Apple tv

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Ok, I have been wanting to be able to have a better streaming option than the Sony blu-ray player I have, but I did not want to pay for Netflix. So, after thinking about it for awhile, I decided for $75 (I had $25 in Best Buy rewards), I got an Apple TV.

Hooked it up with my reciever and HDTV. Set it to share with my PC's itunes library (which has a ton of music and a LOT of video from years of purchasing stuff to watch while at the gym). I have to say, I am incredibly impressed. This thing is very easy to use, it is fast (much more so than the sony blu-ray). And I can control it with my iPad, basically using the itunes-like music app. It syncs to both my macbook and my desktop, but I am using the desktop as the primary source; as it has a wired connection.

The only thing it won't connect to is Amazon Prime Instant Video, but I can do that through the blu-ray player.

I can access my you tube videos, I can stream my photo library, all of my music.

I also bought a ethernet to wireless adapter for Dish, so I can access the Dish Online stuff on my 722. I now have three wireless devices in my living room setup. :) All very cool.

Surprisingly, my wife is really excited by this device, particularly once I set up our family vacation photos to show up as the screen saver. :)

I know it doesn't do all the various streaming services, but if you have a large itunes library, its killer.

And I figured out how to enable Airplay. Was able to display a slide show from my iPad to the tv.

Another Apple device?

images

Just Kidding.....

I have also been looking into purchasing one of these. It would be really cool to run a pair of speakers outside and be able to control my iTunes library with the iPad. Would save having to bring out the old 90's boom box to have music outdoors.

Another Apple device?

images

Just Kidding.....

I have also been looking into purchasing one of these. It would be really cool to run a pair of speakers outside and be able to control my iTunes library with the iPad. Would save having to bring out the old 90's boom box to have music outdoors.

I know, I drank the kool-aid. :) But given the scope of my iTunes library, it made sense.

You can accomplish that with an airport express and two speakers.

I really like how you can control your itunes library through the iPad. Next I need to figure out how to mirror the iPad to the tv, not for any reason in particular, but BECAUSE I can. :)

I know you can but I would like to have the two outdoor speakers run to my audio receiver. It already has the second zone so I thought that would be a perfect fit.

Got it. Makes sense. And since it is the same price as the airport express, it offers a lot more bang for the buck.

Apple has the refurbished 2nd-gen AppleTV for $85 if you want to try one for less than list price. Rocky had the BestBuy deal so it was a better deal from them.

Do you have Netflix? It does that, too, as well as the MLB TV (subscription needed). I have had so-so luck with the YouTube app (some videos are Flash-only?) Podcasts are my favorite, though. I subscribe to many of the TWiT netcasts as well as Autoweek, Judge John Hodgman, and David Pougue.

I use my MobileMe account to keep my in-Laws up to date with our vacation photos. I may need to get a Flickr account depending on how iCloud and Photo Streaming work out with the ATV.

Apple has the refurbished 2nd-gen AppleTV for $85 if you want to try one for less than list price. Rocky had the BestBuy deal so it was a better deal from them.

Do you have Netflix? It does that, too, as well as the MLB TV (subscription needed). I have had so-so luck with the YouTube app (some videos are Flash-only?) Podcasts are my favorite, though. I subscribe to many of the TWiT netcasts as well as Autoweek, Judge John Hodgman, and David Pougue.

I use my MobileMe account to keep my in-Laws up to date with our vacation photos. I may need to get a Flickr account depending on how iCloud and Photo Streaming work out with the ATV.

I haven't done much you tube, except some of my own videos of my kid's stuff. I know it does Netflix, but I don't have an account with them. Spending too much on Dish as it is.

I am watching the pilot of Warehouse 13 in HD right now, and the video quality, while 720p, is better than Dish Network. The only snafu's I have had is occasionally the iPad remote won't talk with it properly. But the device is really cool. Even for the full $99, its a very worthwhile gadget to add to my arsenal. :)

Just signed up for the trial of Netflix streaming (the $7.95 package), and watching Jericho on the Apple TV. Hasn't hiccuped one, and the PQ is... gasp... better than Dish. Audio in 5.1. This is impressive. I think I may end up canceling a few of my DIsh Movie packages. I can save money and have far more options. Very nice.

Also read a rumor that its likely that iOS 5 on the Apple TV will permit bluetooth wireless keyboard. That could have huge possibilities.

Bump....

I sold some textbooks to a dealer, and decided to get myself a second Apple TV. The original 720p one will go to the theater room (which only supports 720p anyway), and the new 1080p one will be on my 1080p LCD>

Not sure there is a lot of difference, but the PQ is very good, as is the sound. Watching an episode of Touch - streamed from my iTunes purchases - and the PQ is better than Dish.

Also loaded up a HD episode of Stargate Atlantis on Netflix, and it looked very good. Not sure if there is really a difference, but it is pretty nice. And a SD episode of SG-1 looked quite crisp.

Need to check out airplay from the iPad, and mac still.

We considered an Apple TV, and then considered it again when we wanted a device in the living room that was faster and more reliable than the Revue, ended up with Roku both times because it could play Amazon video. Another thing that I hope changes with Jobs gone.

A lot of talk lately from various news outlets/blogs that AppleTV has already lost this war, not to Roku and Boxee, but instead to Microsoft.

Xbox Live TV: Why Microsoft, not Apple, will dominate television streaming. - Slate Magazine

I don't ever expect Amazon video on the Apple TV, not while they are such competitors. Don't think Steve Jobs has anything to do with it.

I use Netflix and itunes/itunes match, and for that it can't be beat. Add to that airplay from my mac, iPad, and iPhone, and its a killer device. And cheaper than owning an XBox, which I don't need or want. Not a gamer.

I'm looking forward to hooking up my old Apple TV to my projector. A nice addition to my home theater setup.

I love my ATV. While I dont use the Apple streaming at all, I love the Netflix, and I've put my Apple TV files onto a 2TB drive, and I am slowly converting my DVD and BD library to the mp4 format that will play on the Apple. I am not an Apple person, but I truly love this device!

I don't ever expect Amazon video on the Apple TV, not while they are such competitors. Don't think Steve Jobs has anything to do with it.

I use Netflix and itunes/itunes match, and for that it can't be beat. Add to that airplay from my mac, iPad, and iPhone, and its a killer device. And cheaper than owning an XBox, which I don't need or want. Not a gamer.

I'm looking forward to hooking up my old Apple TV to my projector. A nice addition to my home theater setup.

All of which makes it an ideal product for those who are 'all in' on the Apple products, but will ensure it hasn't and doesn't ever grow much beyond that because the value for others diminishes greatly the more options they enjoy for their media.

I like my Apple TV. Its just a shame that Apple hobbles it by not including more services. I spent a long time trying to figure out if I wanted the Roku or the Apple TV. I eventually went with the latter because of the iTunes streaming support from a Mac. I much prefer the Netflix interface on the Apple TV versus that on our other devices (tv, blu-ray player and ps3).

We have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. We primarily use Netflix, but Amazon's free streaming choices are growing all the time. Just with my Apple TV would support that too.

Sony not a big player with the PS3, eh? Can't check now, but they only support a couple of sources?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)