"Apple sues HTC over iPhone patents"

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Here.

First Nokia, now - HTC. I guess this is what they kept their cash for...
Too afraid to sue Google/MS directly so they go after their manufacturer.

I hope Apple gets what it deserves...:rolleyes:

Diogen.

Considering everyone is trying to "clone" the iPhone this doesn't surprise me. None of the manufacturers have come out with anything original since. They're all pretty much touch screen knock offs.

Considering everyone is trying to "clone" the iPhone...
I think this means trying to clone iPhone success, right?
Nexus One is just as much a clone of iPhone as iPhone is a clone of a Palm few years prior...

If/when the Apple vs. Nokia case is resolved we'll see who was who's knockoff...

Diogen.

Considering everyone is trying to "clone" the iPhone this doesn't surprise me. None of the manufacturers have come out with anything original since. They're all pretty much touch screen knock offs.

Yeah I know, right, attacking them with patents like the ones they have for multitasking, shame on HTC for putting that in a phone.

A comment from the original Android Central story on this lawsuit this morning captures it well for me.

Apple suing another mobile development company for making bigger and better items than there's? No way... that doesn't sound like something they would do. (Sarcasm intended)

I'll add the :rolleyes:

Somehow Apple thinks they invented the idea of a small portable device that has icons on it that launches programs. Damn, I thought my Palm PDA had that accomplished ten years ago. Wow, touch screen devices without keyboards. Totally original. And Apple talks about gestures as being their concept - anyone remember graffiti? Hmph..... I get so disgusted by the arrogance of apple.

Hmph..... I get so disgusted by the arrogance of apple.
Apple knows how to play the patent game and has some $40B in the bank to hire the best.

Remember Rambus? They are good at that, too. It was disgusting from the start but they won...

I hope Google/MS find ways to lend HTC a hand...

Diogen.

Just watch, once the iPad is generally available, nobody ever invented a tablet computer before.

I think a grass-root campaign titled something like "Apple, f**k you very much!" could be useful...

Diogen.

I think the ITC ruling on the Nokia vs. Apple case will give us the first sense of what to expect from the Apple vs. HTC patent dispute
We expected the ITC to be the primary front in this fight from the start, but now we'll be particularly focused on the Commission's ruling, since several of the patent claims Apple's asserting against Nokia in this case are also being claimed against HTC.
From here.

Diogen.

The federal suit has been put on hold pending the ITC suit they also filed against them. That is the one that is mostly older patents that cover many OSX features and things like multitasking and I think includes the 'we're patenting laws of nature' patent (reducing power to a processor to save battery life).

From the 20 or so patents I think 2-3 will be potential show-stoppers.

The RIM case of few years back can be a sign of how far patent disputes can go (I believe RIM paid some $2B to make it go away).
In this case there is much more at stake...

Diogen.

April can turn out to be an exciting month for the smartphone business in general:
- HTC trio - Desire, Legend and Mini - go on sale in Europe;
- Microsoft Pink is expected to launch in CDMA and GSM formats.
- the first Linux-based MeeGo from LG might show up, too.

Also, more Microsoft Courier info got leaked and looks rather interesting.

Considering April is the launch month for iPad, it's nice to see that all these lawsuits haven't changed anything in other smartphone players' plans.

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts