Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Which is why I do not really see iCloud being all the useful for most. I guess it is a cool little backup device.

Free backups for all the songs that are purchased from iTunes is pretty cool to me. This is huge for everybody that has ever purchased something from iTunes IMO.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Free backups for all the songs that are purchased from iTunes is pretty cool to me. This is huge for everybody that has ever purchased something from iTunes IMO.
Aren't your purchases already backed up in the iTunes store anyway? I know I can log in and see everything I purchased in the past and reload it if I need to

Here are the purchases from iTunes for both my wife and my account. Notice, I only bought two albums and my wife only bought two albums? All of our other songs were downloaded via CD. Both of use bought some books. If I deleted any of these I just redownload it

Attachments

• iTunes Purchases.png
    iTunes Purchases.png
    108.5 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
Aren't your purchases already backed up in the iTunes store anyway? I know I can log in and see everything I purchased in the past and reload it if I need to

When you reinstall iTunes on a new PC those will be gone from your Purchased section. Mine only shows 19 of the 100's of items that I have purchased.

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
DodgerKing said:

Here are the purchases from iTunes for both my wife and my account. Notice, I only bought two albums and my wife only bought two albums? All of our other songs were downloaded via CD. Both of use bought some books. If I deleted any of these I just redownload it

No, songs are not like Apps in iTunes (or at least up until now they haven't been). If something happens and you lose a song (device or computer hard drive failure) you have to purchase any songs again from iTunes, you cannot just simply re-download them.

This happened to me once, I called in to Apple thinking I was doing something wrong. The representative was very helpful in explaining that it was indeed like that and then proceeded to give me a one time credit so that I could repurchase the lost song for free.

So iCloud is a huge improvement as far as that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

JAG72

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 16, 2006
Earth
No, songs are not like Apps in iTunes (or at least up until now they haven't been). If something happens and you lose a song (device or computer hard drive failure) you have to purchase any songs again from iTunes, you cannot just simply re-download them.

This happened to me once, I called in to Apple thinking I was doing something wrong. The representative was very helpful in explaining that it was indeed like that and then proceeded to give me a one time credit so that I could repurchase the lost song for free.

This is the way I thought it was but have been lucky enough not to have lost anything yet. I agree that this is a huge addition.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal

Ahhh... OK.. I thought you can just download them again. So then I guess iCloud is a nice backup application to have. I guess I was wrong in my previous assumptions about iCloud.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
This is the way I thought it was but have been lucky enough not to have lost anything yet. I agree that this is a huge addition.
I too would now have to agree with you as well. Backing up hundreds to even thousands of dollars worth of music on an offsite server for free is more than worth it.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
JAG72 said:

Agreed, and I am using it right now. It comes free with five gb of storage for anything, can sync mail, contacts, photos, it is very different from dropbox or google/amazon's cloud. Not sure why the hate for something that is not even out, and I suspect there will be plenty of uses identified as the time for its general release nears.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

meStevo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 20, 2004
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
I don't like the idea of a backup service for stuff that they should just record you own and be able to just reauthorize. Why are apps and music different... Guessing it has to do with the RIAA?

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
The reality is until today, anything I bought but had not backed up or lost was gone forever. This is a huge step.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
meStevo said:
I don't like the idea of a backup service for stuff that they should just record you own and be able to just reauthorize. Why are apps and music different... Guessing it has to do with the RIAA?

Yes, the previous deals with the record labels was that a purchase entitled buyers to the single download and that any additional downloads would have to be paid for again. That's why last week's deals with the labels were key in getting this done.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Yes, the previous deals with the record labels was that a purchase entitled buyers to the single download and that any additional downloads would have to be paid for again. That's why last week's deals with the labels were key in getting this done.

I don't understand why that is. When you buy a CD it is yours forever. The same should be true with downloaded material

dangue

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 29, 2007
SF Bay Area
JAG72 said:
Break the CD and it is just as worthless as a lost download.

That and the labels fighting for every possible dollar while acknowledging that this is the way of the future as little as possible.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
Break the CD and it is just as worthless as a lost download.
True. But how often has that happened? I have hundreds of CDs, many over 20 years, and have never broke one. All of them are still very much playable. Hard Drive crashing is many many times more likely.

In any event, that is why I backup my downloads and CDs on multiple devices.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I am now running iOS5 on my iPad. Had a few scary moments, since I did not have the developer version of iTunes installed, but it is running very well, and there are several things I like:

The notifications are great. They pop up at the top of the screen, but are unobtrusive. Unlike Android, where they are always present, these just are hidden until you pull down from the top of the screen, and new notifications stay at the top instead of those stupid pop-ups.

Safari is way improved. The tabbed browsing is SO much nicer than Safari on 4.3.3 .

The newstand has potential once the magazines I subscribe to are compliant wth it. For now, I moved the app to a secondary screen. I have to test out the message system with other folks on iOS5, but it looks interesting.

All the gestures I have been using since I tweaked my iPad are now native.

Reminders looks like a basic to-do list, not necessarily better than toodledo and 2Do, which I currently use.

The iPod app is now "music" with a different icon. You can now tweet directly from safari, which is interesting. AND it seems as if it gets slightly better battery life. I stayed at 100% for considerably longer than I did with 2.4.3, but that could just be my brain playing games.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Yeah, I said the iPod app had a different image. I preferred the original one.

My biggest annoyance with the iPad is the obnoxious amount of time it takes to backup. A good 30 minutes each time. I know you can cancel it, but it definitely is NOT magical. And no reason for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)