Apple Announces new iPhone 5

I think they got iPhone 4 first quarter 2010, no more than 6 months after release to AT&T.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone_4

i have a diehard Verizon-only friend.
Some of these guys are as rabid as iPhone fan-boys! ;)

I think first quarter 2011; the 4S came out in October, and that's when I switched. I am pretty sure, if my memory is correct, OG Droid came to Verizon in Fall 2009. A year later I got the DX (2010), then the iPhone 4S (Oct 2011), and now the 5.

John Kotches said:
And Apple charges $30 for the adapters. The cost can't be that high as many Android phones utilize this connector technology.

As I said, good for consumers as in not paying $30 for cables as opposed to cables much much cheaper for MicroUSB and "only" much cheaper for MHL.

Example:
MHL to HDMI ~10.00 from Monoprice
MHL/Micro USB ~1.50 from Monoprice

???? The reason for the high cost of this new adapter is two fold..it's new and there is more then just a connector at work here it has nothing to do with hdmi output.

???? The reason for the high cost of this new adapter is two fold..it's new and there is more then just a connector at work here it has nothing to do with hdmi output.

Other than lack of keying, what can the new connector do that MHL can't?

For a couple of people who've said that they have issues with MicroUSB (MHL uses the same physical connector) it really isn't that difficult to figure out. No issues for me in the dark -- all you need to know is which direction the teeth go in and that takes maybe a night or two. Practice makes perfect.

I also haven't had issues with durability. I have read reports about HTC having issues with durability -- especially with the 1st gen EVOs. That says more about build quality though rather than the connector.

I read one of the other reasons Apple went with Lightning over microUSB was the smaller conductors in the MicroUSB connector limiting current to 500 mA. With Lightning, iPads will be able to charge at the faster rate when plugged into one of Apple's 1,000 mA chargers or a computer that supports it over its USB ports.

To answer carrier and order time, I stayed up late and got my order in on Apple's website (actually the EPP site since our company gets a discount, even though it doesn't cover iPhones). The EPP discount did cover the accessories I knew I wanted like an extra Lightning to USB cable for the car.

I received my AT&T 32GB Black & Slate iPhone 5 just before 10am on Friday 9/21.

Last edited:
churning at Verizon

Hall suggested no Verizon customer with an iPhone would have passed the two year mark, yet.
He's right - and Verizon started with iPhone 4 handsets, not 4S's. (see link above)
However, in the past, some carriers (AT&T, maybe?) waived the early upgrade on some customers,
(maybe long time or large account customers) and put them in 4S's early.
I don't know Verizon's policy.
But they'd be fools to miss out on the current feeding frenzy. ;)

Foxbat,

Computers are limited to half an amp, that's a USB bus limitation. Standalone chargers aren't.

IIRC, there's a provision for 1 amp in the usb 3 specification.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Other than lack of keying, what can the new connector do that MHL can't?

For a couple of people who've said that they have issues with MicroUSB (MHL uses the same physical connector) it really isn't that difficult to figure out. No issues for me in the dark -- all you need to know is which direction the teeth go in and that takes maybe a night or two. Practice makes perfect.

I also haven't had issues with durability. I have read reports about HTC having issues with durability -- especially with the 1st gen EVOs. That says more about build quality though rather than the connector.

Well you might be able to do it, but others have had issues

Edit: I have seen MANY times where peoples usb ports are all jacked up from them trying to do it in the dark, and they get really lose, but to each his own.

Last edited:
Went to the Apple Store on Michigan Avenue in Chicago, wanted a lightning adapter. Sold out. They had zero iPhone 5 cases. Walked to the big AT&T store, no adapters. But had some decent cases. Finally found one at the Verizon store. Sheesh... a lot of work for a damn cable. and they should give everyone who bought an iPhone 5 who owns a prior iOS device two free cables. :)

I did get Apple Care + though when at the Apple Store. So I am not protected in case I crack the glass.

Best Buy has a pretty good selection of cases for the iPhone 5 at the two stores I've been to. I picked up a cheap clear soft plastic case for now until my iFrogz case arrives. Actually the clear case is pretty nice and lightweight.

I notice that the Otterbox Defender for iPhone5 that arrived is hardly larger than the case I currently carry my 3GS w/OD in.

I ordered the 5 on 9/14. Discovered on 9/24 that there was some kind of mixup with the zip code, and the order was put on hold. No email sent, per "policy." I straightened it out over the phone, was to receive an email within 24 to 48 hours. Never did. I wonder if that's because I gave them a ".name" email address. But at least, today, it finally showed up as on order. "Processing." Guess I'll get an EDD after it arrives.

Are deliverymen just dropping it off or does someone have to sign?

BTW, that AT&T site is "really" up to date. NOT. Under Technical Support it has only two questions: How to replace a broken phone, and How do I activate my new iPhone 3G? I don't think they're getting too many hits on that second one.

Apple's site has a signature waiver form that you can print and leave at your door. Otherwise, I don't think they will drop it off without a signature.

navychop said:
I ordered the 5 on 9/14. Discovered on 9/24 that there was some kind of mixup with the zip code, and the order was put on hold. No email sent, per "policy." I straightened it out over the phone, was to receive an email within 24 to 48 hours. Never did. I wonder if that's because I gave them a ".name" email address. But at least, today, it finally showed up as on order. "Processing." Guess I'll get an EDD after it arrives.

BTW, that AT&T site is "really" up to date. NOT. Under Technical Support it has only two questions: How to replace a broken phone, and How do I activate my new iPhone 3G? I don't think they're getting too many hits on that second one.

I had to sign for mine delivered by ups. When it shows as shipped at apple.com you can print off a signature authorization form to hang on your door. Then they can just leave it on your porch.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Apple's site has a signature waiver form that you can print and leave at your door. Otherwise, I don't think they will drop it off without a signature.
are pretty fussy about enforcing signature requirements.

I have never had to sign for any phone and the FedEx and UPS drivers that deliver to my home

are pretty fussy about enforcing signature requirements.

I have never had to sign for any phone and the FedEx and UPS drivers that deliver to my home

I guess it depends on the neighborhood and the driver, but technically the signature is required.

I guess it depends on the neighborhood and the driver, but technically the signature is required.

you could be right. It just seems odd since they enforce the requirement on everything else.

My UPS guy is Craig ... assuming it's not an overload day, where they put on more manpower.
Always good to be on a first name basis.

For UPS and FedEx, I print their tracking page, then write a note at the bottom.
That always works - it's got my signature, so they're covered.

Part of the season, there are large-leaf plants beside my front door.
Great place to hide a box.
In the rare times when we've had rain, I direct 'em to put the pkg in my large purple recycle bin.
Keeps it dry and out of sight.
Living in a decent neighborhood helps, too. :)

iphone4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)