Apple tv

I like my Apple TV. Its just a shame that Apple hobbles it by not including more services. I spent a long time trying to figure out if I wanted the Roku or the Apple TV. I eventually went with the latter because of the iTunes streaming support from a Mac. I much prefer the Netflix interface on the Apple TV versus that on our other devices (tv, blu-ray player and ps3).

We have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. We primarily use Netflix, but Amazon's free streaming choices are growing all the time. Just with my Apple TV would support that too.

If I want to stream Amazon, I can use the blu-ray player I have. But the Apple Netflix interface is very nice, I rarely bother. And I like a lot of old tv, and Netflix is great for that.

And with iTunes Match I have access to everything I have ever bought from iTunes - plus all of my music. Heck, the digital copies of Blu-Rays I buy show up in the purchased films, and stream very nicely. Often look better through the iTunes stream than the original digital copy did.

Elkview said:
Has anyone bought the new Appletv. They are suppose to play Blue ray ?
It does 1080p streaming, but is not bluray. The pq is very good.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Hook it up on another tv. :) The only limitation I have is I need to get a HDMI switch for my theater room, AV Receiver is out of ports.

I could, but I think I'm going to see if my church can use it. More and more folks are bringing iPads. One of our Sunday school teachers has his hooked up to a big screen to display from his Olive Tree app. I think he would much rather be untethered via iPad mirroring.

stimpson said:
I could, but I think I'm going to see if my church can use it. More and more folks are bringing iPads. One of our Sunday school teachers has his hooked up to a big screen to display from his Olive Tree app. I think he would much rather be untethered via iPad mirroring.

That is a great idea. I should mention that to my pastor, she has an iPad but I have never seen her use it in the sanctuary, although another one serves as a portable sound board.

Re: olive tree, I am so glad they "retinized" it. Easier to read than a print bible. But on steroids. :)

Just rented a movie from iTunes (Tower Heist), in 1080p, and I have to say it looks pretty much like a blu-ray. I am impressed. Yeah, its just 5.1DD, but in the room I am in I don't have a 7.1 setup anyway.

I'm definitely impressed with the improvements in the Apple TV. Yes, it does not include all the services everyone wants, but for what it does, it does it extremely well.

I have a Roku XS The best new one available, and rarely use it, last week I got the ATV3 and am impressed(I can play apple lossless files now), I am waiting for the ATV3 jailbreak which will apparently offer a media player not limited to itunes. The biggest reason I decided to get one(other than curiosity), is that when the new Imacs come out I will upgrade and then be able to mirror the Imac on my TV.

I have a Roku XS The best new one available, and rarely use it, last week I got the ATV3 and am impressed(I can play apple lossless files now), I am waiting for the ATV3 jailbreak which will apparently offer a media player not limited to itunes. The biggest reason I decided to get one(other than curiosity), is that when the new Imacs come out I will upgrade and then be able to mirror the Imac on my TV.

From what I am reading in the blogs, a JB for the Apple TV 3 might take awhile, if it comes at all. They apparently made some changes to make it much harder to jailbreak.

The Apple TV 3 Is Going To A B@$%h To Jailbreak | Cult of Mac

But I do love the new one. Everything looks better. $99 well spent.

Sony not a big player with the PS3, eh? Can't check now, but they only support a couple of sources?

Hate to go into an old thread but was looking at Roku info and came across this one. Sorry that I missed this question when it started.

IMO, the PS3 is on par with the 360 as far as these devices go. The main difference between the two as media devices (not gaming devices) is the PS3 has blu-ray obviously and Amazon. The 360 on the other hand offers ESPN3.

Both offer Netflix, Vudu, Hulu plus, and their own video stores such as Zune and the PS Store (or sony store) and others.

So in answer to your last part, no, they offer support for several sources, and if you are looking for an all in one (gaming, physical media, and streaming from multiple sources), it may just be the best option for the money.

It is a shame Apple tv does not support Amazon prime, as it is truly a great device. I use it every day. Some times Dish does not even get turned on.

It is a shame Apple tv does not support Amazon prime, as it is truly a great device. I use it every day. Some times Dish does not even get turned on.

It really seems like it would be a good idea for Amazon prime to come out with an HTML 5 streaming version instead of relying on the flash player. Then they would work on all android and iDevices without having to put out an app.

It really seems like it would be a good idea for Amazon prime to come out with an HTML 5 streaming version instead of relying on the flash player. Then they would work on all android and iDevices without having to put out an app.

Yes, it would be very nice - as then I could airplay it to my apple tv!

Some companies are stuck like that for some reason, Marvel for example uses Flash as the reason they haven't converged their online subscription and app-based services. Seems to be BS to me, they're just enjoying it both ways atm, people buying individual titles, while some enjoy the 'digital unlimited' (with deliberately limited selection).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)