Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Yeah, definitely cheaper but for travel, where EVERY ounce in my carry-on counts, I am thinking the plugbug has potential.

Absolutely, I got to speak at a conference in Brooklyn 2 weeks ago (2nd trip to NY, was awesome) and in my room I shared with a coworker we had something charging at every 5 different plugs because there was something else already plugged into each one (lamps, TV, etc). Thought for sure I'd left my iPad cord in the room because I had to plug it in at a strange spot, but found it in my bag later.

Most of us here at work were considering it for just normal use at home and work, doesn't make as much sense.

I'd love to put something like this in a handful of the sockets in my house. http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/06/23/charges.usb.powered.devices.without.an.adapter/

If I ever went that route, I'm much more likely to just go with that product in my last post though.

It can also be a stand-along iPad/phone 10w charger. And according to their website provides a fast iPad charge. I think I am going to buy one; I have a five day trip to DC coming up, and this could be valuable.

(And the hotel room with too few electric outlets is ALWAYS a problem - particularly on our family trips, between three smart phones, mbp, 2 ipads, and the kid's ipod touch, we are always short of space. )

Well, it's definite now. We'll be waiting until March or April (or whenever) and getting the iPadnext, assuming we both keep our jobs. The bloom fell off the rose as she thought over the idea, and realized most of what she wanted was doable with my iPhone 3GS. And she figures she can learn about the iPad with the one her library will be issued, and then decide what strengths and weaknesses are noticeable to her.

One bright spot: I have a Magellan 4350 GPS that is getting flakey. The Magellan 9165 I bought to replace it had to be returned (poor directions, etc). Now I figure if I can nurse along the 4350 until the iPadnext is bought, we can just use the iPadnext for vehicle GPS, and save on buying another gadget. Considering I put out $320 for the GPS I returned, this is significant.

Yeah quick charge would be nice... iPad has to be my slowest charging mobile device. Lasts the longest by days though too.

I ordered it. Hopefully it will arrive next week, before I go to DC. I am curious how quickly it will charge the iPad.

I usually just plug it in at night, and then start the day fresh. :)

navychop said:
Well, it's definite now. We'll be waiting until March or April (or whenever) and getting the iPadnext, assuming we both keep our jobs. The bloom fell off the rose as she thought over the idea, and realized most of what she wanted was doable with my iPhone 3GS. And she figures she can learn about the iPad with the one her library will be issued, and then decide what strengths and weaknesses are noticeable to her.

One bright spot: I have a Magellan 4350 GPS that is getting flakey. The Magellan 9165 I bought to replace it had to be returned (poor directions, etc). Now I figure if I can nurse along the 4350 until the iPadnext is bought, we can just use the iPadnext for vehicle GPS, and save on buying another gadget. Considering I put out $320 for the GPS I returned, this is significant.

Why not just use the aforementioned 3GS for navigation? I have the navigon app on my iPhone (since the 3G iPhone) and it works great.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I ordered it. Hopefully it will arrive next week, before I go to DC. I am curious how quickly it will charge the iPad.

I usually just plug it in at night, and then start the day fresh. :)

Be careful. Lot's of people in the DC area would just love to "acquire" your iPad. Like me, for instance. ;)

Why not just use the aforementioned 3GS for navigation? I have the navigon app on my iPhone (since the 3G iPhone) and it works great.

Decided it was just too small, but also because my wife tends to use the iPhone a lot while we are driving. We have more Panera Breads in the GPS address book.....

We love using the iPhone to look up questions that come up, and research areas we pass. And we just might start using it for music, as we rethink Sirius, and as Sirius phases out support for our radio. Might as well be ahead of THAT curve.

But you're right, we like the app and do sometimes use it, esp when in a vehicle that we did not carry the GPS to.

Annoying. The nib on my Wacom Bamboo Stylus broke. Apparently I have worn it out - and only in 3 months. Not impressed by that. They finally sell replacement ones, 3 for $5, and of course they charge $5 to ship the damn thing. So back to the Targus until the parts arrive. Amazon does not have the part in stock (and its only from a third party) until the 15th. For $30, this product should ship with 3 replacement nibs.

Hey, I have a work-related question for iPad owners/users: Do you use a Remote Desktop client app? It looks like there a number of different clients with varying levels of support. I need to support Windows servers at work and the choices are pretty pricey. It is not condusive to sampling and the vendors rarely have Free versions to try.

Hey, I have a work-related question for iPad owners/users: Do you use a Remote Desktop client app? It looks like there a number of different clients with varying levels of support. I need to support Windows servers at work and the choices are pretty pricey. It is not condusive to sampling and the vendors rarely have Free versions to try.

I've been using Splashtop. It works great for controlling my radio station's Broadcast PC. If the PC [or server in your case] doesn't have a static IP address there is Google account integration built in.

You just need to download Streamer onto every PC you want to access: Download page for FREE Splashtop Streamer for Windows or Mac
The iPad app is on sale for $2.99: Splashtop Remote Desktop for iPad for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Foxbat said:
Hey, I have a work-related question for iPad owners/users: Do you use a Remote Desktop client app
I use LogMeIn. Works pretty well for business purposes. No need to mess with the router/firewall settings or to have a static IP address (or even to know the IP address).

I would love to have an Ipad, but one thing I found I am not liking, is that Apple made it just like the Iphone in the respect you can't use flash on web pages. I thought they would of made it more like their normal safari browser like in the normal apple computers. I do like that they new software makes it close to the apple tv. Much fun can be had with it now.

warhascome said:
I would love to have an Ipad, but one thing I found I am not liking, is that Apple made it just like the Iphone in the respect you can't use flash on web pages.
I honestly don't remember a single time when I would miss or even notice the absence of Flash support on iPhone or iPad. I don't understand why is it such a big deal for others. Am I missing some flashy ads? :)

Also iOS has changed the way you use the Internet: you now mostly use apps, not so much the browser. There are apps for almost anything. The browser becomes less and less important.

iOS might look the same on an iPhone and an iPad, but the apps are so much better developed on the much larger canvas - and if you have both, there is a certain synergy which comes from the common design. Its classic Jobs simplicity. and it works.

iOS might look the same on an iPhone and an iPad, but the apps are so much better developed on the much larger canvas - and if you have both, there is a certain synergy which comes from the common design. Its classic Jobs simplicity. and it works.

And I agree about Flash. Maybe a handful of times it has caused an issue. Its really a non-issue for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)