Apple IPAD Owner's Thread

pajer- I looked that over from your reference but technically, it offers no more security than the freebie digiblur and I use, WEP 128 bit. For the price, they offer a different skin and some additional connectivity for tethering.

Others should check it out if they don't already have PDANet for their WM phone. For the ipad, the free ap works very well.

mestevo- If things go as planned we're going to be doing some traveling in 2 weeks. Now with having this wifi connection, I plan to make the trip without my laptop, just the ipad and my TP2 phone. I'm looking forward to the experiment.
I was concerned at being able to do some websites but I have tested all of them on the ipad I need to do and none use Flash, just java scripts. The most robust one was TD Ameritrade and it works great on the ipad. The other web application I had some trouble with was my security cameras. Turns out I was able to fix the issue with that by simply upgrading the firmware to use the new site that no longer requires Flash. So that leaves my former client's web design service. The guy was very insistent about the need to use Flash video but from what I understand they are having trouble with many non tech prospects due to having to add the Flash Plugin. Since this is advertising, using a format that people have to load something became an issue few tech people will understand. They are switching back to what I used now which is wmv video. Flash is great and I have it on my TP2 if necessary, but really, I'm surprised how little I suffer not having it on the ipad. YMMV, obviously.

One thing I would be interested in hearing from people who are using the ipad to do virtual desktop. I canceled my account with citrix so I can't test gotomypc but there are other free ways to do this but I will need to upgrade my PC to XP Professional. I plan to do that, which will allow me to do far more robust work whether traveling or at home from the ipad.

digiblur- I use a WRT 54G with 7 db antennas. The ipad's range with it is about 40 ft through walls inside the house. I've added a repeater with another 7 db antenna at 40 ft and now I can get good full signal into the back yard out to about 35 ft from the repeater using one antenna. There is a 3rd party software you can install on the Linksys that boosts the wifi transmitter power from the factory 23 mw, to about 100 mw. I have not used this as the 7 db antennas seem to be just barely adequate.

MusicReader for the iPad became available today. It is a free app on the iPad, but requires that you have the Mac or PC version of the program to convert and bring into the iPad the sheet music you want. The Mac or PC version is not free, but well worth the price.

MusicReader for iPad is available on the App store with iTunes.

MusicReader for the Mac or PC is available at MusicReader - digital music stand software - display sheet music on Tablet PCs, laptops or desktops - electronic music stand

I have the iPad version on my iPad and it is very readable for use as a sheet music display device. That rather surprised me as I had tried the PC version on my netbook and wasn't impressed. The iPad version allows for annotation as well as full and half page turns.

This short lived ban had little to no affect on the sales of the ipad, nor sales of the stock in Apple.

I have gotten very good battery life from the ipad, typically running at about 10% reduction per hour of use at 50% brightness and about 23% reduction per hour at 100% brightness. The auto screen brightness doesn't seem to work. Must be a bug in the OS.

I have added two basically free additions to the ipad that has litterally made the device far more versatile.

1. I added a wifi router ap to my htcTP2 that allows me to connect to my phone for internet service while away from traditional public wifi hotspot. Eliminates the need for the 3G ipad model. Scott has done this with his iphone but that required jailbreaking. I do it with the win Mobile phone which is legal.

2. I added remote desktop service and now can easily access my win xp desktop from anywhere. The ability to have windows aps running from remote with the ipad has greatly increased my use of the ipad around the house, and I'm sure will be great while traveling.

Basically, the more I use it the more uses I find for it. It has greatly exceeded all my value expectations.

The classification of all Flash as buggy and bloated kinda removes credibility from the rest of your arguments.

Flash isn't going anywhere and Apple will be forced to 2nd guess this stance when Flash/Air based apps start dominating other mobile platforms.

I don't think the lack of Flash on the iPad will be an issue for enough people that Apple will care. And unless they get Flash working better on the upcoming touchpad computers than it is now, it won't be an issue for anyone except for the websites that use it, IF they want to attract this rapidly expanding market. Good, bad or indifferent, whether Flash is buggy and bloated isn't really going to make a bit of difference, imo.

What will make a huge difference for the upcoming touchpads is whether software will be centrally located and simple to get. If it isn't, they'll be just like all the iPod killers - meaning NOT killers. Frankly the ecosystem around the iPad has more value to the success than the iPad itself does.

That's good and bad though, for Apple. If you sour of the ecosystem, you stop using all of their products, not just one. If you are an Apple enthusiast, bathe in the Kool-aid, etc, or just don't know any better, then the ecosystem is why you keep giving them money.

At my office there is talk that they want us to disable Flash on all desktops for security reasons. Its not just Apple that thinks flash is bad.

Outside of the geek world that I used to be a part of, the Apple ecosystem is hitting on all cylinders these days. And the buying public seems to think so too. Even in these bad economic times, Apple just seems to sell more and actually make what used to be considered good profits which the other computer hardware mfgs would kill for these days.

And it isn't about the kool-aid, it is about the right product at the right time with excellent support. Apple is doing all of that these days, especially in the consumer gadget market.

While you and many geeks find the iPad missing many key parts, your aunt Tilly and the other consumers, don't. :) Just look at the projections that outside analysts are doing for the iPad, even if they are off by significant percentages, it will still be a huge seller and very popular.

Got to use an ipad finally today at an Apple Store (first time I've been in one actually) and half the sites I went to didn't work right because of lack of Flash support... NFL.com, Justin.TV, my old wow guild's website (flash menu).

Impressed with speed, but not much else, especially Apple's vision of a flash-less internet. I've run into a lot of people at this conference im at that have ipads with them and no laptops... the ipad makes a really good hard surface for the pad and pen they had to use to take notes with, I'll have to ask one of them if I can take a picture of that tomorrow if I see someone doing that, was kinda funny.

NFL.com is going to stop using flash by July 1st.

Finally got my iPad on Friday direct from the factory, so it took 12 days total. So far I love it, the only problem is I didn't get the case to go with it and now that's sold out everywhere and the Apple site is saying shipping in 3-4 weeks. Wow, I guess they didn't plan on the demand for the cases. Ended up buying a cheap sleeve to get me by until then.

Anyone else getting the 3G Ipad on Friday? They hit my bank account last week for the funds and I got my shipping confirmation today! I ordered just after receiving my Wifi one on launch day.

I was going to get a 3G iPad, but decided against it...

My Sprint Data contract is up on May 1st, so will be reupping with a Sprint Overdrive unit. So now I have 3G/4G whereever I go and I dont need to pay more to AT&T.

95% of the time my iPad is where I have access to wifi... and the other times now I have the Overdrive, so its a win win all around.

My Sprint Data contract is up on May 1st, so will be reupping with a Sprint Overdrive unit. So now I have 3G/4G whereever I go and I dont need to pay more to AT&T.

I just took back the Sprint overdrive unit I bought for the iPad wifi version. It was horribly unreliable in the Atlanta market. In Las Vegas it was Ok - 4G all the time, but speed was 500-700K - worse than my AT&T 3G connection. In Atlanta, 4G very rarely (especially when driving) and the switchover between 3G/4G would sometimes hose the unit, powerdown required or worse pull the battery. My spoiled 7yo son would be frustrated that his show would be interrupted in the car! I tried 2 units to make sure the first wasn't a bum unit, but I guess the service here in North Atlanta/Marietta/Woodstock GA is just not up to snuff for Sprint. I loved the idea of it but just not ready for primetime in the ATL market.

Thus why I got the 3G version... :)

My boss let me borrow his overdrive over the weekend, and I made a trip with it using the carputer in the truck and the Slingbox video never broke up for the entire ride, so I was happy with that. Currently I have a 595U USB Data card which works ok, but it does not transmit WIFI like the overdrive does.

I did notice the battery issues on the overdrive, the 36 hour standby time is non existant.

Finally got my iPad on Friday direct from the factory, so it took 12 days total. So far I love it, the only problem is I didn't get the case to go with it and now that's sold out everywhere and the Apple site is saying shipping in 3-4 weeks. Wow, I guess they didn't plan on the demand for the cases. Ended up buying a cheap sleeve to get me by until then.

I got the second to last one on opening day at the store. They said they got 30 Apple cases in and 140 ipads. By Monday night they were sold out of everything. I like the case with mine because it not just protects the screen but doubles as a stand.

Scott- since getting both remote desktop and the wifirouter on my htcTP2 working, I'm really pleased I did not order the 3G. Good luck with the Sprint 4G. Like others, I've heard mixed reviews on it too. I guess it depends on where you are.

I did notice the battery issues on the overdrive, the 36 hour standby time is non existant.

Yep, my standby was less than 24 hours, and with it on and with minimal use it wouldn't last more than a couple of hours. I don't necessarily blame the hardware for my issues. There were 3 other people ahead of me in the "return" line complaining about the coverage, slow speed, and unreliable 4G so I didn't feel so bad.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)