Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

in a messenger app like kik, why is it when i try to upload a pic i get a message that i have no photos? "No Photos. You can sync photos and videos onto your iPad using iTunes." also is there a way to erase specific pictures? can't do it through ipad itself and don't see a way of doing this through iTunes either.

When you are in the Photos app I believe tapping on the trashcan deletes the photo.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App
Yeah I'm able to do that with the photos saved from a website.but the ones added via iTunes doesn't allow me to delete. Maybe I'll find a Cydia tweak that adds this simple function.thanks for the reply Isaac

I haven't seen this talked about yet. With iOS5, it appears Stanza, the excellent ebook reader software, is toast. Or at least for many, and no fix probably since Amazon bought out Lexcycle (the producers) and the developer moved on.

A small glitch in iOS5. Magazines now get changing icons, but ey are supposed to live inside the news rack. Notice the icon for wired in the attached screenshot. Specifically it's size. I figure n update will come out soon and "move" it to the news stand, but it's kind of funky now, being so large.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Attachments

• image-231127733.png
    image-231127733.png
    663.7 KB · Views: 101
A small glitch in iOS5. Magazines now get changing icons, but ey are supposed to live inside the news rack. Notice the icon for wired in the attached screenshot. Specifically it's size. I figure n update will come out soon and "move" it to the news stand, but it's kind of funky now, being so large.

That glitch disappeared when I rebooted the iPad (the first time since the update), and the icon went where it belongs in the news rack.

I don't see your Newsrack, rocky. Did you make it go away using your disappearing Newsrack trick?

Foxbat said:
I don't see your Newsrack, rocky. Did you make it go away using your disappearing Newsrack trick?

That image was on a different page than the news rack. :).

Wired is now safely ensconced in the news rack. :D

Any recommended completely free magazines for the rack for reading on an iPhone.

I subscribe to the dead tree version of Aviation Week, but I think the e version is Zinio.

Please bear with me, I have read the last few pages of this thread and have come to realize I know a whole lot less about iPads than I thought I did.

A couple of nights ago, my wife and I went to an Apple Store to see the iPad 2. She is a librarian, and each library around here is about to be issued an iPad for the "roaming" librarian (when they actually can let someone roam to help - budget cuts have gone too far). This roamer will use the iPad to access the online card catalog and databases to help answer customer's (patrons?) questions. And she sees so many people using them in the library, she's become intrigued. If she gets one, her library can actually have two iPads for the purpose. And she thinks (& I agree) it will be easier to use a mapping function on an iPad while on the road, than with a laptop. We have a GPS but the small screen is quite limiting when trying to see the route as a whole. So that means any iPad bought will have to have 3G. <$igh>

Frankly, I was underwhelmed. It's just a big iPhone. Granted, much better for reading books, etc, but I still prefer to actually have the book or mag in my hands. I've read little in the way of books or periodicals on my PC and laptops and very little on the iPhone. It really seems to just offer a bigger screen, and perhaps apps that need the bigger screen and aren't available on the iPhone. We're told we cannot put our DVDs on it, but we're not that big into movies or music on the road. I see it great for accessing our Sling Adapter for the shows we like to see from the DVR, but the place we're most likely to do that has a slow 3G connection.

Am I missing something?

And BTW the Apple employee said we could prepay for some 3G time/data for a month, but had to use or lose it all by the end of the month. Then we could go months without data, then buy again. Correct? How does that work?

And he said if we logged in to the same Apple account, we could have the same apps on both my iPhone and her iPad. Even paid ones? Surely they can see two different devices- they won't ask for payment for the second device?

It looks like if I can be talked into it, next March or so I'll likely be one of those nuts pre-ordering an iPad Next, and parting with way too much money.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

There is far more functionality on iPad apps vs iPhone apps, much to do with the screen difference; it provides the opportunity for interactive applications at a level tha the iPhone can't do. It is a media player, is IS a consumption device; I consume a lot of books in the Kindle app, but also in dedicated apps like magazines, newspapers. So yeah, reading is a big part. BUT I can go away for a couple of days sans laptop and function quite well with the iPad; I would never even contemplate that with just a smartphone.

I have no idea about the 3G stuff as I have a wifi only device, and don't have a lot of time to think about these issues right now, but my iPad review from April still captures a lot of my views on the device -- although today I have learned to use it IN the classroom as my primary notebook. And next spring will be doing a pilot project controlling a desktop from it.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/compute.../253092-rockys-ipad-vs-galaxy-tab-review.html

A revised review is probably in order, but I'd still say this is the best single device I have ever owned. Period. And if the iPad 3 provides a retina display to it, wow. Just wow.

It really seems to just offer a bigger screen, and perhaps apps that need the bigger screen and aren't available on the iPhone.
That's right, but that screen size makes a huge difference when you want to read or watch something.

We're told we cannot put our DVDs on it, but we're not that big into movies or music on the road.

I think you can. I'll let someone else give you the details.

And BTW the Apple employee said we could prepay for some 3G time/data for a month, but had to use or lose it all by the end of the month. Then we could go months without data, then buy again. Correct?

Yes. Basically a prepaid monthly plan. And you can order it directly from the iPad itself, next time you need it.

And he said if we logged in to the same Apple account, we could have the same apps on both my iPhone and her iPad. Even paid ones?

Correct. It works! Even apps like TomTom can be shared!

Any recommended completely free magazines for the rack for reading on an iPhone.

I subscribe to the dead tree version of Aviation Week, but I think the e version is Zinio.

Alas, all of the magazines I read on the iPad are paid. Some have their own apps (Time, Wired, National Geographic, Reader's Digest, New Yorker, Bloomberg) some are in Zinio (i.e. I subscribe to Macworld via it as well as ... snicker... Maxim).

I've never done it, but you can load DVDs onto your iPad. You just need to rip them into an iTunes compatible format. There's plenty of software that does this available. A google search will point you in the right direction to get started.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)