Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

Thanks to all.

I got off my hind quarters and read the review. Quite extensive, thank you.

I'm hoping the "3" or whatever the next one is called, to have retina/HD display, direct standard HDMI out, SDHC and USB (preferably USB 3) ports. Don't want NFC and I don't think I'll see much 4G over the next 2 or 3 years to worry over. That'll make it easier to swallow the costs and get it for her. But I guess, iPad 3 wants is a different thread.... ;)

I've never done it, but you can load DVDs onto your iPad. You just need to rip them into an iTunes compatible format. There's plenty of software that does this available. A google search will point you in the right direction to get started.

Interesting. Maybe not approved of by Apple, since the Apple Droid at the store said no. Hmmmm- Now with Android out, "Apple Droid" and "Sales Droid" don't seem to sound quite the same anymore.

Thanks to all.

I got off my hind quarters and read the review. Quite extensive, thank you.

I'm hoping the "3" or whatever the next one is called, to have retina/HD display, direct standard HDMI out, SDHC and USB (preferably USB 3) ports. Don't want NFC and I don't think I'll see much 4G over the next 2 or 3 years to worry over. That'll make it easier to swallow the costs and get it for her. But I guess, iPad 3 wants is a different thread.... ;)

HDMI out exists through an adapter, which you can get now for the iPad 1 and 2. You are not going to see SDHC or USB. I'd go to Vegas with that bet. No idea about 4G. Maybe.

I hate ripping video, I never use the right program and have audio sync problems, and then to fix that you have to use 5 other programs, feels like a rabbit hole of fail.

I agree 100%. Ripping video is always a pain. If I want video on my iPad, I buy it from itunes, eliminates all that hassle.

I agree 100%. Ripping video is always a pain. If I want video on my iPad, I buy it from itunes, eliminates all that hassle.

It sucks too, because I once had grand dreams of starting a media server, ripping all of our episodes of West Wing and other shows that aren't available on Netflix and streaming them to anyplace in the house... still determined to do that one day but it's more likely that by then a service will have damn near everything older like that and make it available at a reasonable price. Full seasons of West Wing are still $2.99 x 22 episodes for a ridiculous $60+ per season, of which there are 7.

navychop said:
And BTW the Apple employee said we could prepay for some 3G time/data for a month, but had to use or lose it all by the end of the month. Then we could go months without data, then buy again. Correct? How does that work?

The Best Buy salesman that sold me my iPad said when I buy a data plan, that it will last until the purchased data runs out. So I was thinking at the rate I need 3G that 2g of data would last me for several months. I knew at the time that I've never heard that before, but who was I to argue with a Best Buy "expert". It was my first iPad. He may not know what he's talking about, but he's a good salesman. I went into the store planning to buy wifi only and that "lie" changed my mind into buying a 3G model. I would have taken it back but it was a month later before I realized he was wrong and I purchased a data plan.

The iPad was one of the best purchases I've ever made, seriously. I love that thing!

AND I would argue - after just a short time using it -- that the iPhone is the perfect complement to it, and a close second. Same ease of use; same high quality apps, and .. wait for it... smooth as butter. ;)

Ilya said:
Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit $29.00

It offers both SDHC and USB, so you could transfer photos from your camera directly to your iPad.
According to some reviews, the USB port supports not just cameras, but also USB headphones, USB headsets and USB keyboards.

I own that and it is a very limited usage device. Not how I interpreted his use of USB. The sdhc is solely to transfer photos to camera roll. Not data or docs, just photos.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Can you transfer video via that SDHC dongle, video from a HD camcorder - and PLAY it?

If you get an Apple TV connected to your HDTV, you get the ability to output HD movies from your A5 iOS 5 device wirelessly, as well as mirroring the display on the ATV. The HDMI dongle Apple sells allows you to output HDMI to your HDTV and charge your device at the same time. That works with my iPhone 4, too.

Of course, if you have an Apple TV, the ability to stream content from your iPad or iPhone is diminished by the fact that you probably have the same content in iTunes on your computer and the Apple TV will play directly from that source.

I bought the HDMI dongle so I can play movies while traveling away from my ATV. Most hotels have updated to HDTVs that have open HDMI ports.