Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Doing some quick math: WAV is about 10MB/min, mathematically lossless - half as much,
perceptually lossless - half of that half, i.e. 2.5MB/min. 256kbps AAC must be close, i.e. 2-2.5MB/min

5GB allows you to store 2000-2500 minutes of music. 50min/album makes that 40-50 albums.

In other words you pay $2/year/album "rent" fee...

Diogen.

Or ripped their own...

I have a lot of stuff I ripped myself which was ripped at 96k or less because when I ripped them (back in the 90's) the quality wasnt there.
OK. I have CDs that are over 20 years old as well. Are there not other ways to convert to higher quality for free?

Doing some quick math: WAV is about 10MB/min, mathematically lossless - half as much,
perceptually lossless - half of that half, i.e. 2.5MB/min. 256kbps AAC must be close, i.e. 2-2.5MB/min

5GB allows you to store 2000-2500 minutes of music. 50min/album makes that 40-50 albums.

Diogen.
That is about 1/4 of my album collection

Diogen.

Wrong Again...

The only music that counts against your 5GB is music which iTunes does not have in its library. For most people 90% of their music is available from the iTunes library so what they upload will be very small compaired to their entire libaray.

Sure there is, go and get all the CD's and re rip them again to a higher bitrate.

For me $25 for them to do it for me is well worth it. :)
Just checking, that is how I ripped them to begin with. So the $25 feature will not benefit me. But, that is just me

I still don't see this as a whole being that big of a deal. Most people using these devices download from iTunes instead of ripping to begin with. Plus, the songs in the cloud are already on the devices for most. I guess it is a cool extra little feature, but I still don't see it as that big of a deal or all that useful.

Now, the PC Free sync feature, that is cool.

Last edited:
...I am willing to bet that most of the music teens listen to are available in the itunes store.
I wish I was a teen... And for reasons other than having all my music in the cloud...

I can't find confirmation that 5GB is actually the music storage limit (iTunes or non-iTunes).
There is a 5GB limit on Mail, Docs and Backup (non-purchased items), but nothing about tunes...

Diogen.

I thought of something useful for those whom ripped from a CD. Having offsite storage may come in handy if all of the devices you had your music on were somehow damaged, destroyed, lost, or stolen. When you get another device, then you can resync it with iCloud

Last edited:
I wish I was a teen... And for reasons other than having all my music in the cloud...

I can't find confirmation that 5GB is actually the music storage limit (iTunes or non-iTunes).
There is a 5GB limit on Mail, Docs and Backup (non-purchased items), but nothing about tunes...

Diogen.
Check out near the end of the video.

Apple's Epic 117-Minute Keynote in Just 8 Minutes

The real purpose behind icloud is that you no longer need to own a PC to have an iPad/iPod/iPhone.

Your device can get everything backed up to the cloud, and when you get a new one, it can be synced completely with all your stuff and you do not have to ever plug it back into a PC.

This will make iPads an even greater killer of the PC. You are no longer required to have at least one pc to sync to.

How many people will now just go with the iPad and not even own a PC?

You still do need a PC if you have some or most of your music on CD. The only way to get the music from you CD to iCloud is via a PC.

For those that want to sync only iTunes purchased songs, you do not need iCloud to do that either. The songs are in your iTunes account are able to be downloaded directly to your device from the iTunes store.

The only useful purpose I can see with this is to use it like a music version of Carbonite.

Sort of ironic that something that is supposed to help kill the PC is dependent upon the PC for its most useful purpose and to use it for features in which a PC is not required, the iCloud itself not required

Last edited:
For my own usefulness, I still prefer to buy and rip a CD than purchase from iTunes. Ripped CDs are able to be edited, such as combining tracks; while iTunes purchased music cannot do this. This is beneficial when you have albums that have songs broken into stances, parts, sections, or combinations that are supposed to be played together as one long song (Think Pink Floyd, Classical Music, and Beatles).

iTunes treats each section as a separate song. When you go to shuffle the songs, you often hear just one part of the whole song. Chicago's, "Ballet for a Girl in Buchannon", Rush's, "2112", many Classical compositions, or the Beatle's medially of, "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", and "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" are all supposed to be played together as one long song. iTunes separates these into individual songs and does not let you combine them unless you do so on a CD before you rip it and save it in iTunes.

I can surely see why ripping them like that is a good idea. A l ot of Pink Floyd songs stretch between tracks and having a 2 second gap between songs which are made to be played together is annoying. :)

I'll have to see how this will benefit me. Most of my iPhone MP3's are podcasts (14MB per file representing about 43 minutes of audio) mostly from subscriptions to Coast to Coast AM. I have some 8GB of that and not all of it is kept on my iPhone right now, just the many I haven't listened to yet.

I have a certain amount of music though, 75% of it was ripped from my CD collection. Of the rest, most were purchased through Amazon MP3 to fill out single songs here and there. Only a very few songs were purchased through iTunes store and it's only because Amazon didn't have them.

I don't pretend that I'm typical. But it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys App

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)