Apple planning on developing it's own 5G modems

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Most have heard that Apple will soon be including 5G in it's new iphones. This was supposed to be a collaborative effort with Qualcomm but since that relationship has soured, it has been leaked that Apple is working now with Intel to be the supplier of the 5G chips for iphone and a line of Apple 5G modems.

The source for this came from Fast Company who also claims that not only Apple is in dispute with Qualcomm for royalty payments but also another company (unnamed). Intel says it's future is in 5G and is looking to work with Apple as iphones add 5G capability.

Apple's 5G iphone is not expected to hit until 2019.

The demise of CDMA:

Verizon has said it plans to end requirement that new devices connect to older CDMA networks starting in late 2018 or early 2019. Sprint, US Cellular, and a few overseas operators say it will still support CDMA. With the end of CDMA, Apple will no longer need Qualcomm who is the supplier of CDMA technology. 5G will be using the GSM technology that is used by T-Mobile and AT&T.

The demise of CDMA:

Verizon has said it plans to end requirement that new devices connect to older CDMA networks starting in late 2018 or early 2019. Sprint, US Cellular, and a few overseas operators say it will still support CDMA. With the end of CDMA, Apple will no longer need Qualcomm who is the supplier of CDMA technology. 5G will be using the GSM technology that is used by T-Mobile and AT&T.
Actually CDMA disappeared with 4g..both Verizon and AT&T use LTE..there are no plans to use antiquated GSM for 5g by any carrier..5g is still being tested and developed

Apple 5G modem. Will this be as rousing of a success as their Routers?

apple will have thier 5g standard

everyone else will have thiers

that is afterall how apple works

Actually CDMA disappeared with 4g..both Verizon and AT&T use LTE..there are no plans to use antiquated GSM for 5g by any carrier..5g is still being tested and developed

Yeah I meant LTE but FYI CDMA has not yet disappeared. Verizon and Sprint still use it with LTE SIm based phones.

Intel has it's own line of modems and will be selling their new 5G routers. But Apple plans to use the intel chips in their Apple branded modems. This is leaked info and not official from either company, although Intel did say they "hoped to be the key supplier one day to Apple" Everyone knows that a sure way to not get the business from Apple as a supplier is to brag about being an Apple supplier.

Apple 5G modem. Will this be as rousing of a success as their Routers?
Apple's AirPort devices were expensive, but worth it, back when they first came out. When the iPhone started to make money and Apple Computer became Apple, that was the end of the focus on Home Networking devices. I'm still using a Time Capsule I got five years ago, but its last firmware update was earlier this year.

Kinda reminds me of the new DirecTV ads with the masochists (some people like paper cuts, etc.) Eventually I'll get a new Wireless access point, but as long as I have AT&T U-Verse Internet using my own router is not an option.

Yeah I meant LTE but FYI CDMA has not yet disappeared. Verizon and Sprint still use it with LTE SIm based phones.

Intel has it's own line of modems and will be selling their new 5G routers. But Apple plans to use the intel chips in their Apple branded modems. This is leaked info and not official from either company, although Intel did say they "hoped to be the key supplier one day to Apple" Everyone knows that a sure way to not get the business from Apple as a supplier is to brag about being an Apple supplier.
It's used for 3g phones..it will exist until 3g dies..not everywhere has 4 g yet...
Verizon to shut down 2G CDMA 1X network by the end of 2019 | FierceWireless

I have an Apple AirPort. I call it “the brick”.....
My old AirPort Extreme is for my IoT devices while my Time Capsule handles the 2.4 & 5 GHz WiFi duties.
AirPorts.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)