Appointment Set After Receiving Great Directv Genie Upgrade Deal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

maestro7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 7, 2008
Before getting into the details, we (the wife, kids and I) would like to thank this forum for all of the great advice regarding our entertainment providers. As you'll see below, it came in quite handy.

As a bit of a backgrounder, while our current setup has been doing well for us (HR20-100 HDDVR and H21-200 HD receiver), it was becoming time for us to consider at least one additional wireless receiver. And after calling up (as previously mentioned here) DirecTV sporadically about wireless receiver rollouts, their recent "unwired" commercials clearly point to the fact that these devices are now nationwide.

After calling up about a month or so ago, DirecTV was willing to provide a Genie receiver and wireless mini for $49 standard install and $99 wireless bridge install. Since we'd be giving back the H21-200 but keeping the HR20-100, the monthlies would increase by $3/month for WHDVR and $6/month third receiver. Yet, since we're out of contract and would be entering into a new 2-year agreement, we just weren't willing to be initially out of pocket for the upgrade.

Fast forward to last Saturday to my most recent conversation with DirecTV. This time, I chose to start the conversation via chat. The lady with whom I spoke was, of course, very gracious and willing to listen. My intro issue was: what kind of deal could I get to upgrade to Genie DVR with wireless client and keeping our HR20 (we don't want to give up our full, last-season episodes of Chicago Fire, SVU or Chicago PD).

After confirming basic account details, out of the gate she offered free Genie upgrade, meaning no $49 install charge. Given that we've been with DirecTV for probably closer to 15 years, this was a great start. However, she wasn't willing (maybe "able" is a better word?) to move off the wireless Genie mini gateway install (I'm thinking things are too new and DirecTV wants an install done right).

In response, I simply asked her if there was anything she could do in terms of programming or other credits to offset the $99 install fee (I was bound and determined to use the 2-year new agreement to my advantage). I even promised to continue saying good things about the company on forums like this, and mentioned that I figured they're giving away deals on Memorial Day weekend (I am not beneath buttering up CSRs if they're remotely willing to negotiate :) ). She was appreciative.

In fact, her response was to give us a very ample monthly programming credit over the next year (I won't mention details because they obviously treat every case differently, and I believe negotiations from a customer perspective should allow the servicing company the latitude to either come across as helpful or stingy). So, let's just say that we'll more than make up for the $99 install fee in well under 6 months :)

So, since they can't complete orders over chat, she kindly forwarded both me and the second phone CSR a transcript of our chat, containing the details of the original agreed-to terms. That phone call occurred within 20 minutes of the chat session. The second lady was also very professional and allowed me to ask very detailed questions so that all aspects of our resulting setup were perfectly clear. Also, while I mentioned that the impending AT&T/DirecTV merger also helped us decide to go with DirecTV (U-verse is stalled where we are and is the only other viable video service provider), she said she couldn't say much about it except they were happy about it and thought it would mean good things down the line.

Of course, since anyone who frequents forums like this is aware, DirecTV presently carries two model numbers for the Genie HDDVR -- the HR34 and HR44. During the phone call, I asked if there was any way to guarantee an HR44. What follows goes to show why I'm more than happy to stick with DirecTV.

Initially, this CSR stated that by using wireless Genie mini clients that guaranteed an HR44. I was rather surprised to hear that and mentioned that I'd begin sharing online, due to the fact that many others have wanted to find some way to similarly get the same equipment. So, after finishing the upgrade process and getting off the line, she actually called me up about 20 minutes later for the sole purpose of correcting her information. She mentioned in the second call that while no guarantees could be made, she'd notate my account and stated that the odds were very good I'd get an HR44. I also asked what I could do to get the newer device, including rejecting an initial install in hopes of changing the device. She suggested not doing that, as apparently the device would remain the same with a rescheduled appointment. I thanked her for the follow up.

Given the above, we now have a Saturday morning appointment with DirecTV. I am excited about the upgrade (especially the SWM module install, which I'll ask that either a fourth client can be added at this point in the topology or simply rely on a secondary Genie client down the road). I'm not sure what I'd do if the installer only has an HR34, but I intend to be somewhat aggressive in asking the installer what, if anything, can be done to get the newer box (maybe our heavy reliance on wifi will help seal that deal).

I'll follow up on this thread after the install. The great thing about it is that we'll have a collective 7 total tuners with over a terabyte storage space.

What a well thought out post! I would be more specific but it would take as long as your post! ;)

Congrats on the scheduled upgrade!
I recently had DirecTv installed again after an 18 month absence. I had "gone over to the other side" but couldn't pass up the offer that DirecTv made me to come back.
I also read a lot of the threads here and was well prepared when the tech arrived. I had to ask 3-4 times about an HR-44 and the installer just happened to "find one" on his truck after digging around a bit....
It was a very good installation and I am hoping yours goes as well!

I had a free upgrade last year with HR44 and recently with the Wireless Mini C41W, so I say bull that is too new for giving discounts or free upgrades for wireless client, or maybe I was lucky(highly doubtful)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The genie is one heck of a box, especially the HR44, I think you will enjoy it.

You'll find the client boxes, wired or wireless, are slower - but for bedrooms or such they work fine.

I had a free upgrade last year with HR44 and recently with the Wireless Mini C41W, so I say bull that is too new for giving discounts or free upgrades for wireless client, or maybe I was lucky(highly doubtful)

I don't think DirecTV is going to give away wireless bridge installs anytime soon. However, they do like to say (as I've heard them say on a previous call to my OP) that with the $99 charge comes a free client.

But yes, it's true that I'll be net-ahead on this transaction. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

The genie is one heck of a box, especially the HR44, I think you will enjoy it.

You'll find the client boxes, wired or wireless, are slower - but for bedrooms or such they work fine.

Thanks and no worries here. The fact that the mini can be a floater and that we'll have 7 total tuners and more than a terabyte of recording space are our biggest selling points to our specific setup.

I'm still not sure how I've got a wireless client for free including wireless video bridge with no install charge, All I did was ask for more info on the wireless client and how it works and what range it can go from the bridge or HR44 server, He (CSR) was excited to tell me about the C41W and all it's features, then he was eager for the order that he decided to give me up to 3 clients free, but only needed 1, Funny thing was that I've would of paid for it, but ended up surprised with the offer,
Same thing happened with the HR44 last year and HR24 3 years ago, plus a H24 2 years ago.

Like the Directv commercial they should refer me as FREE UPGRADE KING (Not a referral queen :) ), only time I actually paid for a receiver was a HR22 that I don't have anymore, when I signed up 6 years ago, I was never treated like this with Comcast other than a 6 month promo for internet

During this process, while checking the status of my upgrade order, I had called DirecTV yesterday about certain line items like the following:
upload_2014-5-30_8-3-21.png

Towards the end of my 25+ minute phone call into DirecTV, and after speaking with two CSRs who told me that what I was seeing on my screen was actually different than what was on their screen, the supervisor with whom I spoke (a very laid-back guy) mentioned that he had never heard of the above line items in his 5 years with DirecTV. Also said I'd given him something new to figure out, and kindly requested that I call back after the installer was done with my appointment to notate my account with exactly what these line items mean. If only there were more supervisors like this gentleman; very professional, admitted he didn't know what it meant, and was willing to suggest something to help resolve the situation.

Other than the above, the supervisor did say that the vast majority of upgrades are performed with the HR44 receiver, so of course I will be asking the installer "the question" first thing tomorrow morning.

During this process, while checking the status of my upgrade order, I had called DirecTV yesterday about certain line items like the following:
View attachment 97774
Towards the end of my 25+ minute phone call into DirecTV, and after speaking with two CSRs who told me that what I was seeing on my screen was actually different than what was on their screen, the supervisor with whom I spoke (a very laid-back guy) mentioned that he had never heard of the above line items in his 5 years with DirecTV. Also said I'd given him something new to figure out, and kindly requested that I call back after the installer was done with my appointment to notate my account with exactly what these line items mean. If only there were more supervisors like this gentleman; very professional, admitted he didn't know what it meant, and was willing to suggest something to help resolve the situation.

Other than the above, the supervisor did say that the vast majority of upgrades are performed with the HR44 receiver, so of course I will be asking the installer "the question" first thing tomorrow morning.
Maybe a snafu from the CSR when they processed the order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Appointment kept and went exceptionally well. Had one of the handful of lady techs in the Atlanta area -- she was very good.

She mentioned that not only does our east Atlanta warehouse stock only HR44s, but they also upgrade using SWM16s, not 8s (yes, I got both installed).

In fact, as the HR44 was checking sat settings, 2 of 4 satellites were not registering high enough channel levels. Therefore, she also changed out the LNB on the dish. This resulted in virtually all signal levels above 90%; she also dithered the dish, which she didn't think was done a few years ago.

With the HR20-100, I mentioned the very specific whole-home setup for this device. While we did try the standard DECA setup first, we then set it up using the one-off config -- which worked without issue.

The wireless mini is also very nice. DirecTV software does invoke a very deliberate, literally 10-minute process to initially set up the client. However, once it's configured, it works like a charm. Only thing that interrupts the video is the software process to download to a client. For us, it occurred in the first 20 minutes; it makes the client go down for a couple minutes and then comes back up.

The only downside to relying on minis hanging off the Genie is that if the main Genie goes down for any reason -- including system testing -- then the minis will go down.

The wife and I are very pleased with the final product. We are able to play recordings across both DVRs (and mini client). The List differentiates which DVR houses the recording by a bracketed name of the DVR prepended to the recording's title.

Bottom line: While the Genie and mini wireless client are a great combination, I would definitely recommend that a separate DVR -- or even non-DVR tuner -- be used in a typical scenario.

I just gt my genie HR 44-500 and the mimi C41-100 installed today. We had an interesting situation as we moved at the end of March and got the promotion they had then for both units as an upgrade. However, our new landlord di not want it on the roof which was ok BUT they could not put it on the siding so they had to do a pole mount(only way to get service). Because the ground was still frozen then they could not do the install then. Some family issues came up but we had those taken care of and got yhr bill payed up and Sunday night I called DirecTV to set up the move. I spent close to 50 minutes on the phone as the CSR had to go in and make sure we got the promotion we were offered in March for a genie and a mini. She did and so today they came and goot it in and it works like a charm. Installer spent about 2 1/2 hours at our place as he had to install the polefor the bird. But it is nice to FINALLY have DTV back. I did keep my cable mainly for 1 OTA channel to our west which will come in handy when severe weather threatens this summer. It is nice to be back though.

Reactions: raoul5788
I had been a customer for over 4 years with 2 HR24s and WHDVR and Extra package. Close to $100 per month. I asked for a Genie upgrade and was told $349 plus $49 upgrade fee and $49 install and new 2 yr contract. I questioned 3 tiers of CS reps about it but no better deal.
I am now a Dishnet customer.

I had been a customer for over 4 years with 2 HR24s and WHDVR and Extra package. Close to $100 per month. I asked for a Genie upgrade and was told $349 plus $49 upgrade fee and $49 install and new 2 yr contract. I questioned 3 tiers of CS reps about it but no better deal.
I am now a Dishnet customer.

Sorry to hear about that. I know that for the first year or three after the Genie originally came out, any CSR I talked to actually gave me far higher quotes than that. I'm not sure if they gave me lots of goodies simply because we had been out of contract for about 2 years or so, or because we've been with DirecTV for over a decade, or what it was.

The OP mentions he spoke with Directv support via live chat, how do you do that? I don't see the option anywhere on the site.

The OP mentions he spoke with Directv support via live chat, how do you do that? I don't see the option anywhere on the site.

Yes -- I was perusing the site via iPad when the option presented itself, somewhat like a pop-up.

I don't know if it's a purely mobile-based function, as I haven't seen anything like it on the PC side.

Yes -- I was perusing the site via iPad when the option presented itself, somewhat like a pop-up.

I don't know if it's a purely mobile-based function, as I haven't seen anything like it on the PC side.

I ended up finding it on the new customer page, when you are looking at the package selection a chat window appears on the right but they wanted nothing to do with an existing customer.

I think it's fairly new for existing customers, I think only some accounts will receive the popup [probably a slow roll out] when they log in and go to there Recent Activity under the My Bills & Transactions section. I will share the direct link though so you can bookmark for future reference: https://support.directv.com/app/chat/chat_launch

Also, I do not think it is staffed 24/7.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)