Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Some observations after an evening of playing with iOS 5 on my iPad 2.

You must have iTunes 10.5 beta to use iOS 5. You can't update your device without it.

The AppStore now has a "Purchased" button between "Categories" and "Updates." Selecting this allows you to view the apps that you have purchased and determine which are on your device and which are stored in the cloud. This makes it easy to move things to and from the cloud.

A "Messages" app has been added for sending free text messages via wifi. I don't know if this can send to or receive from cell phones not on a wifi connection yet, but I'll be looking into that later.

The "Reminders" app is a nice To-Do list that can store locally or in the cloud. I've already found this app to be a nice addition.

A "Newsstand" app has been added to handle your periodical subscriptions. I haven't subscribed to any periodicals so I have no idea how well this works.

Multitasking Gestures are part of the upgrade and they work well.

Stroking down at the top of the screen displays your notifications. I don't get a lot of notifications unless there is a storm in my area so I won't know how well this works until it starts raining...

The iPod icon has been replaced with a Music icon.

Operation of the device is pretty much the same as it always was.

You can choose to do your backups to the cloud if you want. Doing this disables the backup to iTunes when you connect the device to your computer - syncing still occurs, but no backup. Backing up to the cloud only transfers your app data, not the apps themselves since they are already stored in the cloud servers.

If you connect the iPad to a power connector when the screen has blanked it will attempt to backup and sync the device via wifi or the cloud. I really like this feature.

The only problem that I've encountered so far is that one of the apps that I have in development won't restore. I suspect that I've lost a provisioning profile and will need to manually restore it. Otherwise, iOS 5 seems pretty solid after my brief time with it.

Thanks for the review. I think you meant itunes 10.3 beta and not 10.5 beta. :)

I read about the reminders app this morning in the Daily. I am looking forward to seeing how in integrates with the To Do app I use, which syncs via toodledo.

I do subscribe to several magazines (Time and Wired, because the iPad version is free with my print subscription; The Daily, the New Yorker, and Bloomberg Businessweek. It would be really nice not to have to constantly go to the app to check for new issues.

The link for iTunes 10.3 beta is finally up on the apple site, I downloaded it this morning. itunes is exactly the same, except there is just a buttom for Purchased in the Store section. I only wish it would let me restore tv/movies I have bought in the past, but the music backup of purchases is awesome!

Interesting, the iCloud aspect of the iPad iTunes app is active. I now have access on my iPad to every song I have ever bought on iTunes. Very cool. It happened automatically, maybe because my iPad is in developer mode? Anyone else have a purchased tab in iTunes?

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
What about those songs you ripped from a CD? I think I have only bought one album off of iTunes, every other song I have on iTunes comes from my own CDs

What about those songs you ripped from a CD? I think I have only bought one album off of iTunes, every other song I have on iTunes comes from my own CDs
If you subscribe the the $25 a year add on it will scan you computer for all the music and listen to all the music... if that song is available on iTunes you will automatically be given a 256kbs version of that song from itunes at no extra charge.

If you subscribe the the $25 a year add on it will scan you computer for all the music and listen to all the music... if that song is available on iTunes you will automatically be given a 256kbs version of that song from itunes at no extra charge.
That is stupid. I have to pay another $25 for music I already own so I can access it in iCloud even though it is already on the device to begin with? What's the point of that when you can simply sync for free?

I still don't see any useful purpose for iCloud in general anyway, unless I am missing something. Your iTunes library is already on your device and syncing, particularly with the new PC Free feature, is so much more efficient.

That is stupid. I have to pay another $25 for music I already own so I can access it in iCloud even though it is already on the device to begin with? What's the point of that when you can simply sync for free?
Its not stupid. You get higher quality music then most of the audio you have now... And CD's you ripped are now legal files downloaded from iTunes. I think its a bargain.

You don't have to pay anything and you get 5 GB storage for your files. (iTunes purchases do not count against your 5GB of space.)

Its not stupid. You get higher quality music then most of the audio you have now... And CD's you ripped are now legal files downloaded from iTunes. I think its a bargain.

You don't have to pay anything and you get 5 GB storage for your files. (iTunes purchases do not count against your 5GB of space.)

Agreed. The $25 is for uploading FILES you have NOT purchased from itunes. As Scott said, those are available automatically, and do not count against your space. I think the idea of iCloud is a good one, and look forward to being able to easily transfer files wirelessly from my iPad to my mac without having to go through a dropbox upload each time.

AND I love having access to everything I have ever bought from them in terms of music and apps; that is better than a CD backup.

Does anyone know how I register my UDID for my iPad?

I do have a iOS developer account... I just can't find where to add my UDID so that I can install the iOS5 beta.

Does anyone know how I register my UDID for my iPad?

I do have a iOS developer account... I just can't find where to add my UDID so that I can install the iOS5 beta.

I think you have to pay the $100 developer fee to download the iOS5 software. I have developer access to xCOde, but can't get the iOS5 update.

And CD's you ripped are now legal files downloaded from iTunes.
In other words, Apple sells you the warm and fuzzy feeling of being legal with all your Napster collection for $25/year.
While labels don't get a penny. I'd surprised if this goes down unchallenged...

Diogen.

I am still missing the whole point of this.

You already have it on your PC. It is already sync to your devices. You have it on CD as well. Every time you sync your device it automatically transfers your purchases between devices. I see no purpose is being able to access my music on an outside server. Most people already have the music on their device, why do they need to access the same music from iCloud?

My current ripped music are legal files saved on iTunes (they are CDs I have purchased over the last 20+ years), WMP, my PS3, my iPhone, my iPad, and 3 different computers. Syncing is very easy with homesharing.

In other words, Apple sells you the warm and fuzzy feeling of being legal with all your Napster collection for $25/year.
While labels don't get a penny. I'd surprised if this goes down unchallenged...
Thats why Apple worked with the labels to license all this stuff BEFORE they announced iCloud.

Take a look at all the signings last week for Apple.

Do you see any labels upset? They got a nice payday from Apple... they are happy.

Now I hear the labels are not happy with Google and Amazon who didnt give them a cent for their cloud services...

Which ones do you think they will go after?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts