe not. Hell it took what 4 years for them just to let us put a pic in the backgound.

Digi,

Can you speak to how widespread you've found NFC to be? I haven't noticed it around here (but I haven't been looking and I do most of my purchasing via the Internet).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)