Apple Press Conference Thoughts

Well...

I didn't want an iPhone6S Plus... but one has been ordered for me.

My wife wanted the new one in Rose Gold so she ordered herself one... then she thought that I would get upset that she had a better phone then I have so she ordered me the 6S Plus 64 Gig in Space Gray.

She says we were both eligible for the AT&T Next Plan.

I guess I can upload my 4K video to YouTube and watch them on my Samsung 4K TV in 4K.

Well...

My wife wanted the new one in Rose Gold so she ordered herself one... then she thought that I would get upset that she had a better phone then I have so she ordered me the 6S Plus 64 Gig in Space Gray.

I guess I can upload my 4K video to YouTube and watch them on my Samsung 4K TV in 4K.

You'll need this years evolution kit to do so. YouTube will only play max at 1080p without it even though I test with both and saw very little difference with or without the kit.

Well...

What a wife!! :) Tough life for Scott!

I still don't really want it. But I guess she is right I would hate it if she had a better phone then me. :D

I'm buying my kid a macbook pro for college (he is starting in January). I am livid at the idea of him having a machine 3 years newer than mine! :)

A small part of me wanted the 6s plus, but I'll be happy with the 6s. And my morphie will still work for another year.

Let's see. Which is it? Not much content or widely available as your post above said??
People are playing content over and over again (perhaps to convince themselves that it was worth jumping in when they did) and each play typically involves streaming (as the Comcast, AT&T and Sony non-streaming methods are awfully expensive).

I was also speaking to the issue of personally originated UHD content as UHD cameras (camcorders and otherwise) are slowly becoming available.

$200 is on the high side, but there's no doubt in my mind that $114 undervalues the stock. It's part of the reason I hold it in my portfolio.
The metrics are pretty good but Apple just can't seem to generate the Jobs excitement anymore. I hang on to see when I need to punch out of my late Jobsian era purchase as there's going to be some big capital gains for me. Since Apple transitioned from being a growth stock to something else, it just isn't very sexy.

The metrics are pretty good but Apple just can't seem to generate the Jobs excitement anymore. I hang on to see when I need to punch out of my late Jobsian era purchase as there's going to be some big capital gains for me. Since Apple transitioned from being a growth stock to something else, it just isn't very sexy.

You're holding way too long! I trade my first in holdings every quarter when it peaks out and then buy back when it has a nice pullback. Its a much better strategy to build bigger profits and keep the tax impact low. Hold for no longer than a little OVER a year to make the sales long term cap gains. Had you played this strategy, your Job's era number of shares would be 6 times what it is ( split adjusted ratio ) today. You can bail out completely when the company begins to falter. As long as the cash position continues to increase every quarter it is not faltering. Don't let labels by the experts dictate your strategy. value stock, Growth stock are meaningless if you are growing your net worth. Tim Cook has excited me since Day one because unlike Jobs, he is investor friendly. And, he has shown he can still create a new Apple product after Steve. My only complaint is he should be doing more acquisitions and spending some of that cash. Should have bought Netflix and Twitter.

Had you played this strategy, your Job's era number of shares would be 6 times what it is ( split adjusted ratio ) today.
IIRC, the stock value is almost seven times what I paid for it now and trading fees would have scarcely been recovered on dividends. Since I do my own taxes, I don't like trading a lot.

The stock hasn't moved all that much since it hopped back up around 112. Of late, the pundit price projections that used to come quite often have tapered off. I think this owes a lot to a general lack of excitement relating to the announcements.

I use Turbotax and the trading records are simply downloaded to Turbotax in a few seconds. As I trade something every other day, it's not a really big deal for the tax records part. The commission is minuscule in the overall size of the trade. In a $500 gain on a trade what's $10? Obviously you'd be foolish to trade a stock and pay a $10 commission if the gain is only $20, unless you are selling because the company is in trouble. Usually my commission is under 1% of the net gain so I don't care.

When a stock is range bound it becomes a safe play for trading around a core position. But anyone who plays at this needs to realize, the cycles. Apple is not a 2-3 day trade. It is really good for buying and selling around a 12-18 month hold period. Shorter and you may have too big a tax bite, longer and you lose both on high taxable gains as well as the advantages of trading around a core position. Finally, a paper gain of a security is not really a gain until you sell and make the paper gain a cash gain. The more often you take your gains off the table the more money you make.

I don't pay too much mind to the analysts' projected stock price as these are usually propaganda to prop up their own position in the security. Rarely are they correct. I do my own math to determine if the stock will be a benefit to my portfolio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)